Insulation

Does anyone know if and where to buy insulation? I live high in the Andes where it is COLD! Thank you!!

Christopher23robin wrote:

Does anyone know if and where to buy insulation? I live high in the Andes where it is COLD!

Still in Loja, Christopher?

Well, Lily Ann Fouts, who literally wrote the book on Expatting in Loja ('Live Like a Local in Loja" -- amazon.com), also shot a video a while back, still available at the link below .. showing Keith Fouts discussing insulation in the local area.

The focus of the video is ground insulation, so it may or may not be relevant here.  A point Keith makes is that he was using recycled insulation that had previously been utilized by two separate and unconnected parties. 

The video is entitled "Protecting the House From Cold and Moisture"....

www.lilyannfouts.com/ground-insulation

As an aside, the comment that Loja -- elevation 6,758 feet, per Wikipedia -- is "high in the Andes" is off-key to some of us (although I don't doubt your statement that it's cold there at night).  For instance, I have spent the past year at much higher altitudes in the Andes before landing in my current location in Peru:  Quito, Ecuador, at 9,350 feet altitude and Ipiales, Colombia, about 9,500 feet.

Cusco, here in Peru, is even a couple thousand feet higher .. and La Paz, Bolivia, at almost 12,000 feet .. is yet higher still.

Not that I recommend moving to La Paz, Bolivia.  Expats I know who visited there got headaches, felt woozy .. and descended to lower altitudes as soon as was practical.

---

In the meantime, consider getting some heavy blankets and a good warm abrigo.

cccmedia, from Lima, Peru, barely above sea level

I did a search on Google for "owens corning ecuador" . That company makes the well known pink fiberglass insulation we use in the USA.

A building materials company called La  Llave sells Owens Corning insulation. Locations in Quito, Guayaquil, Cuenca.

We note that Lebowski888's new avatar photo depicts actor Jeff Bridges, who brilliantly portrayed Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski in the iconic cult film from 1998 "The Great Lebowski." :top:  The Dude abides. :cool:

My avatar photo is from a 2013 U.S. Independence Day Party appearance I made .. at the clubhouse of the now-defunct South American Explorers in Quito, Ecuador.  I recall that I was singing "Jail House Rock" with my friend John, the SAE local president, at that moment.

cccmedia

Thank you! I actually live in the mts above Loja at 8500.The temperature difference between Loja and Malacatos at that altuitude is amazing!