Rotterdam cost of living

Hi Guys,

I hope you all are doing good!

I work in Microsoft, India and I am skilled in software development. I have round 7 years of work experience. I have been offered a job in Rotterdam with a net salary of 3700 Euros / month. I would be moving along with my wife. I would really appreciate If someone can give me a break up on cost of living like Rent for a 1bhk/2bhk + Groceries + commute + weekend outing etc.

I have estimated 2000 Euros per month to be a safe number to live comfortably. Let me know If my assumptions is correct.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'd recommend the Numbeo website to answer your questions; this link will take you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks!!

I would really appreciate if someone who is staying in Rotterdam can give me a quick Insight. Checking on Numbeo is all good, but Grassroot level truth is sometimes diffrent.

Hi lalit,

I live in Rotterdam with wife and two children. One thing for sure accommodation (rental) can price be different depending on the location you'll live in. Rotterdam is segmented from city center circa radius 4 km from Rotterdam central, area beyond that up to circa 10 km, and suburb. And it is also depending whether you're close to trem/metro station, other supporting system (supermarket, park, etc.) and general safety (dont get me wrong almost all area is safe, but some have more attention by the police).
I live on the second region btw:
one assumption: you will stay here for more than 1 year and not short duration
Apartment 100m2 rental (plus parking): 1100 eur. nonetheless price range can be from 600 eur to 1800 eur (if you are not looking for share bathroom or the most luxurious suite).
Utilities per month: water: 20-40 eur; electricity: 50-80 eur; warm (for hot water, heating):50-100 eur. All of this will be credited from your bank account by exact amount on 1 year contract. Excessive usage will be charge later on. If you use less, you can claim also
Assuming you'll stay more than 4 km, then you might use tram, or metro to your work place. One way can be up to 5 eur (for the longest trip), if this is only 4-5 tram stops I would say 1.5-2 eur/trip

I feed 4 people Asian style on daily basis (rice, cooking oil, vegetables, chicken, bread, butter, milk, asian spices, etc.) per week cost me 60-70 eur. Dining out varies depending on course you have whether it is Indian, Dutch, Italian or else.

My biggest cost I would say car, but this is unavoidable since I have two kids and long way to my office. gasoline car cost per month aside from the price of buying: gasoline: 50-100 eur; parking garage??; road tax: 30-60 eur; insurance 40-60 eur.

If you dont have to (unless you feel like it), dont buy car. Get a place near your office location, get a bike

Leisure: this cost is up to you.
Other people may have different expenses

success,

Thanks a Lot for the wonderful answer!!