Dealing with loneliness in Puerto Rico

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Puerto Rico?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Puerto Rico?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Oh boy did I have this problem when I first moved to San Juan!

As a 29 year old freelancer I was so isolated when I first move to Old San Juan. I knew I had to get out of my comfort zone and look for activities outside my apartment. The first thing I did was working 2-3 days a week out of a co-working space, this helped me not only shower before 11 am  :)  But also be more productive. I wasn't able to meet tons of people, but I felt I was trying.

What really helped 1000% was getting salsa lessons. Someone recommended a private teacher who comes to my apartment twice a week, and then he added me to his "Salsa WhatsApp Group". The group meets up at least 3 times a week in different salsa spots in the area in order to dance, socialize and get to know other dancers. I made incredible friends in this group.

I hope the above helps!

Hi, once again, you are not an EXPAT if you are from the mainland America... we are all Americans here.

Puerto Rico is the most social place in the world if you are open to it.
People start up conversations at bus stops, in elevators, in stores, in the parking lot, in the park.
Don't worry if you don't speak Spanish... not a big deal most speak some kind of English and are happy to speak with you.
Volunteer, lots to do after the hurricane.   
Join an English speaking Church or Temple:   Union church in Punta Las Maria is a great place.  if you are Catholic, San Agustin in Puerta de Tierra, or the synagogue on Loiza Street... something for everyone.   
Community Library has free chess classes  so does Plaza Las America... Join Pro Arte Musical... go to free or inexpensive concerts each week at the conservatorio in SanTurce. 
Go to a tour group and join in... check FB ... lots of walking tours of OSJ in English.  Look on Gustazo for coupons for adventure trips. 
The museum has workshops and tours.  Take an art class in OSJ at the school of visual arts.   
also look into Toastmasters English group in San Juan.  if you are a friend of Bill's, there is the  Caribbean 12 Step Club on Ponce De Leon that has English meetings and tons of stuff to do.

I want to be added to the Salsa WhatsApp Group.

My apartment is in Old San Juan. Don't live there full-time yet, but really want to get connections. Dancing by oneself is fun (I do them all: salsa, merengue, bachatta, regaetton, , cumbia) but I'd love to learn with a partner. My husband refuses to dance.

Ha,
  If we ever end up getting together, I'll join you.  My husband won't dance either!

Best,
Sharon

I'll go also after I get there in July. My hubby isn't going to be with me but occasionally...business in mainland, ugh. Sounds fun.

While you may not be a "true" EXPAT if you're from mainland USA - outside of the US Dollar and US Postal Service PR is very much "another country". :) Nothing works in PR as it does in the states. :)

For me - the difference was integrating with the locals. I frequented some restaurants and bars in Luquillo - and once I became a familar face (they realized I wasn't leaving - lol) I was introduced to others. I went from karaoke to actually playing and singing in a few bands in the Luquillo area pretty fast.

Although I live in Naguabo, I make the time to explore the island and am not afraid to say hello and smile at people.

* interesting tidbit * : once I started dressing like a local (vs like a tourist) I determined that I was accepted much easier. So put some chanclas on and head out! :) There's a big difference between being ON the island and being OF the island. The locals can feel the difference.

ANOLIS said it best with this response on a previous post:

"Thank you ReyP. Besides being off-topic, I suspect many Puerto Ricans would also find this offensive (particularly the >50% of the population who favor maintenance of the semi-autonomous commonwealth status or independence).

The point should also be made that Puerto Rico is a colonial possession earned as war bounty in the Spanish American War, and that (in a fair plebiscite) Puerto Ricans have never voted to join the U.S. as a state. Puerto Rico has its own Olympic association and team, its own national anthem, and it is possible to apply for a certificate of Puerto Rican citizenship - which is recognized by Spain. Puerto Ricans, though U.S. natural born citizens, are not automatically subject to all the rights & protections of the U.S. constitution (although most have been extended to the island by acts of congress) unless they immigrate to the U.S. mainland. Finally, any statement that Puerto Rico is 'part of the U.S.' is technically incorrect, as Puerto Rico is an 'unincorporated territory' (meaning, U.S. soil - but not part of the corpus - body - of the United States).

That's all I have to add. Sorry to further the 'off-topic' conversation. I'll take any comments off the air ;)"

With that said, Puerto Ricans are generally very friendly people and if you don't have a Type-A personality it makes it much easier to make and enjoy the Boricuas (native Puerto Ricans by ethnicity) you meet in order to form a friendship. BTW, I am a Nuyorican who has been going to the island my whole life and grew up seeing both sides of the spectrum.

@Priscilla r I you still there?

Hello allanrobinson556,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Unfortunately, Priscilla does not stay there.

You can start a new thread on the Puerto Rico forum to ask your questions.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team