Red Light Ticket, Taking it to Court - Need translator in Aguada

Hi everyone.

My name is Eric. I moved to PR not too long ago with my wife Sabrina.
We are currently living in Aguadilla.

Not too long ago, we got a red light ticket while turning left at an intersection. But strangely enough, the light was a solid green. The cop wasn't hearing it (our Spanish is not so good) so we got thrown a 500 dollar fine for turning left on a green light. We really couldn't believe it.

So the only way to refute this ticket is to take it to court.

Does anyone have an idea of what to expect in these scenarios? How long it usually takes, how to be prepared?

Most importantly, we were told we would need a translator, so since we don't know many people here, we are turning to threads to find someone. 

Our court date is on the 27th of this month (Friday next week).
It will be at the Aguada Tribunal Municipal early morning.

We are open to paying someone for their help. We were thinking of paying hourly, with a minimum amount of hours. But we're open.

If you are interested or know anyone who may be interested, please let us know.

Thanks!

The judge should speak some English, check with the court prior to the hearing about the problem.   :cool:

Sitka wrote:

The judge should speak some English, check with the court prior to the hearing about the problem.   :cool:

By Law the court is run in Spanish, and the federal court is run in English. Judges typically avoid switching languages because any misunderstanding affect the judgement.

ericwilliams87 wrote:

Hi everyone.

My name is Eric. I moved to PR not too long ago with my wife Sabrina.
We are currently living in Aguadilla.

Not too long ago, we got a red light ticket while turning left at an intersection. But strangely enough, the light was a solid green. The cop wasn't hearing it (our Spanish is not so good) so we got thrown a 500 dollar fine for turning left on a green light. We really couldn't believe it.

So the only way to refute this ticket is to take it to court.

Does anyone have an idea of what to expect in these scenarios? How long it usually takes, how to be prepared?

Most importantly, we were told we would need a translator, so since we don't know many people here, we are turning to threads to find someone. 

Our court date is on the 27th of this month (Friday next week).
It will be at the Aguada Tribunal Municipal early morning.

We are open to paying someone for their help. We were thinking of paying hourly, with a minimum amount of hours. But we're open.

If you are interested or know anyone who may be interested, please let us know.

Thanks!

Call ahead and ask for a court approved interpreter. You may have to pay for it, not sure.

Hello,

My experience with Court and tickets is the following:  When I went to the Court to request a date to contest... I requested a translator.
When I went to Court and was in front of the judge.. there was no translator and they are required by law to provide one if you request and do not speak the language.  The judge dismissed my case and I received something in the mail.. which you have to go the Collectoria and buy stamps and then return to the court with this "stamped" document for your record to be cleared.
I would also ask for visual or computer proof that you went through a "red" light., which they most likely do not have.

Always be nice and stay calm and never rude.. or they will not be helpful.
Good luck!

We went to the local court over a parking ticket ( my wife has a disabled placard in the windshield).  The judge spoke English and we had a hearing.  The ticket was dismissed but we did have to get the stamps. All & all, it was a hassle.    :cool:

Thank you Sitka, ReyP and Journey for your knowledge and advice.

As far as we remember, when we went to repeal the ticket they said we would have to provide our own interpreter and that they don't provide one for smaller infractions.

So we shall go back on Monday to clarify this and ask to be provided one if possible!

I used a translator, in custody cases; private message me, and I'll give you his contact info.

That's just wrong too, because the official language of the government of PR is English and Spanish... All the judges here speak English, fluently.

mac00677 wrote:

That's just wrong too, because the official language of the government of PR is English and Spanish... All the judges here speak English, fluently.

The country official language is Spanish and English, however to my knowledge, the language for civil court is Spanish and they require a translator if you do not speak the language. The judge may know English but it does not mean he will use it.
Federal court official language is English, all cases are conducted in English, again a translator may be necessary.

Oh, yes; one Dominican judge refused to speak English: "This is a Spanish court, and we will NOT speak English, in MY courtroom! Tell him, if he cannot speak Spanish, he needs to go out there and FIND a translator, somewhere!", when I tried to find information, on how to locate a translator, no one in the court house knew. You would NOT see that, in a court, in the mainland. Superior court will provide one free, but municipal, you must find one.

I noticed you switched the "English and Spanish", I wrote, to; "Spanish and English", just so you know, the way I wrote it, is the way it is, in the Bill, creating the law.

I think it may depend on the cost of the translator versus the cost of the case. May not be worth it to issue you a translator specially since it may not be a criminal case.