Is ocean fishing in Da nang possible?

Hey guys

I spent 1 month earlier this year in Saigon, loved it, want to go back, but air quality is just too bad for me to deal with, so im now planning to go to Da nang.

I plan to bring my own fishing gear, very minor stuff, short travel rod and a few hooks and lures etc...

But is there any place to go OCEAN fishing , like off a bridge, off a pier, off some rocks?

I don't want to go on any boats, I just like doing my own thing and not depending on anyone.

Its my dream to catch fresh fish from the ocean and go fry them up in my apartment.

Thanks in advance guys

I went fishing for the first time not far from Da Nang at Cu Lao Cham island. We had a private scuba diving course with a local there and he took us fishing on his boat. Was great, caught my first ever fish and we barbequed it right on the beach.  With hindsight, I think the area is a protected from overfishing but we were with the local who took us out and I assume it was ok.  I was so happy with catching my first ever fish, I think I will take it up more.

We stayed two nights on the island and it's very peaceful. There isn't much to do in the evenings but go fishing and the locals gather at the pier in the evening to fish.

The water is the clearest and cleanest I've seen in Vietnam and you can see all the fish swarming around the pier. Never seen swarms of fish like that.

I see many locals surf fishing on the beach, and along the peir, riverside.
I'm a fisherman, and see many different places to cast a line.
Different techniques there, u must adapt. Locals know!

Thanks a lot , I didn't even know about that island until now, it looks amazing, exactly the type of place I like

appreciate the info

Canman63 wrote:

nice, that's all I needed to hear

Im not looking for big game , just reeling in a few fish here and there, maybe a crab maybe who knows

Did you ever drop a line yourself? if not why so ?

1willy1 wrote:

...is there any place to go OCEAN fishing , like off a bridge, off a pier, off some rocks?

From The Beach
(Monsoon season in Danang 2018/2019)

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/danang-surf-fishing-01.jpeg

1willy1 wrote:
Canman63 wrote:

nice, that's all I needed to hear

Im not looking for big game , just reeling in a few fish here and there, maybe a crab maybe who knows

Did you ever drop a line yourself? if not why so ?

didnt have any gear and didn't feel like buying any.

I have 20 fishing outfits in canada, of different kinds, another may be overkill.haha, and then hauling the fishing rod around for months with airline travel?????? Etc?

Canman63 wrote:

I have 20 fishing outfits in canada, of different kinds, another may be overkill.haha, and then hauling the fishing rod around for months with airline travel?????? Etc?

Heading home to the US the end of the month and heading up to NW Ontario for our annual 10 day fishing trip.  Haven't missed it for 23 years and not about to start now just because I live 10,000 miles away.

This exactly where I live.

Canman63 wrote:

This exactly where I live.

We always go about 40km north of Kenora in Minaki.  Love the area.  I miss fishing.  The last time my boat was wet was Canada last September.  It's what I miss most about being back in the US.

I'm in Thunder Bay, going for walleye in the morning, I'm spoiled, wouldn't give it up for nothing, Canada in the summer, Asia in the winter.

Canman63 wrote:

I'm in Thunder Bay, going for walleye in the morning, I'm spoiled, wouldn't give it up for nothing, Canada in the summer, Asia in the winter.

That is still a possibility for me after retirement.  I always said 6 months US and 6 months Vietnam but really 5 months in NW Ontario, 7 months in Vietnam would be great.  If I can stay out of the us 330 days per year I can avoid paying income taxes on the first $102,000 or so of income each year so I have that going for me.

Canman63 wrote:

I think of Thunder Bay as the gateway to summer paradise.

I bought a new 1993 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4  in the spring of '93.

That summer I drove it from San Diego up through Montana and across part of the Trans Canada Highway 1 to Thunder Bay.

I continued along the north shore of Superior and camped out at the crystal clear water's edge in one of the beautiful provincial parks.

August was definitely a perfect time to visit.

