Catholic mass in English?

Hello I am from South Africa and am looking for a Catholic parish. I have googled and see there are a few just wondering if anyone has attented any english services and could recommend one. I do not have my own transport and am residing in d2. I will we using grab. Any information would.be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Maybe this is telling you something that you already know but It seems that the 9:30 Sunday mass at the Cathedral in D1 is in English.  Other churches have English mass as well. Perhaps if you went to the Cathedral mass you could inquire with an English speaking priest or lay worker about masses in D2.

http://cbcvietnam.org/Dioceses/ho-chi-m … ocese.html

Here is a schedule of masses.  http://saigonarchdiocese.net/mass-schedule  It does not designate English masses but you could search for District 2. 

You may find that there are relatively few Catholic churches in D2 as it was only recently developed.  Largest concentrations of Catholics are in areas that were settled as part of the '54 partition, when large numbers of Catholics moved south from Hanoi.

Milush wrote:

Hello I am from South Africa and am looking for a Catholic parish. I have googled and see there are a few just wondering if anyone has attented any english services and could recommend one. I do not have my own transport and am residing in d2. I will we using grab. Any information would.be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I confirm English mass at Cathedrale notre dame ( NHÀ THO DUC BÀ) sunday 9:30 am

Thank you ☆

Thank you for the information☆

It seems strange to me, in Belfast, our mass was always in Latin. All over the places I've been really. I just presumed all mass was in Latin.

I went to a Chinese church once,  -it wasn't even any comprehensible kind of Chinese and I speak it fairly well. Certainly wasn't Latin or English.

Similar thing with my cousins house here, he's Vietkieu but can't understand anything that the church next door is saying.

MasterofDisaster wrote:

It seems strange to me, in Belfast, our mass was always in Latin. All over the places I've been really. I just presumed all mass was in Latin.

Are you sure you are not pulling our leg.  The Catholic Church has allowed, but not required, mass in native languages since 1967.   This was the same time that the priest began to face the people instead of the altar.   I suppose it is possible that the archdiocese in Belfast was resistant to change if it felt it was under siege from the Protestant majority and resisted for political reasons.  Changing to English would mean changing to the language of the perceived oppressors.  The rest of the world pretty much made the change immediately in 1967.   Another possibility is that you stopped going to church in 1966.

I doubt if you could find a Latin mass in Vietnam.  A friend of mine had to translate his diploma which was in Latin for his work permit.  He did  finally find an elderly Irish priest who could do it, but I doubt if the priest was giving sacraments in Latin.

Only at the Cathedral Notre Dame in city center.

Though I'm not Roman Catholic (more of an Anglican/Eastern Orthodox hybrid) it had occurred to me that attending Mass celebrated in the Vietnamese language might be just one way to help me learn to speak Vietnamese, while also socializing/fellowshipping with local citizens.

I say this because I already understand the basic structure of the Mass, so there would be context to what I was hearing and saying.

I agree that going to Vietnamese mass could be an excellent way to make local friends who don't have an ulterior motive (like your real estate agent has), but I kind of doubt it will help you learn the language.  Remember that before 1967 most of the world's billion Catholics, including almost all in Vietnam excluding priests and maybe deacons, didn't have a clue what was being said in Latin.  Luckily, participation in the Eucharist doesn't really demand that you understand every word that the priest is saying, as long as you understand the concept.  The Homily will likely be lost on you.

THIGV wrote:

I agree that going to Vietnamese mass could be an excellent way to make local friends who don't have an ulterior motive (like your real estate agent has), but I kind of doubt it will help you learn the language.  Remember that before 1967 most of the world's billion Catholics, including almost all in Vietnam excluding priests and maybe deacons, didn't have a clue what was being said in Latin.  Luckily, participation in the Eucharist doesn't really demand that you understand every word that the priest is saying, as long as you understand the concept.  The Homily will likely be lost on you.

Also a great place to find a date.

QuidProQuo wrote:

Also a great place to find a date.

Yes, one of the "nice" girls that your mom told you about.   :par:

I still go to Mass although I cannot speak Vietnamese, but by singing  the hymns displayed on the TV screens, I have not only learned the meaning of some words, but some of the pronunciations when ^,  ',  -, and others are used  in conjunction with them.

DELAFON wrote:

I confirm English mass at Cathedrale notre dame ( NHÀ THO DUC BÀ) sunday 9:30 am

So the Notre dame still opens for masses even now during the reconstruction?

The Pastorial Center has a Saturday mass about 6:10 pm

So confused again! Are there masses at notre Dame during reconstruction or not? Yes or no?

Yes still mass at 9:30 am on Sunday

Hi ..... I am unable to answer you. I have not attended   mass.

m.facebook.com/groups/4301061554?view=permalink&id=10155468444311555

For Catholic expats in Ho Chi Minh City, if you would like to attend English Catholic masses on Sunday, here is a list of available services around churches in Saigon for your reference.

