Is it safe to travel to Thailand now?

I've planned a month long trip to Thailand and Laos in January. Should I consider changing my plans and not visiting Thailand due to the recent political unrest? Thanks!

Hello Tiger...
I don't know much about how it is to be in Thailand, but from what I heard, the situation is going to be back on track soon. January seems like a good plan.
Unless your local authorities advice otherwise ? You should either contact the Thai embassy where you live, or contact your embassy in Thailand. If ever something happens, they are the ones sending you back home, so maybe that's a call you should consider :-)

Thailand is and remains what it always has been i.e. a relatively safe place to visit providing you apply a little common sense to your travel plans.

The airport occupation is over (but could happen again)and the political climate is still turbulent.  The ordinary Thais would love to see you (as would the Government) since the unrest has definitely affected tourism figures which will effect GDP this year.

I have travelled extensively in my life and never had a problem (lucky?)in Asia.  Having said that I always have a sensible back-up plan in place.

By the way I live on the Gulf Coast of Thailand and apart from a slight lack of tourists you would never guess there had been any problems. 

There are some great Thailand blogs (mine included) that have practical information and insight.

As Mike says the place to get the info is from the bloggers on the spot. These are mainly written for free of course, not to sell papers with soundbite news, so most tell things as they are.

Mine gives off mixed messages - I think there's more to come (in terms of unrest), but I doubt tourists will be affected. I wouldn't hesitate to come here personally. Once away from the main urban areas you would hardly know there's a crisis at all.

Behind the colourful red and yellow images on the TV, most Thais (polled recently) had had enough and just wanted to get on with their lives.

Hi Tiger, did you get to Thailand? I hope you had a good time here. David (Isaan).

there is one thing for sure you are far safer in Thailand then i would be walking the streets of London after dark
anybody planning a trip to Thailand should have a great time :D
for the latest blog updates on Thailand visit Thai expat info

And as far as political unrest is concerned, Thai residents like me see it on TV, as you do.
And I can confirm that, Thailand is one of the safest place on earth.