Keeping fit in Bulgaria

Hello everyone,

Keeping fit during your time in Bulgaria is of utmost importance. How about sharing with us and your fellow expats how you keep healthy in your host country?

What are your daily health hacks in Bulgaria?

Do you exercise regularly? What is your go-to sport?

Do you manage to keep your diet healthy and balanced? How easy is it to maintain a balanced diet in Bulgaria? Are you able to find organic products easily?

Are there national or local incentives to foster a healthy lifestyle: sensitisation campaigns, sports infrastructure etc. ?

How much of your monthly budget is dedicated to keeping fit?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

In the larger towns and cities there are plenty of fitness centers.  In the villages you can keep fit by working on your garden. I walk my dogs every day, I also try to do yoga every day, but not so much in summer, when  swim every day.

Eating well is easy if you grow your own food, or you can buy from the locals, fruit trees are everywhere. Also in the shops fruit and veg is quite cheap.

My biggest expense is the pool, but I wouldn't be without it.

Winter isn't the best time to be outside exercising, and considering the profusion of gyms in Varna it seems the best idea to join a gym...

There's no time limit with the gyms I go to, and you can stay from opening until they drag you out semi conscious.
You pay 10 to 12 Leva a week and you can really make a difference in your level of  fitness.

I think the gym is the best choice...

Hello, I am thinking of moving to Bulgaria either near Plovdiv or in the country near Sofia. I have a dog. I am concerned of walking my dog freely in Bulgaria because of the strays, have you found that at all a problem in your experience? with many thanks

I don't think you will have any problems with the stray dogs. You should rather be careful when you approach strong dogs led by weak people.

Last week a pitbul, led by an old lady attacked 3 people because she was not able to control it.

We host a regular group trail run on Mt Vitosha when the weather gets a little warmer. Anyone interested is welcome. No charge of course.