Budapest - Cost of iving

Hello everyone, I am from India and have got an internship offer with Budapest for 52 weeks with the stipend of 200,000 HUF.
I would really appreciate your help with respect to following :

1. My office is at 40 Villányi street. So I would be looking for an accommodation around this. Could you please help me with the cost of monthly accommodation.

2. Cost of living.

3. Food

Prompt reply would be appreciated.

200,000 after taxes is do able but might be slightly tight with rents going up.
No need to live in the same district as where you work, it's easy to get around the city by public transportation.

I asked my husband about your wages and the costs, he agrees it will be tight. Rents now in Budapest have risen allot lately.
My best guess is a bit over half your salary will be towards rent alone.
Food, no one can say, all depends on your diet.
A good 60,000 or more goes out for our monthly food costs, we cook at home.
That's for 2 people, we do not eat allot though and only a light breakfast and one dinner mid day with light fruit and tea in the evening for a snack.

We buy in bulk for some items too and go to different markets several times a week for fresh produce.
If your job pays for your travel pass inside the city that is a nearly 10,000 a month savings plus the health care costs of a bit over 7330 a month.
I am guessing you may eat lentils and such, if so places like the  Bulkstore in the 13th and 9th districts  are ok deals. Can buy a kilo or 2 of items for a flat price.
Buckwheat, millet, green tea, salt, oats, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds  and brown rice are priced decently there. You can save a bit here and there by looking inside various farmers markets.
If you find a flat that doesn't eat up all your pay then you will be fine.
Sounds like an adventure at least.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

health care costs of a bit over 7330 a month

This is the cost for those without income in Hungary.

Those on a salary in Hungary, the heath care costs is a percentage of income, and is paid as part of the tax on gross income, and there is no additional health care costs one must pay on after tax (i.e. net) income.

Cost of Living in Budapest:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Budapest

IMHO, 200000 HUF (about 600 EUR) is a typical underpaid Internship "compensation". Pretty much only an "existence" income. Maybe doable, but not necessarily fun. For rent, you may need to get a roommate to help reduce that cost.

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

health care costs of a bit over 7330 a month

This is the cost for those without income in Hungary.

Those on a salary in Hungary, the heath care costs is a percentage of income, and is paid as part of the tax on gross income, and there is no additional health care costs one must pay on after tax (i.e. net) income.

I suppose if a job covered the transportation and health care that is about a $80. a month savings off what one would have to shell out every month.
Not going to bust the bank but if one is on a tight budget, I suppose those would help allot.
I have no idea if a income of 200,000 inside of Budapest is enough to get by or not.
Rent is the big one, not that I keep updated on prices often but seems allot of even smaller flats are well over 100,000 right now in the city of Budapest.
I would be asking at least 140,000- 150,000 a month and just a few months ago would of asked allot less. Not renting now, might think about it at some point though. Depends on if we sell and leave Hungary for good or if we just move to another place in country. Not making any big plans right now either way.
Only 50 square but the location is in the center of the city with easy access to everywhere.
Personally I would not pay that much to live in Budapest but then again I don't need to be in the city limits to work.
My plans on moving are sometimes overall not very good, I mean we almost moved to S. Africa and recently we were considering going back to the Big Island and buying a large lot in Puna!
Thank God we do things at a slow rate these days and double and triple think things over before jumping into the deep water.
Still the thought of beach front living in FL. is very tempting.

I agree with everyone so far.  Accomodation is the biggest cost but even then such a wage
is not lavish  and you will not be able to save for the future. Food is as cheap as anywhere and of course it is cheaper to mainly eat at home.
Rental costs for central Budapest have increased a lot over the past few years but if you choose to live just out of the city public transport is cheap and available and rents are a lot cheaper.
Recently friends have been viewing central studios and apartments where rent plus common costs plus utility bills would use all of your income.
However if you are happy flat sharing or living in a dormitory or hostel Budapest is well within your scope.

The best source is numbeo for checking  general living costs. It is pretty accurate.

"A single person monthly costs: 563.85$ (169,435.55Ft) without rent." - being a local from Budapest, I believe you can easily calculate with that number per month.

I'm going to Hungary soon, I don't have any work there, but i'd like to find something. Anyway, this time I just want to go there for the scholarship.  If I'm a student, how much money will it be enough for living in Budapesht for a week. I need food and public transport and a place for accomodation.

Have researched online about the jobs and the economy in hungary would anyone have network contacts or offer some advice on roles in Budapest please, Am living in London and have been a qualified chartered accountant t in industry and looking for finance manger roles or any businesses which may require a savvy finance professional. not looking for too much salary enough to pay bills and rent. Have tried reaching out online from London with accountancy recruiters but its not easy. Any finance professionals on this forum ? Thanking you all in advance for any help Jess

If you are British then after 31/12/ it will become more difficult. This is due to Brexit. Find out info on the Gov.UK website.

Hope this helps

JessP71 wrote:

Have researched online about the jobs and the economy in hungary would anyone have network contacts or offer some advice on roles in Budapest please, Am living in London and have been a qualified chartered accountant t in industry and looking for finance manger roles or any businesses which may require a savvy finance professional. not looking for too much salary enough to pay bills and rent. Have tried reaching out online from London with accountancy recruiters but its not easy. Any finance professionals on this forum ? Thanking you all in advance for any help Jess

I do not wish to be a downer, I really don't know much about accounting BUT our former next door neighbor went to uni here in Budapest and was an accountant in a large office near Keliti.
I know even with her schooling and degree her income wasn't too much. Her husband worked.. well if being a "Heavy for hire" in a job. Her mother also gave all her SS to them , she lived with them and they just feed her and gave her a loft to sleep in.
My SIL teaches in a Budapest uni as a chemistry instructor. At least a decade ago she took on housecleaning part time on weekends to suplement her income.
Best if you have some savings to buy a flat for cash then any HU income would be enough.
So many people in Hungary do have degrees that it doesn't automatically quarantee a good salary to have one.
My sister moved to London in the late 1960's. She only went to college for 2 years in the US but it was more at the time then average in the UK so she landed a decent job with a news station.
It is all relative to other's quailfications.
Hungarian language skills might also be an issue here.
Don't give up though there is always something that can change and perhaps you can think of another field to work in?
My husband did many odd jobs to get by in his lifetime. He was a trained machinist but worked asd a painter and even cleaned carpets for a spell until something else turned up.

I consider myself to be a finance professional, I have moved around quite a bit, but looking in Hungary? Luxembourg is the place to be, glassdoor, local Luxembourg websites, loads of opportunities. I think it strange though to move from London rather then to stay. Cost of living of course in Lux is excessively high but then again remuneration even more so.
I did not like London myself but for salary it is not too bad as a qualified person.

Here and there lately we have noticed  slight increases in food costs here.
Small amounts but they can add up.
Still a bargain for retired people to live here, at least compared to US prices.
A friend living in Honolulu, the place we would much rather be living in posted a photo in the grocery store there. He was holding up a small tray of about 12 strawberries that were not even red, more like pinky/white and not sweet. The reduced price for the strawberries about gave us a heart attack,
Believe it or not, discount price of $ 25.!!!! That's twenty -five US dollars, not 2,500 forints  25 Candaian or 25 pecos!  Guess if were even move back to Honolulu, strawberries will not be on the menu.