Looking for advice... In the Da Nang area.

Where to start… I am a 60-year old retired “American Expat” (currently) living in Thailand and have been, for the last ten years or so. My long-range plan was to live out a simple laid-back life with my Thai wife, in a small village, without any more Bangkok traffic headaches or the stress associated with big city life.

That was the plan.

As most of you here in Vietnam may have heard… The Thai government has just issued brand new visa regulations and rules, taking effect now and starting for next year's visa applications, for expat “retirement” holders in the Kingdom. I won't bother you with all the smaller details, but the big change that has everyone so pissed off, is that they (Thai Immigration) will now require each of us, to put $25,000.00 USD into a “noninterest-bearing” fixed Thai account each year and not touch it. Our U.S. Embassy in Bangkok used to sign off on this requirement… In the form of an income affidavit. But as of January 1st, 2019, they will no longer do this, because the Thai government is now going to “actually” require them to confirm the amounts listed.

Thanks to all the *** drinking up and then trying to live on their $1000.00-dollar SSI checks and not paying their bills. The rest of us, that have more than enough for our monthly income and health insurance, get screwed in the process. Now… Some of you that have huge retirement cash reserves and huge piles of cash just lying around in your desk drawer, may think $25,000.00 would be a piece of cake to just deposit and forget. Well, in my case, the ex-wife in the states got everything except the bills in my last divorce and I've just dumped (before they changed the rules) about a hundred thousand bucks in a brand-new Thai home for my wife. Like most of us do for when we pass on. Frankly… That much cash today for me, is not a short-term option and for a lot of us in the same boat.

So… Where does that leave me? You got it, having to move on. I'm now out on a 3-country recon-run looking for new places that my wife and I could live in for like half the year. I'm more than able to rent a condo, car, motorbike and find the Big C and don't require that kind of help. My problem is finding out where the safest places and districts are in Da Nang or the surrounding area. What hospital should I go to and what service do they provide? Where to meet people? Basic daily living stuff… but when you only have a week to check things out… Very important and much faster to just talk to someone local.

Anyway… If you guys have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I would be more than willing to buy a beverage or two if anyone wanted to meet up this week.

Thank You in advance for your help and assistance.

Tp cut some of your illusions; safe places don't exist, at least in VietnamIt does not matter, how big is the city, the traffic is all the same. If there is a road, there is at least one traffic jam. And if nt, then are two traffic jams

Personally for me, Danang  is one of the worse pkaces, I have seen here in Vietnam. No historically groiwn/build nonsense, but all  just recently fast assembled and worse, than people 500 years ago would have done.

Danang is IT  start-up and has some university, so endless young folks and nowhere and nothing, where they life up accordingly
I have not seen or heard reaaly about signicant danang local expat groups, the population for such seems quite low. You might have to search long for loal help.

Maybe some local can give you some hope ....
And moneywise, like mandatory depositing into bank accounts, this will come for sure also to Vietnam. The foreigner is a milk cow feeding whole countrues

Thank You for your reply...

I was waiting for Da Nang people to respond ... until they do I will offer my opinion after one visit. Da Nang was instantly my favorite city in Vietnam. There are many expats there, and many more saying they like or plan to move there. Compared to Saigon, it is better because: beautiful beaches, clean, wide roads, much much less traffic, much safer for motorbikes, overall newer if you like that, according to a resident we talked to there is low crime, the fact that there are no motorbike guards anywhere (only saw one at KFC) implies there must be less vehicle theft (right?). It is close to Hoi An and its beach, close to Hue, some nice hills nearby.

We drove around a lot. The Thanh Khe district, and area west of the airport is old and poorer. The north bay beach is way past it's prime and a newspaper reported pollution. I liked My An beach area, east of the river. But that is where there is so much construction.

Negatives: There are reports of sewage getting into the ocean which is a problem for swimming but I have to believe it will be corrected in the future. Make sure you don't stay next door to a construction site as there is too much building going on. Because Da Nang has been discovered.

I would move there yesterday but my wife is working in Saigon. Someday maybe.

From what I have heard, the way your describing the new visa requirement in Thailand isn't quite correct. The visa process is the same. Its just that the US embassy is not in the business of verifying income any more. But you do not need the money in a Thai bank account. You can hear more on it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163iT6X7iTg&t=610s

Although maybe due to your divorce your ready for a change of location anyway.

Thank You for your post my friend.  After 5 days of touring, we are getting very comfortable with the Da Nang are and agree with you. If you ever get here... The first beverage is on me.

My friend... I've lived there for ten years.

FACT: To get a 1 year "Retirement" visa in Thailand starting next year, you must deposit (800,000 Baht) or about $25,000 U.S. dollars in a non-interest bearing, fixed Thai bank account 3 months prior to applying for it.

