Stolen items from Airport

My husband is Brazilian and all of our family is in Brazil. We got married last year and the year before we sent our wedding invitations which were paper, in a basic envelope and they never arrived. I am assuming as the postage was marked Canada. We have not been home in 8 years nor have seen our immediate family someone had sticky fingers.

As we have a BIG family 9 siblings, 10+ nieces and nephews, 2 sets of parents, brothers and sisters in law etc. We are bringing gifts for everyone has we have not been in almost a decade. We also have not met many of our new family members.

Looking for Canadians who travel back and forth and wondering what precautionary  measures they take to ensure their luggage is not stolen, opened, riffled threw, items missing or items all gone etc.

As its been almost a decade since we've been home......do they open all luggage, is it lottery system, do they open wrapped items, what are the chances of our items disappearing, do they open your luggage in front of you when inspecting . Anything you can provide would be swell.

I am losing sleep over missing or stolen items for family.

Thanks

As its been almost a decade since we've been home......do they open all luggage, is it lottery system, do they open wrapped items, what are the chances of our items disappearing, do they open your luggage in front of you when inspecting . Anything you can provide would be swell.

I am losing sleep over missing or stolen items for family.
-----------------------------------
I am not from Canada but do go to the US often. Yes they are in complete control of luggage and can open all. That said you luggage is vetted via dogs and x-ray. If an item alerts them of something odd (too them). PF, Brazilian Ministry of Agriculture and/or RF will search luggage.
Yes they open wrapped items and recommend not wrapping items. Baggage handlers are always in a rush to get luggage to the flight and sometimes takes a good "toss" to do so. Along with the new luggage handling machines bags take a beating.
Please check Canada's items prohibited into the Crown also.
I would not place valuable items in checked bags. Luggage may have locks but still can be opened.