Interested in moving to Baguio City 2018

My Filipino wife and I are interested in exploring moving to Baguio City because of the weather. We are both athletic  retired people )(47 and 65) and are interested in renting an unfurnished two bedroom condo, apartment or house in an area of Baguio City that has access to transportation. We would like to make contact with people who currently live in Baguio as of May 27, 2018. We speak Visayans, Tagalog and English. I am originally from upstate New York State but fifteen years in Redondo Beach California. She is from Davao. Salamat. Craig and Nicolen

Hi Craig,  condos are easily filled up nowadays in Baguio. I would suggest you rent hotel first for few days while looking for condos that will fit your lifestyle. Always ask for water supply if it's 24 hour.

Hello Craig.
i'm living in Baguio, When in Baguio buy "the midland courier" every sunday there is plenty of small adds.
Regards Rudy

Thank you for your fast response. The first and only time we visited Baguio we stayed right across from the park with roller blading and self propelled co carts. How does this area compare to the area near the horse back riding to rent a hotel in? The teachers barrio seemed nice too. We like to be in walking distance to places to eat and shop. Thank you for your help. We want to move because my wife who is the Philippine native of the two of us does not like the heat here in Bohol.

Okay. Nicolen and I will do that. Here in Taglibaran Bohol where we live there is no such thing as a listing of available properties. Sounds like Baguio is more organized. Appreciate the suggestion! One last question. Back ground to question. In California I lived in Torrance a bed room community near Redondo Beach in LA. It was great because it was close to everything but 4 miles away from the beach making avoiding tourists easy. Is there a similar barrio in Baguio?
Thanks

Hi Craig, it's just same. You can already find alot of resto around. Though, there's more access to 7-11 and 24 hour food shops if you live near Burnham park, in case of emergency hospitals are near too. If you want to the beach, La Union is an hour drive from Baguio. I did research of living there when my daughters wanted same weather of Europe, they miss the cold weather.

I stayed and lived in Baguio City for almost all my years i was in Philippines and its the first place i go when ever i am there. Well maybe because i have almost all my friends and memories there ( I schooled there).

Looking at your description you will indeed love baguio even though it is now getting congested and hence traffic issues. You can handly get by some days. But good thing is that due to the good climate you could always walk to your destination and avoid all does traffic.

Living at the CBD has its advantages. But i will however advice you stay a bit far off, not entirely far but place such as John Hay, Mines view and Irisan are far off to the CBD but have the nice, cold and country view of living. Besides it also has good places for your jogging and other activities.

If you have not found a place, do let me know through message. I could recommend a lot of places for good prices.

I do travel around places in the philippines but Baguio City has always been closed to something i call home.

Bagio weather is great but nasty traffic, dirty and crowded. Explore going north from Bagio... long ways north, even to Sagada... that is my plans in the future.

If you are hell bent on Bagio, find place near South Drive. You will find that taxis are really cheap and much better to get around than your own car.

I am 66 from Texas, wife 19 from Samar. We live in Subic Bay area, both agriculturally minded and are building a farm in the mountains of Bataan.

Hi Thanks for your insight. Nicolen and I will come up to look seriously in July. My mother passed away so we are staying here to handle all the paper work of inheritance. Nicolen, my wife who is from Davao, is more sensitive to the heat than I am. But I like the more European feel of Baguio than here in Taglibaran. As a white foreigner I have to be aware of where we live. Our Duplex was broken into three weeks ago. Luckily I had my computers in my back pack. The break in was a wake up call to add more dead locks and a better grate on the air conditioning outside hole.

Okay I will contact you. Nicolen and I will be coming to visit in the July August time frame. Thanks Craig

we are not hell bent on Baguio but the area in general. Tell me about going north of Baguio. I want to wait on getting a Mulit Cab until we move to the area. I suspected that living north of the Baguio would be our best option versus living right in the town. Looking forward to hearing of your plans to look north of town. Thanks. Craig

952cccraig20 wrote:

we are not hell bent on Baguio but the area in general. Tell me about going north of Baguio. I want to wait on getting a Mulit Cab until we move to the area. I suspected that living north of the Baguio would be our best option versus living right in the town. Looking forward to hearing of your plans to look north of town. Thanks. Craig

40 years ago when I was a young naval officer, Baguio was the ideal small city with eternal spring weather, flowers and parks everywhere, birds chirping... a beautiful place where all the ambassadors had their retreat from Manila. Now a hoard of companies have built factories and overwhelmed the infrastructure times 10... which made Baguio just another crowded toilet bowl city with everyone building up to the last millimeter of their property... narrow streets, dogs barking, flies, terrible traffic, even vehicle coding days like you have in Manila... where you get a ticket for driving your car on your coding day. IMHO, Baguio is a nasty, crowded environmental disaster. I am sure some people love it... just like some people love New York City. If you like city life, find a place near South Drive... this is the side of town with most of the restaurants and away from some of the "environmental disaster". However, I would suspect that real estate prices on that side of town are well above my pocketbook.

