Looking at options including being an Expat and working there.

Hello,
Just a bit of background. I'm in a relationship with a woman in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia and I'm still in the states. I am looking at options including being an Expat and working there. I've not heard back from many jobs I applied for, but am certain I am qualified. Moreover my GF has offered to have me stay with her.
Part of the issue is my lease here in California isn't up until November 1st. I have many questions.
The other issue is I am still waiting for my passport which should be a few weeks.
My employment background is over ten years in pharmacy store management and have experience in hospitality industry. Also have taught ESL in the US and Italy.
-Is it necessary to have a job lined up or is it just as easy to wait until I am in Malaysia?
-Do I need a 'connection' or liaison?
I really could use some step by step help.

Hi Verve92,

As you were off topic on the other thread, i created a new subject as from your post on the Malaysia forum.

Good luck,
Christine

It's difficult to find work in Malaysia for foreigners unless they are IT professionals. This is because a work permit is required and immigration do not approve them if the job can be done by a local Malaysian. So wherever there are vacancies as soon as equally qualified/experienced people in the local workforce apply, they would be prioritized. Another issue (outside the IT industry) is that only large companies that have the right incorporation can hire foreigners. They also need a quota which means they have to maintain a proportion of local employees compared to foreigners. The job situation will not change if you arrive in Malaysia.

Networking is one of the best ways to make contacts to hear about jobs, but a transparent Competitive Process is required. There are basically no jobs handed out and the hirer must show their advertising and selection process, if they select a foreigner when applying for an employment pass.

Retail management and HR will not be an option in Malaysia and perhaps you should concentrate on teaching English. However, getting an employment pass in that area can be tricky without relevant qualifications and experience. F&B and hospitality openings would need to be at a reasonably senior level. In this area Foreign Workers from ASEAN and geographically adjacent countries are filling most of the roles alongside Malaysians. Call Centre jobs might be an option.

What's important when applying for jobs in Malaysia is to carefully tailor your CV or online application to show you already have experience in the roles and responsibilities outlined in the job description. So a generic CV is not particularly useful.