Long Term Visa - Need Lawyer to help

Hi to everyone.  To live longer than 90 days in Portugal you need a long term Visa.  I am also being told to start that long term Visa you need to go the consulate in the country you reside and start the process etc etc.  I also understand Portugal is not the most efficient country so you may need to return for many meetings on the same subject to accomplish the Visa once there.  All the more reason to find a great lawyer in Portugal that understands the process and speaks english for me and their language.  That is what I a looking for and probably in Lisbon since that where the Visa offices probably reside.  Any recommendations ?  Any comments about starting the long term Visa process in the USA first and how did that go ?

Living in Washington State, I need to make an appointment for the Portugal Embassy in San Francisco. They never answer the phone and their phone message is so faint that you can't hear it. I'm still waiting for an email response. Their online forms to make an appointment are ridiculously confusing. My wife and I are wanting Residency visa for retirement purposes but I see no clear path forward. Any help would be welcome.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory or share the names/contact details through the private messaging system of the website. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

The Visa Gold requires more investment capital than I have available. I have contacted an attorney in the Algarve and I will see what she suggests. If she doesn't pan out, I will follow up on your contact. Thank you!

Hi there,
If you need a lawyer I can give you the contact of the lawyer firm that works with me.
Please send me a pvt message.
Thank you

Hi to everyone

I strongly recommend the lawyer of my fiancée, he has Australian and South African nationality, and the Lawyer got the Golden Visa to him within normal time, and at very reasonable prices, which is not the case with many law firms in Portugal that charge too high and exorbitant prices.

He also worked for several friends of my fiancée, with English, French, Canadian, American Turkish and Iraqi nationalities and everybody is very pleased with the honesty and efficient service.

On the other hand I do not recommend that any foreigner hire lawyers who work with brokers and real estate agencies .... the service is hardly good, they often act illegally receiving commissions from real estate sales, which is not allowed by Portuguese Law.

You need a lot of money to invest in Portugal to be eligible for a Golden Visa. I will need to take a different route.

Try Ivone *** at ***s in Cascais. Her email address is

Reason : Please recommend in the business directory or share the names/contact details through the private messaging system of the website. Thank you

It is interesting that this seems like a difficult question but the first step in making a change from one country to a next in my opinion is a good lawyer that knows the process.  I am told coming from the USA you need an in person meeting in the portugal consulate that supports your state to get a temporary visa approved.  Then you need to be able to show a proof of income above the national minimum wage in Portugal (somewhere around 7000 Euros).  You need a clean FBI report and have all your paperwork translated and apostiled.  Interesting that within this forum I have seen no responses to asking about a good lawyer in Lisbon or being able to articulate the steps to the process.  Why is that ??

and in addition the Golden Visa seems like a path that is taken for the very wealthy and not required for a residential Visa.  People are talking about the "Golden Visa" and is not a path you need to take but again I have seen no one respond and actually say that as well.  Why is that ?

HI

Concernig your questions:
is interesting that this seems like a difficult question but the first step in making a change from one country to a next in my opinion is a good lawyer that knows the process.

[b][b]Of course , without a good lawyer is impossible to get the Golden Visa;

I am told coming from the USA you need an in person meeting in the portugal consulate that supports your state to get a temporary visa approved. [b] Of course, how can you start a GOLDEN VISA PROCESS in portugal without coming to Portugal with a Tourist Visa at the first time

Then you need to be able to show a proof of income above the national minimum wage in Portugal (somewhere around 7000 Euros). Ask the  the lawyer expert in Golden Visas

You need a clean FBI report and have all your paperwork translated and apostiled.Yes, of course , that's a primary condition

Interesting that within this forum I have seen no responses to asking about a good lawyer in Lisbon or being able to articulate the steps to the process.  Why is that ??

[b]Its not true

Cheers

Reason : Free advertising is not allowed. Please register your services in the business directory. Thank you

Hi Adventure 123

That's not true again....you aren't well informed and you are making statements that are not true.

NON-HABITUAL RESIDENTS
Portugal recognizes the non-regular resident status since the decree-law of 23rd September 2009. This new regime aims to achieve non-residents that establish a permanent residence in Portugal, as well as temporary residents. This regime allows non-regular residents to benefit from a special tax rate on some of their income in Portugal, as well as tax exemptions on foreign source incomes.
This status is granted to people who became Portuguese tax residents since January 1, 2009 and who haven't received this status in the past five years. Therefore, the benefits of non-regular resident extends for a period of 10 consecutive years, after which those who benefited from it will be evaluated according to the traditional system of the Portuguese personal income tax.

Again:

You need a Lawyer

Already recomend you one.

Ill  sending his  contacts ( only by direct message) but  its best to you contact the lawyer, she's speaks fluently English and she's manging all the VISA GOLD Process in the Office.

send me a Direct message and ill send my email and the office contacts

Cheers

This is the information that many are looking for regarding Visas:

The D7 Visa – Portuguese Residence VISA for foreigners living off income
Published on January 9, 2018

Now regarding a lawyer - yes Barbara is one option and looking for others just to compare information

Thanks

Pensioners who have sufficient income to remain in Portugal, or people living on income*, regardless of age. The D7 visa enables the respective holder to obtain a residence permit in Portugal for a period of one year, which can then be renewed for successive periods of 2 years and can be converted into a permanent residence permit after 5 years.

In short, the visa allows the foreigner to enter Portugal for the purpose of obtaining a residence permit based on the proven existence of means of livelihood whose value should be transferred to Portugal.

*Income includes: retirement, pensions, rented real estate, investments, etc. ...

