Dating and finding love as an expat in Saudi Arabia

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Saudi Arabia?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in Saudi Arabia?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Saudi Arabia?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Saudi Arabia?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

No is not, it is rather verifying hard to meet up with other singles of the opposite sex. You don't get to even see faces of the opposite sex to even initiate a conversation to determine if they are single or taken. In Saudi Arabia, you just assume everyone is married and taken.

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups?

That will highly depend. You may know of other single individuals of the opposite sex during an occasion in your community. And when i say community i mean your country folks. Sometimes there are social gatherings in houses of other country men to celebrate an occasion such as independence or birthdays.  It is only true that, you might be able to see and mingle with others of the opposite sex. And even with that it is limited, as guys still sit separately from the ladies. Apps are the best way to get along with the opposite sex and that is what most use.

Not safe. In Saudi Arabia i don't think there are "dates". Single individuals can't meet openly somewhere and get to know each other or simply have a cup of coffee. Is a no-no here. And if you are caught in the circumstance of dating, the word "safe" can not be used. However some have found a way around it. Some still meet up and pretend to be married and dating as i heard is much practiced in some cities in the kingdom as things are not that strict or tight as it is in Riyadh. But in all, it is never safe to risk it in Saudi Arabia.

LOL. Am not the best man to answer this.

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Saudi Arabia?

1. Do not try dating. Under no circumstances should you approach an opposite sex to ask for phone number etc. And even if you do happen to use a dating app, do not invite him or her on a date.

2. If you know your way around town and a good hide out, such as a friendly cafe or compound house, do invite your date out. But do it discreetly and plan things ahead. Confidence when out with your date can be a good thing, and also know that the younger your both are, the more you might attract eyes on you.

Priscilla wrote:

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Saudi Arabia?

LOL. Again am not the best man for this question. However i did say, do get into a serious relationship on the phone, and leave the kingdom together to meet else where more open to dating.

Priscilla wrote:

Yep it is easy you just need to have guts.

Priscilla wrote:

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

Mostly dating apps,

Priscilla wrote:

It's easy just behave normal

Priscilla wrote:

It's fun,  you get to know about new culture.

Priscilla wrote:

If you aren't serious Just tell your partner about it.

Hi Pricilla,
Yes it's difficult to dating and meeting a single lady in kingdom. Due respect to the Islamic law in this country. But people meeting in several places till to their luck with them. If it's goes wrong this people will be trouble to get their justice and then both will be deport to their respected countries after the completion of the terms. If without marriage any couple find in puplic places it's too trouble but the same people really going to get marry then no problem. Even though we have to produce the proper paper then only.
I hope you will understand what exactly.
Regards
Peer Mohammad

Hi Every one, Yah, its a difficult n adventurous determination over here in the kingdom to find some suitable and nice one.

But the thing is if you are genuinely looking for some one, you will be successful in your love.

Best.

Hi, excetly wht u want to know, I means yes it's quit difficult to date but its not impossible

Hello everyone

I think it's not very difficult to answer this. Anyone who been in Saudi Arabia even for little time can answer.

In KSA if you are of Arabic origin or you are fluent in Arabic can have many more opportunities than others. Same is the  case of finding love or dating in Saudia.

The most frequent  places of dates are shopping malls, executive dine in chains, corniches, Cultural events nowadays Auditions  of Hollywood are the most favourite event for dates.

However when it comes to legality of  dating or communicating with opposite  gender its really hard God forbids unfortunately if you got caught while dating or having fun with any Na Mahram  (not blood relation), then it doesn't matter who you are? Most probably  you both will be facing trial under Sharia law and your chances to get rid off is in negatives.

At Khobar corniche I personally experienced many opportunities for the prettiest relations but just due to not a very good speaker of Arabic I failed to develop anyone so longer.

dates or dating ...two different word..
you can find dates means tamar. :top:

It's quite easy for men and women to date in Saudi Arabia. You could meet in a mall, at a doctor's office, in a western compound, and many other places.  Nobody would question you.  Just try to date someone close to your features. If an Arab is seen in public with an Asian, then eyes would stare. Act normal and don't kiss or hold hands until you go home or your hotel room.

First meeting is very careful
But after first meeting both can understand how mange for first tuch need confidence I meet here some people even deffrent nationality if you know some tracks you can that . Everything have here just in hidden
If somone have operchnity but still scare how can meet just tell me I'll  guide n help you first time .
God luck.

