Finding your bearings in Tanzania

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Tanzania? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Tanzania?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

Well, I would like to congratulate you for a good question, Tanzania is growing very fast in technology, back in days gps was know to only few people now here it is common for people to use gps, so I can now say that gps is known to Tanzanians very well.

The little challenge that I believe after sometime it will be solved is, so far the gps works, Yes but to get the street closer and closer and change dimensions like side wise it is not yet so far, but from top  I mean Aerial view it works here and you can see street very well, but not get in street and zoom, I think you understand what am talking about, example when you check Chicago on gps you get it well you can see even cars very  closer.

But solution is you can use both in Tanzania, gps and also if you are confused you can ask, Tanzanian are very kind , when you ask questions example directions etc. They will direct you very well.

So please enjoy your safari in Tanzania, It is a very good Country.

Joseph,

Tanzania - Dar es salaam