Legislation

The Portuguese residence visa for foreigners living off of income is legislated in general terms in article 58, paragraph 1, of Parliament Act n. 23/2007, of July 4, and specifically, in Article 24 (d) of Regulatory Decree No. 84/2007 of November 5.

Application

The visa must be requested in any Portuguese consular mission and is valid for four months. This period of four months will allow the person to enter Portugal in order to apply for the respective residence permit, which will have an initial period of one year.

Pursuant to articles 2, n. 2 and 5, n.6 subparagraph (b) of Decree 1563/2007, of December 11, each household must have the following as a means of livelihood for the 12-month period:

Applicant adult: 8,120 Euros;
Second or more adults: 4,060 Euros each;
Children under age of 18 and older if dependents: 2,436 euros.
The Procedure

The Portuguese consular missions and consular sections with jurisdiction within the area of the applicant's residence hold legal power for granting have the legal power to grant the D7 visa. The deadline for the decision on the visa application is 60 days.

The consular service in charge must request a legal binding opinion from the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Police (SEF), which must issue the said opinion within 20 days.

Type and validity of the visa

The D7 visa is a residence visa that is intended to enable the holder to obtain a residence permit in Portugal. In this context, the visa is valid for two entries and entitles the holder to remain in Portugal for a period of 4 months.

Residence permit

The D7 visa enables the respective holder to obtain a residence permit in Portugal for a period of one year, which can then be renewed for successive periods of 2 years and can be converted into a permanent residence permit after 5 years.

Family Reunification

Members of the family of the holder of the residence permit obtained via a D7 visa are also entitled to a residence permit, based on family reunification statute.

Minimum length of stay in Portugal

The holder of a residence permit obtained from the D7 visa cannot remain outside Portugal for 6 consecutive months or 8 non-consecutive months.

Resident's rights

Without prejudice to the application of special provisions and other rights provided in the law or any international convention to which Portugal is a party, the holder of a residence permit shall be entitled to, without the need for a special authorization regarding his or her foreign status, the following:

Access to the National Health Service care;
Acess to the Portuguese National Education Service and schools;
Exercise of any work activity as an independent professional;
Acess to Portuguese Vocational schooling, initial and further professional training and retraining;
Access and protection from the Portuguese Law and legal system.
To present your application, you will need:

Valid passport, travel document, and two identical photos,
Valid travel insurance, which can cover the expenses necessary for medical reasons, including urgent medical assistance and possible repatriation;
Authorization for Criminal Record consultation by SEF;
Criminal record certificate from the country of origin or the last country where the applicant resided for more than one year;
Housing conditions;
Proof of means of subsistence – Pertinent information regarding one's source of income that allows your subsistence in Portugal (financial, corporate, real estate, etc.).

Hi
Looking for d7 visa. please suggest some lawyer

Please send me  pvt msg.

We're looking for help with freelancer visa and probably D2(immigrant entrepreneur) visas (or it might be the same category, not so clear) for 2 people.

Please pm me if anyone can recommend someone.

hello

i am interested to get portugal D7 visa, i live in Dubai. Please send me lawyer contact details to my email address: ***
thanks

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum please, thank you

I had forgotten that I even posted on this thread. You don't need a lawyer to get a visa. You can get all the help you need on the Americans & FriendsPT forum in Facebook. At the end of this month (Sept 30th) my wife and I are headed to Portugal to live!

Congrats Bob10! Thanks for the info about the FB group. It looks extremely informative.

Is anyone in this discussion familiar with a group in Lisbon called Timely Solutions? If you are, can you recommend an alternative agency which provides the same services for people relocating from the U.S. to Portugal? Timely Solutions staff recommended an excellent attorney to assist us in getting our tax ID numbers. However, it appears that they are overloaded with clients and unable to assist with the visa application process.

For your tax ID (NIF), search for Bruno Afonso on the Americans & FriendsPT Facebook group. Many of us expats have used his services and I highly recommend him. We have been living here in Portugal since October 1st and just got our legal residency a few days ago. Things have gotten backlogged since the coronavirus. [Americans & FriendsPT has a file section that lists all the latest notices and requirements for moving to Portugal.]

Thanks! He is the person I was referred to by Timely Solutions. Yes, he is excellent! He is very thorough and communicates well. However, he has clarified that he does not handle visa applications.

Thanks for the note! I appreciate it. Unfortunately I no longer use FB for anything. I do have a profile on it but, several of my students have gone to work for FB after graduating college. They have only confirmed for me what most people already knew relative to what FB is. I've not updated my info in years and haven't posted anything of value or interest in just a long. However, thanks for the recommendation!

True, he is specifically for all things tax-related. The one thing you definitely need is your NIF number, which he can get for you. All the other stuff is listed on Americans & FriendsPT. Once you join you will find lots of helpful info, and expats at every stage of the path you are on.

I can't say I blame you!  :o

Hello
Traveling to Portugal September 1, 2021.  I have accommodations for 4 1/2 months.  Difficult to get a resident visa at the Portuguese consulate in San Francisco.  I would like to extend the 90 day stay by 6 weeks longer.  I need a lawyer in Lisbon to help me obtain the extension.  Please advise.
Thank you

Hi Abe, Welcome :)

Solicitors, Lawyers & Administrative division of Portugal

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=941009

Best Regards

Need a good reasonable experience D7 lawyer contact

Hi! I work for an immigration lawyer based in Lisbon.

Thanks appreciated. Are u a lawyer yourself? May I know how much is the service fees etc and does your company collaborate with migration company as well? Thanks