Cost of Living

Hi,
I am having offer of USD 1800 per month after tax deduction in my account.
Also company providing me Furnished 1bhk accommodation, Electricity,water Expenses paid by Company, Transportation by Company.
Company also provide Air ticket for me n my spouse.
Please suggest.

Sounds good to me. All depends if you are going to be better off in Ghana or your own country and the lifestyle you expect. If it is just you and your wife and you will eat at home then you will have enough

From my experience of regularly coming to Ghana, I completely agree - this should be more than enough for you and your spouse. But does also depend on what your "normal" standard of living is.

Please inform me if the company is looking to recruit, as I am looking to move to Ghana in January (from London) and am currently seeking employment in Ghana.

BW

I am an African American living in Philadelphia and would like to live in Ghana.  I am single and currently receiving a government check of 1.353 USD a month.    My life style is average with no children or wife.   I plan to come and visit first and see if i like it and later make a decision.  I really want to known if I can survive on this amount of money.

woot, Michael! That's around 6,500 cedis a month: you can probably "live" on less than 2,000 cedis per month in Ghana.
Couple of things you really need to sort:
1) income - you say "currently receiving", so will this go on? indefinitely?
2) accommodation - I don't know what standard you are used to, but you can find a whole (unfurnished) house to rent for $200 per month, depending on where you want to live (Accra is a lot more expensive than Takoradi or Cape Coast). This said, you need to know you will be asked to pay two years in advance, in cash, so for a visit you are probably best off in a hotel or guest house. You need to look very carefully at airbnb offers, some owners have no idea what is required.
This is a tough call, hotels in Ghana can be very expensive, and the less expensive ones can be very 'basic'. When I have to spend a night in Accra I stay at the SSNIT (Social Security and National Insurance Trust) guest house for $70 per night. They have a restaurant and the staff are very friendly (especially if you are making an effort to speak Twi).
I have no experience of furnished accommodation: I figured it's cheaper in the long run to buy your own stuff.
3) eating - you need to decide whether you are going to eat out or pay a housekeeper / cook to shop and cook for you. The housekeeper would probably cost you max $100 per month. The shopping bit is important, because shopping is around twice as expensive if you are an 'obruni', and believe me, they will nail you for an obruni as soon as you open your mouth (or do you speak fluent Twi?)
4) medical costs - what they call "expat health insurance" is phenomenally expensive in Ghana to my mind, but I spend half the year in France and pay next to nothing for medical insurance here. You need advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. If I have any medical issues in Ghana I just pay.
5) residence (this should have been #1 really) - as a U.S. citizen you are going to need a visa to enter Ghana. The visa is cheaper ($60?) if you get it in advance (Ghanaian consulate) rather than on arrival. They will probably give you 30 or at best 60 days when you first arrive. They write that in your passport on arrival, so I always prefer to extend rather than get caught.
You can extend the visa for 50 cedis ($10) per month (if not married to a Ghanaian) up to a maximum of 6 months and then you gotta go. They will give you all kinds of fancy figures when you go to Immigration to extend, but 50 cedis is the right figure.
What you really need here is input from hkann, who knows what she is talking about.

I agree with Rod, by Ghanaian standards that is a lot of money but it all depends on where you want to live and the type of lifestyle you expect.
As Rod said you usually have to pay a minimum of 6 months up front for accommodation. If you live away from  the expat areas then you can get something for 500 -1000 cedis a month.
Eat local and then it is not so expensive especially if you cook for yourself.
Your idea to come for a visit is a good one as you can see the place for yourself and assess whether the climate and life style suits you but be aware that a holiday is not like living here so when you return home it will give you time to reflect.

What will be the rents of 1/2 bed room furnished  apartments in Ousu, East Legion, Cantonment area. How is East legon and how far it is from Accra central

CAn anyone help me out?

Best Regards,
KD

East Legon is about 30 - 40 mins from Accra Central depending on the traffic which can be heavy at peak times.
I suggest you look at the rental property on accraexpat to give you some idea. I would think you will find something from $1000 - $1500 per month. You will have to pay a minimum of 6 months up front and maybe a year

Hi,

Thank you very much. So it is better I stick to Cantonment, Airport Residency, Ousu or Labone? Can I get furnished apartment 1/2 bedroom in these area for $ 1500/- I will be coming alone and not with Family. I would prefer multi storeyed appartments.

Regards,
KD

East Legon tends to be cheaper than those areas but you should be able to find something. As I said look on accraexpat.com or tonaton.com and see what is available.

Thank you so so much... ? Another help , what is the tax for expats earning in dollar in Ghana. I will be getting around $ 8000 plus car house and fuel.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

KD

If you are earning over 20,000 cedis a month it is 30%. At the present rate you will be earning over 40,000 cedis