Getting rid of house ants

https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9624bbdf022e3b5395236d5cf8.ssl.cf4.rackcdn.com/Product-800x800/825c3d2b-84ae-49d8-805b-7f849395e2ff.jpgI continue my exploration  of Vietnamese insects and western ways to get rid of them.
Today my parcel from Australia arrived. I got 1kg of Borax which is advertised as ultimate ants problem solution.
I mixed some sugar with Borax and placed next to colony. In 5 minutes there were hundreds of ants taking crystals to their colony. Being unable  to distinguish between sugar and Borax crystals on spot they carry deadly chemical right to their nest.  Manufacturer advises to suppress the urge to kill them on spot and wait 24-48h.
Borax interferes with their digest system effectively killing whole colony at once.
I'll keep you updated on how good (or bad) it is.

I had to deal with some insect problems when I moved into a house that was unoccupied for a while. I can only speak from my experience.

There are ants that come up through the poor quality foundations. However I only see them when there is something, somewhere on the floor they want to eat. So just by keeping the floors clean I deal with that problem. Rarely do they appear.

Cockroaches... there were many but once i killed them all and made sure there was no way for more to get in the problem was solved. I am surprised that I have not seen any since the massacre. I was expecting one or two occasionally.

Then there is the geckos. Not insects sure, but pests nonetheless. I don't know how to keep them out. They just get in somehow. They get stuck in the roach motels. The poop everywhere... sometimes stuck on the wall. I hate them so much.

The geckos may be a nuisance but remember that they feed on roaches.  As with any predator/prey situation, they will not fully eliminate a food source but they will keep them down.

Quick update on ants.
I applied sugar/Borax mixture in 6 places around the house yesterday. All of them were colony locations. I spent extra time tracing their roots.
Today inspection: zero activity observed. Literally zero. Works like magic.
So, you can refer to this article for tips: https://www.diynatural.com/how-to-get-r … naturally/
I'm happy with the result. Will apply low dose of Borax while moping the floor to prevent them spreading.
I used Australian Borax but you can use local. Chemical composition in quite simple and make no sense to fake it.

Great results and thanks for the follow-up.  Will look into this.  Almost too simple!

My experience was that I found Borax based soaps in Vietnam but never pure Borax.  Maybe someone can relate where they find it, if they do.

THIGV wrote:

My experience was that I found Borax based soaps in Vietnam but never pure Borax.  Maybe someone can relate where they find it, if they do.

Borax is called ‘hàn the' and sold at most neighbourhood markets.

Here's the same recipe as OP's for ant killing in Vietnamese: Ants

THIGV wrote:

Could you please refer to some names? I'd like to present some not so radically invasive to my in-laws.

dew_point wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Could you please refer to some names? I'd like to present some not so radically invasive to my in-laws.

As I recall the soaps are very low in % Boron.  I would be surprised if they work.  Probably better to follow up on Ciambella's suggestion.  If you show them the words hàn the in Vietnamese, I am sure that they will find the product.  Let them do the looking as they will do it better than you can.  Who knows, they might already have some on the shelf.

THIGV wrote:
dew_point wrote:
THIGV wrote:

As I recall the soaps are very low in % Boron.  I would be surprised if they work.  Probably better to follow up on Ciambella's suggestion.  If you show them the words hàn the in Vietnamese, I am sure that they will find the product.  Let them do the looking as they will do it better than you can.  Who knows, they might already have some on the shelf.

Yeah, it's good as a laundry additive, Ronald Reagan said so (he sold 20 Mule Team Borax on TV before he became Governor of California)

It's possible they have some that they use for that purpose, though I have no direct knowledge of that.