Clearing your belongings through customs in Belize

Hello everyone,

During one's big move abroad, shipping personal belongings to the host country can be stressful. Customs regulations differ from one country to another and you never quite know what to expect when trying to recover your belongings once you're settled. How about helping expats considering moving to Belize by answering some questions about custom regulations?

What are the procedures to get your belongings cleared by customs once you have arrived in Belize? Who do you have to contact and how do you get in touch with them? How do you go about from there?

How long does this process usually take?

How do you then carry your belongings to your new home?

Are there any items that are restricted by customs in Belize?

How much does it cost to get your belongings cleared by customs in Belize? Does the cost change depending on the amount or on certain specific items?

Do you think it is better to seek the help of a contractor to get your belongings cleared in Belize?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I would also like those answers please..

We are using a customs broker

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory or share the names/contact details through the private messaging system of the website. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Not to be nosey but how much does a broker cost, and where is the best place to find one

If the FORUM is going to post broad questions for all countries  actuallyaskig for experiences it seems odd that it then takes down/moderates posts from those sharing their experiences. If you are worried the question is going to provoke names or recommendations which you then view as ads, then modify how you ask your question.

Great topic!

I am a US citizen looking to move to Belize at the beginning of the year. I have worked in the hospitality industry (at least part time; sometimes full) for over 14 years but have focused most of the last six years on my health coaching practice, obtaining my masters in psychology, writing, research and other certifications to best benefit my clients.
I would like to know if there are jobs available in areas such as Caye Caulker in the hospitality industry or any industry I am qualified to work within, how difficult they are to find and what part of Belize you suggest would be best for me to start this journey.
I want to come down there and spend a few weeks /months during which time I can find a permanent place to live, figure out transportation, explore different communities, yoga and guided meditation, as well as discover if sustainable agriculture and plant propagation (on a small scale).
Any and all thoughts are welcome!!

You might check out Serenity Retreats Belize in Corozal district. I think they have a program where you can stay in exchange for teaching. Getting a work permit can be pretty challenging especially if competing against locals for jobs. You might check out the San Pedro Scoop blog. The woman who writes it talks about how she got her start on SP as a bartender and the process she went through. As for growing your own food..... things grow here in abundance. I've got a couple avocados in my kitchen that are a couple pounds each :) But space and soil quality on the cayes may make anything bigger than a container garden a challenge.

Yikes! MelsT
For the very first post you ask a lot🙄. Most of which has been answered over and over again in this forum. I suggest using the search feature (magnifying glass top right) then use the introduction section as the form rules ask.

Then come back and ask focused questions that have not been covered. 😁

To save you a little time - not likely you will be able to find work in Belize, unless you are recruited by a company in Belize, or you can work remotely via the net. Getting a work permit would be a challenge if you are not a permanent resident. If you have the resources, you can start a business, but you can't really work within the business.  Unlike some countries, Belize reserves most job opportunities for the native population. Not to say it's an insurmountable task, but it would be difficult to find employment. Best bet is to be able to sustain yourself in-country for  a year, and apply for permanent resident status.
Good luck in your venture!

terrific wrote:

If the FORUM is going to post broad questions for all countries  actuallyaskig for experiences it seems odd that it then takes down/moderates posts from those sharing their experiences. If you are worried the question is going to provoke names or recommendations which you then view as ads, then modify how you ask your question.

If the forum admins are going to remove posts because they list a name or business then they can expect less contributors to this forum. Listing a name of a place where expats can meet or a vendor relevant to the question asked is different than advertising. I'm not going to spend time loading vendors or PM'ing responses repeatedly. I don't have that kind of time  :joking: