Dating and finding love as an expat in Malaysia

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Malaysia?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in Malaysia?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Malaysia?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Malaysia?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

I think love has no boundaries . Hope u find true love!

Unfortunately its really difficult to find even a girlfriend here.

This question came up before, recently, and I avoided the topic even though there is much to say about it and the experiences Ive had. Yes, of course relationships and love are possible but that doesnt mean you should or that its a good thing. It depends.

Maybe some discussion can come out of a point i'll make, instead of just writing a too-long post as is usual. If your life, mental state, health, finances and career are at least stable, a good relationship will make it all better; if you are in various personal horrors, either new or old ones, even a good relationship will make it all much worse. The reason for either way is the same. Foreign relationships take more time, energy,  patience, attitude and money than those in your home country, items you would rightly expect to save for your own foreign life. Its extremely hard to share or split that energy and its very unlikely that the (girlfriend, boyfriend) will relieve you of enough stress and headache so that you can keep focused on the reason you came here to begin with. Here is the problem:  We drift towards love and away from work. Because we tend to judge or health and well-being on the quality of the relationships we are having, or not having, more and more time will be spent on protecting love, and less time on everything else. Pretty soon you will start to sink and that leads to anger towards that gf-bf because they are not making everything OK like you hoped, you are in fact bolstering up their life at the expense of your own. Its bad enough in your own country, and cross-cultural relationships amplify and multiply problems.

Instead of talking about specific relationships, how are you going to deal with this general premise? Dont you agree that it would begin with two extremely strong and patient people who understand this and want earnestly to work on it to the good of both? Yes? No? And I assume we are talking about real relationships, not one-night stands which anyone can have.

Hi

@murshedblues

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have some information on the subject matter of this thread.

@cvco Brilliant . Ditto. Beautiful relationships come to us when we least expect them.