Indian looking to move to Portugal

I am a single Indian with about a net work of 1.7 million dollars out of which about 800k dollars is liquid . I was looking to move and maybe retire in Portugal. I looked at the Type 1 residency visa and it is supposed to be for retirement, but I have no idea about how income is calculated. From what I know you need a monthly income of $1196/month to get the visa. So can I say if I have 800k dollars invested at 4% return I will make $2666.67 a month and therefore will be eligible to get the visa? I am a software developer, so will I be able to work remotely? Are there any software development jobs in Portugal with any big companies like Google or Amazon? How much time will it generally take to get this visa?

About Portuguese Golden Visa questions, please see the new topic I've posted here today.

Answering to your professional area, please read the following about Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in Portugal.

In recent past, Portugal has been rich in growing number of entrepreneurial companies and market leaders in all ICT related in its most diverse areas, such as hardware, software, telecoms, ERP, SSC, BPO, Security, Compliance, etc., providing services for different sectors such as defence, aviation, health, education, security, banking, railway sector, telecommunications and distribution, amongst others.

The actual economic and start-up ecosystem in Portugal has created great potential in the industries of ICT, not forgetting the recent contribution of the Web Summit events in Portugal, which increased the Country's visibility in this sector. Web Summit is one of the largest and most prestigious global tech conferences. Last year 2019 edition it gathered 80,000 attendees, including some 2,000 startups and 1,500 investors. It will set up in Lisbon for at least 2028.

More and more young entrepreneurs are emerging from portuguese universities and international companies with digital development centers or online business network are setting up digital operations across the country, such as:
Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Cloudflare, Huawei, Fujitsu, CGI,
Cisco, Oracle, Nokia, Dell, HP, Cilnet, Canon, BP, Bosch, Siemens,
BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Volvo, Nissan, Fiat-Chrysler, Renault,
Xing, Critical Techworks, Blip, Natixis, National Instruments, Colt Technology services,
BNP Paribas, Euronext, Revolut, Cloudflare, Farfetch, Talkdesk, Unbabel, Uniplaces,
Outsystems, Uber, Zalando, Vestas, Pipedrive,...

Online luxury fashion platform Farfetch, coding software provider OutSystems and cloud-based contact centre Talkdesk have put Portugal on the technology map in recent years. The country has produced an impressive number of large tech businesses. A new crop of startups are coming too, with companies such as Unbabel and Uniplaces growing rapidly.

Google, for example, opened a support centre on the outskirts of Lisbon, creating 500 tech jobs.

Cloudflare, one of the world's leading web infrastructure and cybersecurity companies, looked at 45 potential cities across Europe for its third European office, after London and Munich. Like many others it chose Lisbon.

Portugal is not only a market open to innovation and vibrant eco-system of ICT startups but also the best gateway to ICT companies in the Lusophone markets. From financial services, to software, hardware and telecommunications, Portuguese companies have achieved a high level of excellence and international recognition with ICT state-of-the-art products and services.

Why not participating to the Lisbon Web Summit this year and see by yourself?  :)

Hi,

Have you moved to Portugal ? How has your experience been ? Please let us know.

Wishing you all the very best.

Hey,
I read your post and i am curious how did you amass such wealth. It would seem software development is in demand. I am considering business analyst is it in demand in Portugal.

Have a lovely day.

Hello Akshay Kumar31,

I don't think the OP will reply. His last visit on the website was 2 years ago.

Regards

Bhavna