Starting on Jan 1st... The U.S. Embassy has nothing to do with it anymore. Don't confuse things. This is causing many people to think they can get away with the things they used to do.

There are so many people out there not reading the information or not understanding the rule.

Hey Stew,

I was just wondering if your decision was set on Da Nang? Is it because you want to be close to the beach? Because I will probably end up one day in a much less touristy city in the Mekong Delta, probably Rach Gia, a place I go once very two years. The reason why I love that place is that even though there's no beach, it's along the ocean so you've got amazing coffee shops and seafood restaurant on the seaside, and prices (including rents) are much cheaper than touristy places like Nha Tran or Da Nang. I don't think they've got a Big C yet, they used to have a Metro but I heard it closed last year. I'm guessing your Coop-Mart or Citimart still works. You're also very close to Phu Quoc when you need the beach, and there are straight flights from Saigon to Rach Gia (every morning), which is a big plus.

Well that's it, I'm done with my Rach Tourism Board preaching but just wanted to give you more options to think about. There's no way I'd ever go live in Da Nang, Mui Ne, Nha Tran etc which is invaded by Russian tourists, me and them don't get along quite well.

Good morning my friend... Yes we had looked at that island down south as an option. No the beach... Has no interest for me. The hospital situation is my first priority. Da Nang has hospital "C" that is able to check my pacemaker and make changes... Until I could get back to my doctor in Bangkok.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply... My offer stands. The next beverage is on me if we are ever in the same place. Take Care and I thank you for your time.

I used to follow their vlog when they lived in Vietnam but stopped after they moved away. Anyways, a good video for real estate in Da Nang to buy but I guess same for rental too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYXmduK-rQE

Thank you very much.

Stewart Strum wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply... My offer stands. The next beverage is on me if we are ever in the same place. Take Care and I thank you for your time.

Well, I'll be around in January if our paths cross then I'll definitely follow up on your offer  :D

WillyBaldy

The offer stands my friend. Thank you for your post.

Hi Stewart.

My husband was also recently hospitilized and we found the best one and the most cost-effective hospital to be My An Hospital.  It also has an international department where the assistants speak English.  I am happy to assist you with any questions you have about Danang and various services, etc.

Thank you so much... Would it be possible for us to chat using e-mail?

Mine is XXX

My wife and I will also be in Vietnam for three weeks or so in March... I would be more than happy to buy you a coffee or lunch.

Take Care

Moderated by Julien 5 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Stewart Strum wrote:

My friend... I've lived there for ten years.

FACT: To get a 1 year "Retirement" visa in Thailand starting next year, you must deposit (800,000 Baht) or about $25,000 U.S. dollars in a non-interest bearing, fixed Thai bank account 3 months prior to applying for it.

Starting on Jan 1st... The U.S. Embassy has nothing to do with it anymore. Don't confuse things. This is causing many people to think they can get away with the things they used to do.

There are so many people out there not reading the information or not understanding the rule.

I'm definitely enjoying Đà Nẵng. Hope you do too.

Here is an excerpt from the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington D.C. website:

"6. Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required"

consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

l3ully wrote:

Tp cut some of your illusions; safe places don't exist, at least in VietnamIt does not matter, how big is the city, the traffic is all the same. If there is a road, there is at least one traffic jam. And if nt, then are two traffic jams

Personally for me, Danang  is one of the worse pkaces, I have seen here in Vietnam. No historically groiwn/build nonsense, but all  just recently fast assembled and worse, than people 500 years ago would have done.

Danang is IT  start-up and has some university, so endless young folks and nowhere and nothing, where they life up accordingly
I have not seen or heard reaaly about signicant danang local expat groups, the population for such seems quite low. You might have to search long for loal help.

Maybe some local can give you some hope ....
And moneywise, like mandatory depositing into bank accounts, this will come for sure also to Vietnam. The foreigner is a milk cow feeding whole countrues

I hope you keep your negativity in Saigon.

RickEpperley1 wrote:

Is that your whole vocabulary?

Andy Passenger wrote:
RickEpperley1 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

I loved my year in Da Nang. Great city. If you don't get it within a few days ... it's not for you.

There is a 'thing' going on there that is just great. That long promenade is the key to it all.

I wore a groove in that lol.

Tip. Go to the beach at 5 am at least once.

It is more packed than at 5 pm or 6 pm. There are hordes of people all wide awake and swimming, taking selfies and dancersizing to YMCA. It is an eye-opener.

SongwriterUK wrote:

Tip. Go to the beach at 5 am at least once.

It is more packed than at 5 pm or 6 pm. There are hordes of people all wide awake and swimming, taking selfies and dancersizing to YMCA. It is an eye-opener.

Definitely!

It's how I spend my early mornings now, when it isn't raining heavily.

I am amazed that the locals don't look sleepy. They are playing volleyball and I can hardly walk straight at that time. A beautiful cool walk through.