Do and don't in Tanzania

Are you living in Tanzania? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Tanzania?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Tanzania?

Thanks!

Taking one's shoes off before entering a house, using only the right hand for eating and hand shakes. ALWAYS ask about the health of the person his family and home before launching into the request or conversation are just a few more ...

Karibu !
Mama Carlo

And whatever you ask, please use swahili words like 'NAOMBA' even if you are buying it.. Naomba is like saying 'I PRAY'. Those of us from 'neighbouring country' know its 'hard' to say 'NAOMBA' especialy for something you are spending money for.

Also remember to learn basic swahili words like Jambo- Hello, Asante sana- Thank you, Shikamoo- greeting when you are addressing someone older than you ..

Local Custom- Women wear long dresses or skirts (mid calf or ankle length), I see soooo many tourist in shorts, tight pants, tank tops, etc. This is very IMMODEST clothing for this culture and it is very offensive to some. If you are traveling here, please respect the culture in this way and cover your body with the appropriate attire.

Hi Bonny

Is it Ok to wear trousers (Not tight) but just loose , casual?

I will say first of all : Don't yell or shout !!!
Tanzanians are really really cool, calm. Hamna neno (There is no problem, relax). And really relax. Im from France and in France you often yell over the phone to get what you want. You well at your supplier if you are not delivered on time and you sometimes threathen them to contact a lawyer (that you don't have) ;). In Tanzania forget about it, it will not work at all. You have to learn patience !!! People are very very respectful and welcoming just be the same and you will enjoy so much!!!

DO:
-say Shikamoo to older people to show respect. It comes from slavery times when slaves use to bend down to he knees of their master. Today it is use to great with 'respect'
-say Karibu if you eat in the presence of someone (that you know), even if he has a plate in  front of him. Country of sharing
-say 'dada= sister' or 'kaka=brother' but not 'waiter'
-say naomba before asking for anything
-say 'pole' = sorry a lot ;) I think this is one of the most said word in here. Tanzanians use it a lot. Not like European. I am used to it now and my european friends always ask me 'but why do you say sorry it is not your fault'. Anyway in here if someone tells you that he is tired you do say 'pole', that he has a headache 'pole', that he was late in the office 'pole' that he doesnt like his new hair cut 'pole' that there is too much salt in his plate 'pole'. Tanzanians just really care about others and I love it

DO NOT
-Ask your tanzanian guests if they want to drink something. They will say no. You just have to offer what you have and say 'karibu'
-be disrespectful
-think you are in Europe, this is Africa !!
-stay with people from the same country as you. Mix a bit.

It is only 2 months ago that I get connected with French people. My first year was only dedicated to Tanzanians, learn swahili (Im still not top = shame)etc....

Well this is all Im thinking for now. I just love Tanzanians and the family spirit. They will call every old woman 'mama' mum etc.... You will feel so fast integrated.

Well I consider Tanzania as home.

Karibu!

anamasai wrote:

I will say first of all : Don't yell or shout !!!
Tanzanians are really really cool, calm. Hamna neno (There is no problem, relax). And really relax. Im from France and in France you often yell over the phone to get what you want. You well at your supplier if you are not delivered on time and you sometimes threathen them to contact a lawyer (that you don't have) ;). In Tanzania forget about it, it will not work at all. You have to learn patience !!! People are very very respectful and welcoming just be the same and you will enjoy so much!!!

DO:
-say Shikamoo to older people to show respect. It comes from slavery times when slaves use to bend down to he knees of their master. Today it is use to great with 'respect'
-say Karibu if you eat in the presence of someone (that you know), even if he has a plate in  front of him. Country of sharing
-say 'dada= sister' or 'kaka=brother' but not 'waiter'
-say naomba before asking for anything
-say 'pole' = sorry a lot ;) I think this is one of the most said word in here. Tanzanians use it a lot. Not like European. I am used to it now and my european friends always ask me 'but why do you say sorry it is not your fault'. Anyway in here if someone tells you that he is tired you do say 'pole', that he has a headache 'pole', that he was late in the office 'pole' that he doesnt like his new hair cut 'pole' that there is too much salt in his plate 'pole'. Tanzanians just really care about others and I love it

DO NOT
-Ask your tanzanian guests if they want to drink something. They will say no. You just have to offer what you have and say 'karibu'
-be disrespectful
-think you are in Europe, this is Africa !!
-stay with people from the same country as you. Mix a bit.

It is only 2 months ago that I get connected with French people. My first year was only dedicated to Tanzanians, learn swahili (Im still not top = shame)etc....

Well this is all Im thinking for now. I just love Tanzanians and the family spirit. They will call every old woman 'mama' mum etc.... You will feel so fast integrated.

Well I consider Tanzania as home.

Karibu!

Well, Said, am Impressed. and this is awesome. This is exactly how people Function there. Yur on the Dot Maam...Enjoy...

We Tanzanians are very friendly but dont take to trust all you meet especially payment for anything you have to see it first and be sastified not all karibus come from the heart now days they have just become formalities,
Take care na Karibu sana anyway!