I previously did internet research on the Ambassador Barangay of Tublay. According to Google maps, it is an hour drive to the SM mall in Baguio. I spent a day of boots on the ground... local traffic was great, not overly crowded, but the drive into Baguio would likely be much more than an hour with traffic. I want to go back again... stay a week or month and feel what it is like to live there. It is definitely the small town feeling.

I have also done a lot of research on Sagada and even paid an employee to visit/take pictures... but have not been there yet myself. Baguio is about a 4 hour trek from Subic Bay.. Sagada is 8.5 hours... not a short trip. The feel that I get is that Sagada is like Baguio 40 years ago... this is due in part because it is so far from the Manila vacationing hordes... so the distance can also be a plus.
So if you want shopping and restaurants, pick Baguio... but if you want beauty off the beaten path along with eternal spring, then explore towns along the winding mountain road from Baguio to Sagada and further north.

Where we are building our farm, "MountainAir dot Farm"<<< (that's a URL)... we are close to USA type shopping in Subic Bay Freeport Zone... lots of expats here from all over the world. About 1.5 hours away is Clark/Angeles with an international airport with flights from USA, extensive euro/american shopping, a Costco look-alike, and building tools/supplies. So our area has great infrastructure, just not eternal spring weather.

Thanks for your long letter with so many facts. We will plan our trip in accordance with your advice. I very much appreciate your help. Craig

952cccraig20 wrote:

Thanks for your long letter with so many facts. We will plan our trip in accordance with your advice. I very much appreciate your help. Craig

Hi Craig,

You're welcome on the info. Please tell us how it went once you have boots on the ground!

I will thanks.

I plan on taking about a week to have a look at Baguio City pretty soon.  My goal would be to learn a little bit about the layout of the city, the prevailing winds, the 'escape routes' to go exploring without trying to fight all the way through the city traffic, etc.  If I like the place my plan would be to make my 'second home' there.  (I should be an SRRV holder in a week or two.)

I believe that it would be worthwhile to find a real-estate professional who can answer some of my questions efficiently.  My question here would be whether anyone has leads on any such professional who they've had good luck with, and conversely, if there are ones who might be avoided?

I rather prefer the style of professionals from the U.S. (at least) insofar as they do more-or-less what they say they are going to do when they say they will do it, and answer questions directly and with accuracy and precision.  At least the good ones.

952cccraig20 wrote:

Okay. Nicolen and I will do that. Here in Taglibaran Bohol where we live there is no such thing as a listing of available properties. Sounds like Baguio is more organized. Appreciate the suggestion! One last question. Back ground to question. In California I lived in Torrance a bed room community near Redondo Beach in LA. It was great because it was close to everything but 4 miles away from the beach making avoiding tourists easy. Is there a similar barrio in Baguio?
Thanks

Slow is me but Hi Craig and welcome to this forum. While Baguio is interesting it is certainly not 4 miles from the beach. Research and then research again. Our house is on the beach in Bacnotan and is a 2 hour drive to Baguio but you can find closer beaches only one plus hours drive from Baguio depending on traffic but. Google maps are a good start and while doesn't seem far to the ocean it is an hour plus.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:
952cccraig20 wrote:

Thanks

Slow is me but Hi Craig and welcome to this forum. While Baguio is interesting it is certainly not 4 miles from the beach. Research and then research again. Our house is on the beach in Bacnotan and is a 2 hour drive to Baguio but you can find closer beaches only one plus hours drive from Baguio depending on traffic but. Google maps are a good start and while doesn't seem far to the ocean it is an hour plus.

Cheers, Steve.

I believe he is looking for a place near Baguio but away from the tourists and traffic jams, comparing it to his place in CA where he was only 4 miles from the beach, but avoided tourists.  I was in Baguio last year, certainly would not be interested in the crowds and traffic jams.  When I compared it to my visits in 2008 and 2003 I realized it is going in the wrong direction.  Our friends had an apartment building with beautiful views, now their view is other 4 story apartments and the noise that goes with it.  Good luck in your search.

Hi , if your still looking you could try  Green Valley Village loads of foreigners live there ,it's relatively quiet and a lot colder then most parts of Baguio

hi
we are a Canadian couple looking to retire in the Philippines.
how is the weather and cost of living in Baguio  ?we will cook home and shop locally
thks

Hi , well to begin with it all depends on how much your willing to spend ,some areas cost more others far less . If you want an area with the highest possible number of retirees I would suggest an area called Green Valley it's an old community one of the earliest developments however it's not as maintained. Cost of living in Baguio city is about if renting between 200 to 2000 cad a month plus electricity which is cheap between less than 30 to 100 cad . Water depending also on area can go up to 50 cad . Since you can't technically buy a house (there are ways around it) you can buy a condo good ones cost about as much as 50000 to 70000 cad some older ones cost much less . Weather wise it's good all year round anywhere between 13 to 21 degrees colder then most parts of the Philippines used to get a lot colder like 5 to 6 degrees in the past . Sweater weather in short kind of almost like fall or summer in cad .

You can get by with only spending less than 150 cad a month for groceries if you just 2

If your looking to buy land and build  I know a guy who can help