Cartagena - is this the place for us to retire?

My husband and I are looking to retire in Colombia, perhaps Cartagena?  We are hoping to find Americans that have retired in Cartagena and that could help us and guide us on our quest to find the answers.  We are traveling in January 2019 to Cartagena and perhaps we could meet here on the internet and further meet in Cartagena, for we have many questions that we need to find the answers ..

A few things to consider:

- Most expensive city in Colombia
- Very very hot weather all year round
- Very touristy, lots of tourists everywhere all the time

You may consider other cities with better services (healthcare for example), and better infrastructure in general, for example Medellin

realtycol wrote:

A few things to consider (for Cartagena):

- Most expensive city in Colombia
- Very very hot weather all year round
- Very touristy, lots of tourists everywhere all the time

You may consider other cities with better services (healthcare for example), and better infrastructure in general, for example Medellin.

Actually, Medellín and Bogotá have costs of living that are more expensive than Cartagena.  Source:  the interactive charts for city-versus-city cost of living .. available at expatistan.com ....

Still, the second factor above, extreme hot weather year-round, would be a deal-breaker to me even to visit Cartagena, let alone live there.

cccmedia

Hi Vilma!

My husband and I are moving to Santa Marta next July! Welcome to the forum! I may not have all the answers to your questions but am certainly wiling to help where I can. We have hired an attorney, and are working on our visas. I will be in Cartegena and Santa Marta for about a month mid January through mid February! Congrats on your adventure.

I also heard the place is over run with hookers

Allthough I didnt notice the 2 or 3 times I have been there-mostly because I wasnt looking