Mandaluyong: Is it safe to live there for foreigners?

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of making a move from BGC to Mandaluyong.  Anyone ever heard of a building called the Fame Residences near SM Mega Mall?  I've been really enjoying living in BGC not only because I see so many other foreigners like me walking around town looking relaxed in their daily doings, but also because I too have always felt safe, secure, and comfortable walking around BGC pretty much everywhere I go...it's a great feeling that reminds me of being back home in Canada.  However, the prices here in BGC also remind me of being back home in Canada...and trust me...that ain't good!!  VERY expensive here in BGC!  That said, my rent would be drastically reduced if I move to Mandaluyong, but with that rent reduction will come the associated change in surroundings as it were.  I would have considered moving to the provinces, but my filipina partner and I have a 3 month old baby boy so we need access to local pediatricians etc.  The main goal in moving there would be to save a significant amount of money every month, and eventually purchase a condo either here in BGC or in Makati.  Anyway, just wondering if any foreigners here have lived in Mandaluyong, and if you could share your experience that would be appreciated. Thank you and stay safe :-)
Cheers!

onefogarty wrote:

my filipina partner and I have a 3 month old baby boy so we need access to local pediatricians etc.!

There are so many babies in Phils so there are Health centers even in many villages   :)       
(I mean if not to complicated.)
One small city hospital at Leyte managed to solve a very complicated case though with a 3 yo boy with total clugged bovels by inflamation so I he could make neither food nor drink useful. The belly became blown up so they had to pump up what  he had in stomach. And his normaly skinny body blow up as a balloon, and he looked close to dead.   But they managed to save him anyway.    :top:

((I have no idea about mandalayung by I dont like cities, but I know everything else   :lol:

Sorry, I am not familiar with Fame Residences. But living in Mandaluyong will definitely save you money. They are about 1 km (3/4th mile) from SM Mega Mall though.

Mega Mall has many nice places to eat with both local and foreign food available. It also has many times more options for purchases than are available in Market Market. Whereas restaurants tend to be individual places in BGC, Mega Mall (and The Podium, directly across from Mega Mall) have them under one roof.

You don't mention your preferences, though, so replies here may be jumbled. One personks “palace” may not meet everyone's needs or dreams. High class new construction or one well maintained older; 35 SM Or 400 SM; 1, 2, or 7 rooms? Without data you are asking others their opinions.

We have a friend with 11 condos of varying sizes in Makati. Pm me if you would like to contact.

You can get a small condo at Shell for 1/3 what you are paying and it's 1 block from MOA.

Hey I really appreciate your message here thank you 😊

Yes so true... I'm paying 60k now for a 1 bedroom in BGC and if all goes well I'll be paying 15k per month starting in July. Just going to save and save till the cows come home 🐄 hehe 🙃

1 bedroom semi furnished 15k per month

My wife and I live in Laguna now, however we lived in Mandaluyong for about 3 years before that.
We lived in the area around PVL Restaurant, F.Ortigas and Boni Ave,. Closer to city hall than MegaMall.
We had absolutely no problems. Easy access to transportation, walked to the stores, walked through squatter housing, never one time had an issue. No different than anywhere else, mind your P and Q's, all will be fine.
In fact now that we are in Laguna, we miss the hustle, bustle and easy access of Mandaluyong....

Thank you we're probably going to rent a condo at Fame residence in mandalayung

You can live virtually anywhere in the Philippines, provided that you have some common sense and dont draw attention to yourself.

Anyway, to reply to your question - yes Mandaluyong is very safe. there are plenty of high rise condos, modern shopping area, and well lit areas.  But i suppose WHERE in Mandaluyong is the question...you mentioned FAME Residences.  Yes. you are safe.  don't be funny to question the safety of your well being living in an over-priced, over-rated condo complex , which is literally steps to every possible thing you need on a daily bass.   sheesh.

coach53 wrote:
onefogarty wrote:

my filipina partner and I have a 3 month old baby boy so we need access to local pediatricians etc.!

