Bali Antiques

Hi all - I'm coming to Bali in June for a couple of months to see how things go :)
I am from the UK and have an interest in antiques, I've always found it difficult sourcing antiques in  Asian - does anyone know if there are antique shops/dealers in Bali?
I am not interested in modern replicas and I know China can churn out 'antiques' that look more like antiques than the real thing  :unsure
thanks Jonn

following on from the above - is ebay popular in indonesia or are there other sites for selling second hand goods? thx :)

Hi John,

You are right about China churning out fake antiques, especially the porcelain and stoneware. I used to buy antiques in Beijing at one of the furniture markets back in the 1990's and still keep a few rarities in my own private collection, I mean Huang Hua Li furniture which is now almost impossible to export from China. I still visit the Panjiayuan Antique Market now and again but hard to find affordable genuine antiques as the fakes are so good.

Genuine Indonesian antiques are becoming scarcer and scarcer to find at least at affordable prices. Fifteen to twenty years ago you could head down Jalan Legian into Seminyak and find shops that were selling authentic products from Sumba, Kalimantan, Lombok and Sulwesi. I'm talking more about authentic "older" items rather than antiques, things like old Sumba ikats, Pahikung, tongals, large cowrie and boar tusk jewellery, even monkey skull necklaces from Borneo (I have two in my collection) and Asmat Shileds. Old bronze objects are nearly always reproduced these days and purposely aged. Keris knives are very expensive but a lot of fakes around too. I used to buy directly from someone called "Sumba Boy" who was this young guy about 20 years ago who'd bring older authentic stuff in from Sumba. We'd meet up at my hotel and he'd show me lots of great items and the prices were so cheap. I'm not sure what happened to him. Ubudian, another member on the forum who lives in Bali might have known him. And there was an amazing shop for antiques near Seminyak, can't remember the name but it is no longer there. Maybe it was called Dewiyus or something beginning with the letter K.

I'm also collecting Nagaland jewellery and again there is just so much modern  stuff out there you need to have good sources and suppliers who know what you are looking for and will bring it to you whenever you meet up.

GREAT post abdulkhalil and 100% spot on the mark!

John, I've been doing precisely what you are looking to do for the past 19+ years...and the post by abdulkhali is very accurate.

There are only a hand full of dealers here on Bali who regularly carry authentic items.  I would be happy to mention two in particular (via private message)...both of whom having been doing this trade for multiple generations.

In addition, there are some fabulous old time private collections here in Bali...but learning who those collectors are, and more importantly, being able to pry a piece or two out of them is a whole other matter.

This is very much a double edge sword in that there is a strong movement afoot to protect and keep on hand those items of significant material culture here in Bali (and elsewhere in Indonesia).  In times past, the legal export of such items was deemed to be an excellent way of fostering appreciation for Indonesian art and culture...but so much has left...the need to preserve is becoming a valid, as well as serious issue.

Abdulkhalil / Ubudian - thanks for the insight – your comments are interesting  :)

I do not have much exposure to Indo culture yet so I will try to study when I come out – I know the Chinese are buying up a lot of antiques from here in the UK to return to China but I'm not too sure how many Indo antiques are available here – time to do some research  :cool:

With thanks Jonn

There are several shops along By Pass Street, Jalan Gunung Athena, and along the way from Sanur to Sukawati. They sell both real antique furnitures and replicas. All you have to do is by checking the physical items on each shop. Good luck

What kind of antique did you mean jonn?
Give me your specific request

thanks Garker  :) I fly to bali on Tuesday (it took a long time coming) so I will check them out thx Jonn

Sure.  Are you in Bali now?  If so, where?  And, what sort of things are you looking for...furniture, ceramics, tribal material, jewelry or what?     

I am actually in Kuta.I do not want to buy.I want to sell.I have 2 goods from Europe to sell it to Bali antiques and my friend has a bussiness with antiques and would like to cooperate.I can bring photos for now.
-@Ada Du

Between local price differences, shipping costs, and import taxes, you might well have problems.

@ Ada Du

I'll send you a private message and maybe we can go from there.