Language barriers in Kenya

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Kenya.

What is the official language in Kenya, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Kenya and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Kenya on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

English is the official language of government, Kiswahili the national language, then there are numerous tribal languages.

If you speak English, you will be able to communicate with most people, especially in urban areas.  In rural areas there are likely to be less English speakers, but people will be able to communicate in Swahili, so its a useful language to learn.

Some useful Swahili:

Hujambo – “Hello!” A friendly “ Hujambo” goes a long way.

Habari – Also “Hello / Good Morning.” You can also say "Habari za" and follow with "asubuhi" (morning), "joini" (evening), "leo" (day), "kazi" (work), "watoto" (children), for example.

Nzuri – (Beautiful / Good / Nice / I am fine) would be your reply to anyone saying the above to you, or conversely another persons response.  You can add "Sana" which means "a lot".

Greetings are very important and nearly always accompanied by shaking hands.  If you don't shake hands, its perceived as rude!

Asante, even better Asante sana means "thank you" and "thank you very much" respectively.

Karibu  Welcome (to one person).  Karibuni (to more than one person).

Mimi  Me

Wewe  You

Ndiyo: Yes.

Hapana:  No.

Choo kiko wapi:  Where is the toilet?

Chakula:  Food

Chai:  Tea

Kahawa:  Coffee

Duka  Shop.  Duka la dawa  Pharmacy  - Dawa = medication.

Kutoka:  Exit - often seen on road signs, indicating where junctions are.

Day to day survival:  If you can speak and read English, then you will be fine.  Many signs are in English, particularly in larger urban centres.  Lots of media is in English, or Swahili.  TV has English and Swahili programming, for example Swahili news is often aired at around 7pm, English news at around 9pm.

If you cant speak English, or Kiswahili, then you are likely to struggle.

you can survive on Englsih in middle class and urban environments but at least learn a few greetings and thank you in Swahili.

In the rural area you would be best to know greetings in mother tongue. I go to the village a fair bit so know Luhya greetings for good morning, good afternoon and good evening esp when talking to older generation they feel respected. My mother in law has a different dialect of Luhya to the village I've stayed mostly in although most words similar. I try and greet her in luhya and speak bad Swahili and she speaks bad english back at me.  Locals complain of foreigners who stay long term and don't bother learning basic Swahili but in my country we complain when people don't learn Englsih too so really it depends do you want respect and to move around like a local?

If you want to get out of high end activities you need some basic Swahili and if you want to get bargains at soko (market) and on transport know what is going on understanding numbers as basic directions make you feel safer build rapport and know what is going on. Even just knowing what the police are doing at a road check so you don't feel freaked out is helpful (if travelling by Matatu or taxi or bus and vehicle is stopped).

I deal with people with limited education so they don't speak Englsih or understand very slowly. I have taught myself Swahili with the class one books doing exercises and practising on everyone.

what gets confusing is sheng which everyone uses in social media and text message. sometimes it is a mix of Englsih and Swahili like "nakucome" I"m coming with the shortest version often used but also made up slang words too. I am lost on sheng. Nairobi speak is different to rural too. Upcountry they even mix mother tongue Kiswahili and main english words in the one conversation.  Locals get confused when whites don't know english

I deal with schools where students often speak Englsih Monday to Friday and Swahili on Fridays and sheng and mother tongue banned. Also in the workplace mother tongue is meant to be banned but my husband worked in central and was forced to learn kikuyu to get along and get if anyone backbiting him. They refused to speak Kiswahili so he was left out and well as the non kikuyu he had to fit in...

I find misunderstandings occur with my accent in phone so message a lot.

Oh the other thing everyone does is spell english words with Swahili syllables which and due to sheng and social media lazy language is responsible for terrible high school compositions in my opinion.