There are so many babies in Phils so there are Health centers even in many villages   :)       
(I mean if not to complicated.)
One small city hospital at Leyte managed to solve a very complicated case though with a 3 yo boy with total clugged bovels by inflamation so I he could make neither food nor drink useful. The belly became blown up so they had to pump up what  he had in stomach. And his normaly skinny body blow up as a balloon, and he looked close to dead.   But they managed to save him anyway.    :top:

((I have no idea about mandalayung by I dont like cities, but I know everything else   :lol:

Whats the word for modest in Swedish ?

i spent 4 years there never a problem but its philippines lots crime but then again my gf is armed and allways with me why not have gf who is armed thats the first thing i did train my gf to fight and arm her my advice is if have gf or wife there is arm her

coach53 wrote:

(omo)
Yes...I'd agree I too don't like city life the  same way as I used to when I was gainfully employed & the city always provided everything/efficientiently & so was my income earned which also was easily spent top loaded with the ever increasing yearly taxes.
in these backwater provinces as long as you don't get involved with anykind of gambling/money lending; staying humble & not being seen to be a playboy/jerk, you can live your simple/low cost life style; infact the woman here seem to be more beautiful & less demanding than those from the cities especially those only used to city living.
So if you are lucky and select the right one you will have almost no trouble...no need for any firearm protection.
(omo)

On my first visit to the Philippines in January 2001 my client arranged for me to stay at a hotel in Mandaluyong called the Legend on Pioneer St. I think it is now called  the Legend Villas. As I was working from an office in Ortigas further up the Edsa highway it seemed a sensible compromise vis a vis meeting clients in Makati. As mentioned above its perfectly safe with the usual caveats.

Much depends on your place of work as the traffic (as you will know) is a nightmare in Manila at the best of times.

I agree with Coach's comment regards your sons health care. Infants are particularly susceptible to poor air quality which can impact on their health for years to come. Frankly I would never bring up a child in a polluted emerging market city such as Manila if I could avoid it but then everyones circumstances are different.

Lotus Eater wrote:

I agree with Coach's comment regards your sons health care. Infants are particularly susceptible to poor air quality which can impact on their health for years to come. Frankly I would never bring up a child in a polluted emerging market city such as Manila if I could avoid it but then everyones circumstances are different.

Yes. I got bad oxygen intake myself by I grew up in Stockholm city, which is much less poluted than  Manila.
(By much exersise I got extreemly good heart capacity (33 rest bpm 2 years AFTER I had stoped exersising because of an injury.  Nurse got shock, when checking my pulse after surgery    :lol:    BUT my oxygene intake stayed bad, so I never became good at long distance running, but I could run for ever in sports as soccer and tennis by they have breaks often.)
So keep kids away from cities.

manwonder wrote:

Yes...I'd agree I too don't like city life the  same way as I used to when I was gainfully employed & the city always provided everything/efficientiently & so was my income earned

I have always disliked cities.  When I were 10yo I decided  :)  I wil live far from people and be my own boss.
(It got some delayed by three surgeries of a sport injury. During that delay I got some hgh paid jobs, but I left as soon as I could anyway, 24 yo.)

I dont count cities as effective by their much time wasting at search for  parking space  and traffic jams   :)

manwonder wrote:

in these backwater provinces as long as you don't get involved with anykind of gambling/money lending; staying humble & not being seen to be a playboy/jerk, you can live your simple/low cost life style;)

Yes. Im not humble   :lol:   but not seen any often by I like most to stay at home far from neighbours.

manwonder wrote:

infact the woman here seem to be more beautiful & less demanding than those from the cities especially those only used to city living.
So if you are lucky and select the right one you will have almost no trouble...no need for any firearm protection.
(omo)

Yes. I wrote somewhere else all very good Filipinas I have found, even if they have moved to city for work, they are all oriiginaly farmers daughters (except one but grandparents are farmers.)

manwonder wrote:

Yes. There are foreigners living in same municipaly, rural close to NPA, without protection without problem.  Other than the byrocrazy problems   :lol:     
An American there said its the SAFEST place he has lived EVER.  He said if being a nice guy NPA dont bother you.  He DONT have low profile, he has started several projects, but partly they are to assist poor giving them work.  (Similar as I do,  but I start other business type.)

Hello all, I am not trying to be disrespectful here but I find talk about violence in the PH and carrying a weapon somewhat amusing. I am from the United States and have seen and known of countless drive by shooting in the states. Road rage in the states is dangerous because almost everybody carries a gun and wants to show how tough they are, so shooting at a car that you feel wronged you is common. What  am really saying is that life is full of dangerous situations and no matter what country your live in or are from it can still be dangerous. An old saying I heard as a kid is apropos here, "don't look for trouble and trouble won't find you". In any case be safe, peace and love