The pet culture in Panama

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Panama just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Panama by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Panama? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I'll take a second and comment on my two rottweilers, Rosa and Porky. 

They might be two of the happiest dogs in Panama.  They like their job (security).  They have all of the freedom that they might want...at least on the 55 hectares here at Lago Bay. 
The guests and volunteers that come to Lago Bay always give them extra attention.  When there is a real estate tour here, the two dogs always run close to the truck and give another dimension of energy to the tour.
They swim in the ocean with the fish.  They swim in the lake with the alligators.  They sing with the coyotes at night.  They eat their dog food mixed with fish and moringa...and are absolutely HUGE.

So...my pet culture is one of love with an open hand.  Life is short. 

PS  no offense to anyone with yappy little house dogs.

We don't have a dog, but my panamain neighbour needed a ride to
Town yesterday.  She lives in what we would call a shack. Anyway,
She bought a small bottle of dog shampoo, I was shocked!!, 
Corn flakes was on sale for $1.69 but she would not buy that,
(I think she wanted me to buy it for her, lol) but could buy dog
Shampoo, 🤷🏼‍♀️.  Also I asked what she feed her dogs, as I had
Heard they feed their dogs rice and could not figure out why
They kept dying, 🤦‍♀️, however she told me they get pedigree?.
But she is more educated than her father, so maybe they are
Making changes.