New to this country.

Hi all.
I have been semi retired for the last few years, but just recently officially retired. I am a US citizen living near Bogota, Colombia. My wife is Colombian, but also a US citizen.
Colombia has recently pulled the rug out from under us by making you a tax resident if you spend more than 182 days in the country. Since my SS and pension will start the first of the year we are looking at places to visit that could be our home at least 1/2 of the year or potentially move perminently. Beside paying taxes in the US we would also be taxed @ 28% in Colombia. Even though we would be considered lower middle class in the US (and barely taxed) with my retirement income. But we will be considered upper class with my retirement benefits in Colombia and would be taxed accordingly.

I have done my preliminary investigation of Vietnam and am very interested in a months long visit next year. Being originally from  the north east US I prefer cooler climates in the 70s to maybe low 80s, so it looks like north Vietnam could fit the bill at least 1/2 the year. I am just looking to follow threads here and learn as much about Vietnam as I can before finalizing my plans. The long coast line was a plus because we both love the beach and ocean. Any city recommendations to start our journey would be appreciated.

BTW.. What could someone, used to living a middle class or upper middle class life in the US, expect to spend per month in north Vietnam? I know its hard, but a ballpark would be nice. In Colombia I would guess $1500 to $2000 USD a month is pretty comparable to our US life.

Thanks

U are good to go. Move to vn now.

USA and South America are done,  going downhill. Asia is the next big thing

NHLFAN wrote:

Hi all.
I have been semi retired for the last few years, but just recently officially retired. I am a US citizen living near Bogota, Colombia. My wife is Colombian, but also a US citizen.
Colombia has recently pulled the rug out from under us by making you a tax resident if you spend more than 182 days in the country. Since my SS and pension will start the first of the year we are looking at places to visit that could be our home at least 1/2 of the year or potentially move perminently. Beside paying taxes in the US we would also be taxed @ 28% in Colombia. Even though we would be considered lower middle class in the US (and barely taxed) with my retirement income. But we will be considered upper class with my retirement benefits in Colombia and would be taxed accordingly.

I have done my preliminary investigation of Vietnam and am very interested in a months long visit next year. Being originally from  the north east US I prefer cooler climates in the 70s to maybe low 80s, so it looks like north Vietnam could fit the bill at least 1/2 the year. I am just looking to follow threads here and learn as much about Vietnam as I can before finalizing my plans. The long coast line was a plus because we both love the beach and ocean. Any city recommendations to start our journey would be appreciated.

BTW.. What could someone, used to living a middle class or upper middle class life in the US, expect to spend per month in north Vietnam? I know its hard, but a ballpark would be nice. In Colombia I would guess $1500 to $2000 USD a month is pretty comparable to our US life.

Thanks

That's a lot of info about Colombia that isn't relevant to your options in Việt Nam. Not meant as a criticism. Just saying, my experience is that I needed to focus on the possibilities here, not the problems and perceptions I left behind.

The north is more expensive than the south, at least in Hà Nội (Hanoi). If you have the income to live at the level you've described in the states (it helps if you tell us your personal budget) you'll be "rich" here.

Both 'heat' and 'humidity' are likely important for you, as you've described your preferences. Google the average weather/climate for both inland and corresponding coastal  locations, such as HCMC (Hồ Chí Minh City) inland and Vững Tàu coastal in the south, or Hanoi inland and Hạ Long coastal in the north, to get a better idea as to your options.

That way, you may find two ideal locations where you can split your time and yet not need to travel much.

You will likely get a lot of recommendations for Đà Lạt (Dalat) inland, partly because of the cooler temperatures.

I'm personally opting for being as close to the coast (sand and saltwater) as possible.

Two personal tips:

1. With a breeze, I've found that heat & humidity can be tolerable, even exquisite. Being a block from the beach here in Đã Nẵng helps with that, especially when the onshore wind picks up in the afternoon.

Also, electric fans are ubiquitous here, and most restaurants will make sure you have one pointed in your direction. My hotel room has A.C., a ceiling fan and French doors opening onto my balcony, to the east. I'm always comfortable when I'm here.

2. Once you arrive and can physically see potential lodgings, look for a place with Eastern exposure. The afternoon sun can be brutal, and if your main windows face to the west, you'll be forced to use A.C. during your "siesta".