Yes I am blessed to live here in gods country, we have a family summer home on the shore of Lake Superior, my salmon boat in the water there.
Just returned from fishing, 1 hour from my city, 40 walleye, fresh shore lunch, back by 5 pm.
Life is good.

I just booked my tickets to danang and I found out about "monkey mountain" , where I can go fishing off rocks and stuff

Really looking forward too it, I plan to update this thread once I get there

I know this is an old thread but I too love fishing the salt.  Here in Oregon we fish for salmon, halibut, rockfish, lingcod and tuna.

Is there any off shore game fishing out of Da Nang?  Seems like there is some in the south of Vietnam.  Any on the mid coast?  I just might have to bring a few rods/reels & tackle if so.

Jimpdxusa wrote:

I know this is an old thread but I too love fishing the salt.  Here in Oregon we fish for salmon, halibut, rockfish, lingcod and tuna.

Is there any off shore game fishing out of Da Nang?  Seems like there is some in the south of Vietnam.  Any on the mid coast?  I just might have to bring a few rods/reels & tackle if so.

I've done three trips out of Con Dao Island south of Vietnam but nothing else north of there.  It's different fishing here.  Really cheap, but different.

A boat, fuel and captain will run you $80-100 per day.  Maybe $120 if they have a couple of mates.  Almost all fishing is dragging squid on the bottom.  Can be good, can be terrible.  Very suseptible to weather, current and season.  Boats are the old 30' wooden "Vietnamese Fishing Boats" that you think of when you think of Vietnam.  They are displacement craft so it can be 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get to your fishing destination at 5mph.  They really aren't old, they do look it.  The one we were on last weekend looked to be 50-60 years old.  The captain said he bought it new 11 years ago.

We have done extended trips where we spent three days and two nights on the boat.  Conditions are primitive.  There are no facilities or beds.  But they travel at night and the captain and mates will fish for squid from about 12-2 am and then move so you can wake up "on the spot" at 5 am.  It makes the lack of facilities worth it if you are really there to fish and not for a vacation.

All of the captains at least out of Con Dao Island only speak Vietnamese.

Thanks for the reply.  Perhaps I can teach them a few tricks with speed jigging.  It sure would be nice to get into some pelagic fish.  Regardless looking for some time on the salt.

Jimpdxusa wrote:

Short answer: no

There's always fishing of some type available,

Use Google Maps in satellite view and take a look at the continental shelf.

It extends out far from the Danang area, and the nearest area with any kind of possible sports fishing is also the area where the Chinese military is making trouble for Vietnamese fishermen.

You couldn't pay me to take an overnight trip to the Paracel islands for that reason, and there really isn't any business providing that service, so you would need to convince an independent fisherman that it was worth the risk and the effort to take you there.

I'm guessing you'd be paying through the nose for that.

You might be able to find some kind of better fishing out at the Chàm islands off the coast of Hội An (immediately south of Đà Nẵng) but nobody in the Facebook groups is reporting anything significant there.

For true sportfishing, Đà Nẵng is not the answer.

Good luck with your moving plans.

I've spent a lot of time in the Danang area, so feel free to add me as a contact and send me a private message if you need more information on the area.

Also, putting aside how difficult it's going to be to make the move (considering new restrictions in place due to the covid-19 pandemic) be prepared for a somewhat devastated town in the expat friendly areas.

Hopefully by the time you make the move, there will be a resurgence in the local economy and many of the support businesses will be back in operation.

If you're willing to venture away from the expat enclave you will find that Đà Nẵng is functioning fairly well.

Try this one.

facebook.com/danangfishing/

Ocean thank for the response.  Yeah we all have been affected by this pandemic, including the business I own, hence the desire to pull the pin early.  Hopefully by the time I get my ducks in a row and the borders open, I can land softly.  Ether way I am very excited to give it a go.

I don't think VN has law about fishing in the rivers, ocean, etc.  Whether you catch anything or not is the question.