Moving from USA to the netherlands as a single mom with 4 children.

Hi. My name is Melissa and i was born in Curacao and i am currently living in Dallas Texas as a single mom with 4 children. I am interested to learn everything from best places to live with children and what kind of help are offered to single mothers. My children are ages 10,8,6,5. I think the 2 younger kids will adapt faster in the public school system but im worried about my 2 oldest and i can not afford the international school tuition. They only speak english. I plan to move because i am disappointed of the safety in elementary schools here and lack of help. The Netherlands i think will have a better quality of life for us but im still just sceptical for my older kids not to fall behind in school. I want any information anyone can offer. Also all the things you have to do as soon as you arrive. I have my dutch citizenship but my kids are american citizens.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The Netherlands has certainly got many social schemes that are designed to help people who need it, not all are suitable for you but there are a couple of social security systems you can contact to ask questions:

1.  The Sociale Verzekeringsbank; this link will take you to their website.

2. The Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen; this link will take you to their website.

I have no idea what kind of response you will get from them or if there is any social support for people like yourself who are currently living abroad, but you can always ask.  The only person I know in your situation is completely dependant on the local Foodbank, so I suspect it won't be much.

With regards to the housing; there are social housing associations, but the priority for these houses is now being aimed at asylum seekers; this link will take you to a Dutch Government website that explains the system.  Do you have any family living in Holland who can help you out?

Education; this matter has been discussed many times in the Forum; I'd advise you to read through the other threads and find these discussions.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team