ENGLISH MASSES IN SAIGON [Update August 2018]

SATURDAY (Sunday liturgy)

4:45pm - Thiên Thần Church - 600A Xa lộ Hà Nội, An Phú, District 2
6:00pm - The Pastoral Center of the Archdiocese of Saigon (Trung Tâm Mục Vụ), at Auditorium - 6 Bis Tôn Đức Thắng St., District 1
7:30pm (1st Saturday of the month) - Thị Nghè Church - 22B Xô Viết Nghệ Tĩnh St., Ward 19, Bình Thạnh District

SUNDAY
7:30am - Martino Tân Phú Church - 264 Độc Lập St., Tân Phú District (Children Mass, bilingual)
8:30am - Mactynho/Martino Church - 16 Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai St., Ward Đa Kao, District 1 (bilingual)
9:30am - Notre Dame Cathedral - 1 Công Xã Paris, District 1
10:30am - Ba Chuông Church - 190 Lê Văn Sỹ St., Ward 10, Phú Nhuận District
2:30pm - Mai Khôi Church - 44 Tú Xương St., Ward 7, District 3

facebook.com/Catholicsaigon/photos/a.1829936787018664/2076672859011721/?type=3&theater

Dr. G wrote:

Only at the Cathedral Notre Dame in city center.

For Catholic expats in Ho Chi Minh City, if you would like to attend English Catholic masses on Sunday, here is a list of available services around churches in Saigon for your reference.

6:00pm - The Pastoral Center of the Archdiocese of Saigon (Trung Tâm Mục Vụ), at Auditorium - 6 Bis Tôn Đức Thắng St., District 1
7:30pm (1st Saturday of the month) - Thị Nghè Church - 22B Xô Viết Nghệ Tĩnh St., Ward 19, Bình Thạnh District

SUNDAY
7:30am - Martino Tân Phú Church - 264 Độc Lập St., Tân Phú District (Children Mass, bilingual)
8:30am - Mactynho/Martino Church - 16 Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai St., Ward Đa Kao, District 1 (bilingual)

facebook.com/Catholicsaigon/photos/a.1829936787018664/2076672859011721/?type=3&theater

henrypham wrote:

SUNDAY

Thank you! :)

Thanks  for the information. 
:gloria

Thanks for the info :)

At Notre Dame on Sun 9:30, did it also happen to any of you that the guard didn't want to let you in because you're white?

I'm not sure white travelers are welcome. Today the guard literally said "no white people", other times I passed without issues.

No I never had that experience.

YouDontSay wrote:

Thanks for the info :)

At Notre Dame on Sun 9:30, did it also happen to any of you that the guard didn't want to let you in because you're white?

I'm not sure white travelers are welcome. Today the guard literally said "no white people", other times I passed without issues.

Vietnamese peeps can be blatantly racist sometimes.

In Hoi An, the Mass spoken in English is on Sundays at 4.00 pm at the church located on the corner of 'Ly  Thuong  Kiet' and 'Nguyen  Troung To' streets.
     Now the following has nothing to do with English spoken services, but to do with my need to meet some expats in Hoi An.  I am 72, Australian, married, happy, healthy and active, but have yet to meet another expat to occasionally socialize with. I love snorkelling, badminton, most things, even Karaoke now and although I enjoy a beer, I am not into frequenting bars where the patrons are mainly tourists.   
     Thanks to my wife, I do have Viet friends, but I do not speak Viet and hence miss the companionship of English speaking people with whom I have more in common. 
     So I hope that someone upon reading this, apreciates my plight and will get in touch with me via this forum.

QuidProQuo wrote:

Vietnamese peeps can be blatantly racist sometimes.

Ah if it's only personal it's not a big deal then.

Actually it is a pretty big deal considering that it is the Cathedral and hence the seat of the Bishop.  As there is at least one priest who apparently speaks English, you might think about reporting the incident even if it is a later date.  The largest symbol of colonial power can't be banning white people.  Just joking  :cool: on that one, but a priest really should take up disrespectful behavior by the staff. 

There is only one charitable explanation that I can think of.  The guard may have not had enough English skill to tell you that the Cathedral was already full and used the words that he knew.  I know, it's really a stretch.

Well, yeah, but church is a community of free people. It is not so authoritative as maybe a political party or corporation, there will always be someone who has personal reasons to believe something or other. I think that's fine.

If, say the bishop said white ppl cannot come to churches in HCMC that would be a problem, but that's not the case here.

I'll try to sneak in next Sunday, praising the Lord is more important than obeying the guard :D

YouDontSay wrote:

Well, yeah, but church is a community of free people. It is not so authoritative as maybe a political party or corporation, there will always be someone who has personal reasons to believe something or other. I think that's fine.

That may be true but a security guard is not really acting as part of that community if he is a paid guard from a guard service.  In that case he must carry out the orders of the hierarchy.

I have attended both English Mass:
1. 6pm on Saturday
at the Pastoral Center of the Archdiocese of Saigon (Trung Tâm Mục Vụ), at Auditorium - 6 Bis Tôn Đức Thắng St., District 1
2. 9.30am on Sunday
at the Notre Dame Cathedral

My personal opinion, if you are looking for a catholic community to join, not only attend to sunday mass, you should choose the 6pm Mass at the Pastoral Center. Where you would feel more welcomed as a member of a community. There are more activities beside Mass that you can take part in to make friends with more expats and local who speak English.

While attending to Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral on Sunday at 9.30, it is fulled of tourists who are Catholic and stop to attend the sunday mass on their holiday.
The occurrance that some raised above about the security guard stopped the white man, I just think simply because they thought you are non-catholic tourist who want to go inside to take photos. They have to stop them from interrupting your holy time at church. So in this case, just simple prepare some sentence in Vietnamese to tell them you are coming for service: "Tôi đi lễ" (I am going to the mass).

Hope this helps.