Liability insurance in DR

One of the most important reasons I am thinking on leaving from USA is the litigious society. Among a few more things I dislike a lot.
How liability work in DR. let say someone falls in your property. Can this person come after your property? 
Another example. Let say I bought an small hotel and a guest suffer an injury. Can the guest come after your business?
Do liability insurance work inDR?  It is to pricey?
Thanks in advance.

Good questions. So liability insurance is available and not expensive

It doesn't work the same here.  So if you sue you better have proof of everything or you may go to jail .

The burden of proof is on you and police and prosecutors don't really help or investigate.

If you deal with inbound tour operators for rentals that is different and they may with hold payment. 

Hope that helps.

A lot planner.  I think I will do whatever it take to help a person injured by my fault. I just hate how people here are just looking for an opportunity to make easy money suing their grandmother if it is necessary 😡

This is SCARY to me and also FUNNY, I know I have read it several times in previous Posts....that if your in an accident or like what your mentioning here in this Post "Liability Insurance"....you don't really have a chance because the the DR laws will not work with you and you better have your Atty's phn number on speed dial and cash in your pocket even when your totally innocent....that's the SCARY part! The FUNNY part is....all I can picture my Husband and I doing there is enjoying our little paradise, venturing out for groceries, doc appts, vet appts, some occasional trips to the plazas/malls in our car and being "ever so careful"😂 and daily trips by foot to the local restaurants and bars! being "ever so careful" of course😂.  Its like so many of us our willing to take on this new adventure along with the "Scary parts"....and this tells me that there are even more scary things happening where we all live such as rising prices, taxes, insurance, health care cost, crime, and politics!😬 I am ready to take on a few new challenges in exchange for the mounting frustrations where I live now....and I guess some of you guys are too lol!!😂🌴🌸💃

Hi kat11. My English is terrible so excuse me I am a little lost.
When I say people suing everyone I am talking about USA and yes all the points you mentioned are the ones making me leave.
Are you saying that in RD liability insurance will not protect you in case of an accident if you are an expat?

I am not an Expat yet,  just reading the posts with all of the others that want to eventually make DR their home. But from what I can gather it is kinda scary if you get in an accident (have not read so much until now on liability ins) that you have to prove your innocence etc. But we are the type of people that stay out of trouble and try to avoid accidents (if possible) so we are willing to give it a try for the beautiful island, less stress, lower cost of living. Its not for everyone, it may not be for us either, that's why its kinda funny to me ☺but we will never know until we try it...we can always move on to the next place or back to US....you only live once.🌴🌸

I think nothing can be worse than living in fear like I am living now.
Thinking what will happens if someone sue me for a car or truck accident. Or if one of my tenants sue me🙁 .After all the hard work and austerity living .. 👎.

Yup, You only make life's trip once, ......... there is no return trip ticket.

When you are a guest in a country you need to be on your best behavior. Just because locals drink and drive doesn't make it a good idea.  Just because locals drive like maniacs doesn't make it a good idea. In the beginning it takes some getting user to. And over time it all becomes normal.

The law is based on Napolianic code from France. There is a different burden of proof.

We are ready and haven't even moved there yet. We have three years, pay off the home, sell it and we and will be there. We plan a visit in a year and will check out some places for long term rental. We have zero desire to drive. I could see a golf cart in my future. :) maybe a bicycle. Our desire..hint hint desire is to be close to what we need. Everyone has enough stress in their lives, insurance should not be one of them. If it becomes a necessity,  I will get ahold of Planner! She is the Lady!! Whoot whoot. :)   have a blessed day, and don't let your woes be bigger than your faith. If your already in the DR your three years ahead of me. LUCKY Duck. :)

Gracias!  your are 3 years and counting down..... good for you.   In September I will have my 15 year anniversary. How on earth did that happen?

Guys keep in mind the purpose of this tread is liability insurance to run a business ( small hotel)
Or to cover you in case someone fall in your house.
I want to make money while leaving there but don't want the stress my business in USA cause me due to liability.

Expat or native you must be careful because you're on your own...I know two natives there that have been hit by cars and seriously injured and the drivers just took off and left them lying bleeding in the street, never to be seen again
.. and left with all the expenses as well.

Sadly that is not an unusual occurrence. Make sure you have medical insurance!

Put all assets into a L.L.C. corporation  (DR).