Moving to Bahrain

Hi all,

My husband and I are moving to Bahrain in June 2018 (for 2 to 4 years) from South Africa, he'll be going on a workers visa, and I will follow in July on a spousal visa.

We have a few questions...
(More like a whole lot of questions)

1. Is it better to rent an apartment which is already furnished or is it better to bring our furniture with, as the company gives us each 200kg cargo for the move?

2. If we choose an unfurnished apartment, does the apartment come with a washing machine? And if not what is the estimate cost of the needed appliances & electronics? (washing machine, television, kettle, microwave)

3. He will be working at the airport, what suburbs would be best for us to have an apartment?

4.  Is it better to rent a car or buy one, or is public transport enough?

5. How does that work, the buying of a car? Or even the renting? Can one rent to own a car?

6. Are groceries expensive, how is the fresh produce? And how are the shops there?

7. Do the woman have to cover up? Or can you where what you want?

8. Will I, an Electrical Engineer graduate, get a job?

9. Lastly, please give us an estimate budget for 2 people per month, for:
    Rent + Utilities =
    Car (Rent or Buy) =
    Groceries (Food & Toiletries)=
    Mobile Phones (preferably on contract)=
    Internet Connection =
    (If I have left anything out please add it)

Any additional advise is always welcome!!

Sorry for the long list!

Thanks a mil!
Grizelda

For the most part, you can browse the other threads to get an idea on cost of living.  I will comment where I can.

1) 200 Kg?   or do you mean a 20 ft container?   200Kg sounds pretty much like air freight.  If that is the case then it's probably better for you to get a furnished apartment or buy stuff here.  As if you bear the cost for shipping and insuring, it won't be worth it
2) Varies from apartment to apartment, no fixed standard.  The costs you can get an idea about on the sharaf dg bahrain website.  They would be reasonable
3) Around the Muharraq area or Amwaj would be the best bet for you.  As an expat, I would definitely suggest Amwaj
4) Public transport is buses and with very limited coverage; only started a few years ago.  The alternative is cabs which are very expensive or uber / careem which is more reasonable. To rent or to buy depends on your plans i.e. how long are you here for.  If you are here 2+ years, definitely buy as it would be cheaper and you can get a better car
5) Buying is either new / pre-owned cars through dealers or used cars.  The dealer angle is simple and they take care of everything.  Even if you take a loan, it's easy to coordinate with dealers.  Buying from individuals is more of a hit and miss and you can browse the classifieds on OLX for that.  The alternative is car rental or leases; the rent to own concept is generally not followed in these deals for individuals as it is too costly but companies routinely do that
6)  Groceries are definitely more expensive than your home country and at par with, say the UK or even more.  As pretty much everything is imported.  However, availability is good and fresh produce you can find from everywhere in the world.  From shops standpoint, these can range from the corner store to the large hypermarket
7) No you don't have to cover up.  This is not Saudi :).   But be mindful of cultural norms and try to dress appropriately i.e. no beachwear in public places like malls!!
8) Potentially.  However, the economy is not good nowadays and you would have to look when you get here.  Browse the threads on this forum where job seekers have asked similar questions and I have given them a detailed breakdown of their chances
9) All of this information is covered on the threads in this forum.  Some links to help you:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=745829 : Cost of Living 2018
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231960  : Definitive Guide to Bahrain for New Expats
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=337348 : Cost of living
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 7#2522261: COL Area wise