Its hard to meet anyone here, probably one of the worst countries for singles. 

Dating apps mostly, sometimes you meet them at friendly get together at western compounds that are more free. 

I've gone on several dates, its safe.  You just don't want to show any public affection, or touching at all.  It better to enjoy a meal, sit quietly, and don't make a scene. 

Listen and try to understand cultural differences, be patient and understanding, don't laugh or be rude of those differences.

What are certain dating etiquette and rules when dating in Saudi Arabia?
Again, NO TOUCHING in public.  I am western though, so no one gives us a hard time if I am with another westerner.  However, I always am aware of my surroundings, if a more conservative family walks in, I will leave as soon as I can, before a more conservative Saudi decides to make a sense about my presence.   I am western though, so no one gives us a hard time if I am with another westerner, I think if you are western and with another westerner, no one will say anything at all. 

I wouldn't, but if you do, just be honest.

I have been around these parts for a decade and what I can tell you is that it really varies.  If there is no problem, there is no problem but when things go wrong, they can go really badly wrong.

As others have said:

1) It is generally not easy to meet singles of the opposite sex unless:  you have access to western compounds, your work necessitates interaction with females, you use dating apps and / or you are brave or dumb enough to drop numbers for women in public places
2) Nowadays, with the religious police powers having been checked, going out on dates is generally safe if you are discreet, go to expat frequented upscale places / compounds, are aware of your surroundings and don't behave like an obvious couple.  It also helps if you are of the same ethnicity i.e. western with western or asian with asian - you will stick out like a sore thumb if you are an expat with a Saudi
3) Meeting in private is only really risk free inside compounds and even then, things can go wrong.   Contrary to popular belief, police can and will enter most compounds if a complaint is registered - they apply for and get permission easily.  Only the really big western compounds are immune from this but they also have their strict rules to regulate any hanky panky.  As an example, I know one guy who was dating a local girl and she used to visit him in his compound.  This was around the time when women couldn't drive so she would get dropped outside as taxis weren't allowed inside and he would come outside in his car to pick her.  Someone must have noticed and one day, as he came out to get her, the police was waiting and he was grabbed.  Ended up being deported of course but was lucky as he knew people so didn't have to spend much time in Jail

So simply:
Is it possible?  Yes
Do people do it?  Yes
Is it totally safe?  No
Consequences if something goes wrong?  Severe

In SAUDI Arabia dating and love is very complicated. If you like someone send directly proposal for marriage her /him.
Thanking you for Quaries.

I need your help. I met one Indonesian girl on tinder now. I am an Indian. we live in Dammam, Saudi Arabia. we are chatting on WhatsApp now. we want to meet but afraid. we both do not have a personal apartment. please guide.

Saddam0221 wrote:

I need your help. I met one Indonesian girl on tinder now. I am an Indian. we live in Dammam, Saudi Arabia. we are chatting on WhatsApp now. we want to meet but afraid. we both do not have a personal apartment. please guide.

Read post #12

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Saudi Arabia? Meeting in public places and in malls now a days specially in riyadh city is normal. no matter if both are from diffrent nationalities.

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)? Many apps available in saudi arabia for that i dont know if i can take names here.

How safe is it to date in Saudi Arabia? It is safe until you are meeting in a public place, if you get meeting in a private place thing can go extremely bad.

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating? This is something depends and varies person to person .

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Saudi Arabia? important thing must be in public places, women should be wearing proper dress as per local law, avoid holding hands and touching in public , in short be decent.

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Saudi Arabia? if you are in serious relationship co ordinate with your embassy get married and travel with the girl or boy to your country. simple as that :)

lol

K S A

Fred wrote:
Saddam0221 wrote:

Read post #12

my apartment in Al Khobar is available for all love birds

Seriously?
🤣

Arsal7 wrote:

Seriously?
🤣

Yup , for sure :P

saqayyum2000 wrote:
Arsal7 wrote:

Seriously?
🤣

No,
I mean, they are asking for finding love and dating.
That's awesome.

Arsal7 wrote:
saqayyum2000 wrote:
Arsal7 wrote:

Seriously?
🤣

No,
I mean, they are asking for finding love and dating.
That's awesome.

for true love they need to prove it to each other and they need personal place and they dont have it so i offer them place where they can show their true love to each other :P

Yeah, yeah, they can research from the very basic level.
All they need a lab.
😁