Kitchener-Waterloo (Ontario) - Where to live?

I'm contemplating a job offer in the Kitchener - Waterloo (KW) area, but, have apprehensions of it being more of a university/college town. I'm looking for recommendations to facilitate a probable move. A few points I'd want to factor in-

(i) Considering I'm moving from a large city (not inclined towards a suburban life), and, I'll be new to Canada, I'd like to have access to a fairly active social life and a demographic that is widely younger working professionals

(ii) Is a daily commute from Toronto to KW even feasible?

Many thanks!

I have visited Kitchener/Waterloo many times.

If you seek the excitement and amenities of a major city, I do not recommend Kitchener/Waterloo. It is a very pleasant place to visit---the annual Stratford Festival is nearby---but It has the look and feel of a small town. Also, there is a shortage of activities and entertainment---aside from local ski resorts---during the winter months.

The daily commute is about 60 to 90 minutes each way. Feasible but not convenient.

Many thanks for the response. Is there a town/city that you recommend (besides Toronto) that I could consider?

maverick_TO wrote:

Is there a town/city that you recommend (besides Toronto) that I could consider?

Please note the distinction between the City of Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). When most people talk about Toronto they mean the City of Toronto. But the Greater Toronto Area includes such neighboring "cities" such as Markham and Mississauga.

Burlington and Oshawa are larger towns (outside of the GTA) with friendly locals and good work/life balance. However, they are similar in look and feel to Kitchener/Waterloo. Unless you have a local job, you are looking at a 60 to 90 minute commute to downtown Toronto.

Both Markham and Mississauga are part of the GTA but have a good reputation for work and living conditions. If you can find a local job then your work commute may be surprisingly short.

Kitchner/Waterloo areas are pretty far from Toronto almost 100kms distance. It is preferable to live closest to workplace. In terms of lifestyle Waterloo is a pretty bustling active city with Waterloo & Laurier universities there.

I will suggest to to find a good place to live in Waterloo!!!!