Apartment rent question

Your input is greatly appreciated.

We rent an apartment building in D2 for 6 months.  We have been here only 3 months so far.  In March we got our water bill and it was 11 m3 for my wife and I with 2 kids (7 years old and 2 months old). Seem high so we got the landlord to pay majority of it since the bill was mid feb to mid March.  In April the water bill came and this time it was 20 m3 we disputed it with our building manager and they sent tech to check our water meter.  They shut off all water valve in the apartment but the water meter still moving.  Took them 3 week to get it fix and replace.  We just got our water bill and this time it was 24 m3. Our building manager said they will drop it down to 14 m3. They say they will cap us 4 m3 each person in the apartment.  They will not do anything for our April bill since we already pay for it. 

Our rent agreement state we only pay utilities for what we use only.  No mention of 4 m3/ person cap.  Can I ask for my deposit (10 mill vnd) back and move out since this is not what I agreed?  We don't like it here and would rather move somewhere else.

What is 11 m3?

meter cube

How much are you paying?

My wife and I use about 15 gigalitres a month. So 20 gigalitres a month is okay for 4 people.

I think you won't pay much for that water even 24 m3, so I suggested you to stay same place rather than move to new location and it cost more money and time. You have contract just for 6months and better to stay until end of contract.

colinoscapee wrote:

My wife and I use about 15 gigalitres a month. So 20 gigalitres a month is okay for 4 people.

The conversions that I find say that 20 gigalitres = 20 million m3.  Is the OP leaving out a factor when he writes "20 m3"?

THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

The conversions that I find say that 20 gigalitres = 20 million m3.  Is the OP leaving out a factor when he writes "20 m3"?

Meant to say m3.
Just finished reading about water distribution in farming in Australia which was in gigalitres , must of stuck in my head.

We need about 15 m3 a month (not 20 million m3  :)) and pay about 200k Dong. So I think paying for 24 m3 will make you not poor.  :unsure

1 m3 are 1000 liter or 264 Gallons or 35.3 ft3.

colinoscapee wrote:
THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Meant to say m3.
Just finished reading about water distribution in farming in Australia which was in gigalitres , must have stuck in my head.

It is true that Canadian Fob certainly can afford 20 m3 at around 300K VND.  It certainly is not worth moving out over.  Still, the fact remains that investigation by the manager showed that the meter is defective.  Either that or there is a leak in the walls somewhere which is unlikely but could be even more alarming.   :o   Either way, he should keep on his landlord to replace the meter.

When we first rented our apartment, the hot water just trickled out of the shower even if full open.  The developer had to go into the wall and found a place where the heat weld on one of the joints had been too aggressive and melted plastic had almost completely closed off the pipe.  Particularly if this is a new building, it is not unreasonable to expect defects knowing the lack of QC in Vietnamese construction.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We live in District 2 and our monthly water bill is much less than that; however, negotiation with landlords or management is quite variable from one property to another and although I cannot say this with any certainty or conviction, I have a certain degree of confidence (without knowing how congenial or cooperative your landlord may be) that in most similar landlord-tenant situations in Vietnam, you will be butting your head up against a brick wall attempting to recover your deposit. The general population is, predictably, never willing to forego or return money once into their own hands and due to inadequate, inexperienced and/or over-charging, high fee, corrupt lawyers in addition to all the inconvenience in attempting to get your deposit returned, I'd have suggest that you just bite the bullet unless your landlord is more personable, understanding and compromising enough to negotiate with you. Best of luck.

Dr, G is correct, I had a good experience when I was rented my house (Priviet)

My landlord was evil and I can't negotiation anything with that house, I had to contact every day to fix something then they took action after several months later. Just because they don't want to expend money on that, They promised me to give VAT invoice but they didn't, after one year later I decided to break contact and move on, I lost the whole deposit about 60 Million VND. But My deceit in make me peaceful rather than stay that house for one more year. If we are not lucky then we always meet evil landlords everywhere in Saigon.