Importing a classic/vintage car from EU

Hello,

I am shipping my much-loved 1977 MG BGT to Malta having just moved from UK in January 2018.

My understanding of the paperwork required is this:
(I've copied these steps below in case they help another member importing a classic car)

1. Get a local insurance policy
2. Complete application form (VEH01) to register the vehicle
3. Complete application form (VEH02) to license the vehicle
4. Complete application form (VEH07) transfer of residence and claim
exemption of registration tax (Only applies if you have owned the car for more than two years)
5. Complete application form (VEH15A) to request inspection of the vintage vehicle
6. Complete application form (VEH15) to request certification as a vintage vehicle

I have taken a local insurance policy and completed the forms as above, but have no idea of what to put in the "Co2" section in the VEH01 form. The Co2 section of my UK logbook is empty and I can't find any official data on Co2 emmission for a 1977 MG BGT anywhere.

I also wondered about the order I should do the above in,
eg.
Should I request the vintage vehicle inspection before registering and licensing it with transport Malta (since I will need vintage plates)?

Any help from someone who has done this would much appreciated.
The car arrives in May and I am hoping to have the paperwork done so I can drive it as soon as it arrives.

Many thanks in advance

--
Nick

Don't have a vintage car but drove mine here from the UK
Re: exampt  registration tax. Best to visit the VAT office. Must show everdence of having the car in the UK for more than the 2 yrs. Good luck.

Many vintage cars here all active in clubs, find the club on Facebook and ask for assistance, they would love to help a fellow car enthusiast

nickwong wrote:

Hello,

I am shipping my much-loved 1977 MG BGT to Malta having just moved from UK in January 2018.

My understanding of the paperwork required is this:
(I've copied these steps below in case they help another member importing a classic car)

1. Get a local insurance policy
2. Complete application form (VEH01) to register the vehicle
3. Complete application form (VEH02) to license the vehicle
4. Complete application form (VEH07) transfer of residence and claim
exemption of registration tax (Only applies if you have owned the car for more than two years)
5. Complete application form (VEH15A) to request inspection of the vintage vehicle
6. Complete application form (VEH15) to request certification as a vintage vehicle

I have taken a local insurance policy and completed the forms as above, but have no idea of what to put in the "Co2" section in the VEH01 form. The Co2 section of my UK logbook is empty and I can't find any official data on Co2 emmission for a 1977 MG BGT anywhere.

I also wondered about the order I should do the above in,
eg.
Should I request the vintage vehicle inspection before registering and licensing it with transport Malta (since I will need vintage plates)?

Any help from someone who has done this would much appreciated.
The car arrives in May and I am hoping to have the paperwork done so I can drive it as soon as it arrives.

Many thanks in advance

--
Nick

2 things you may wish to consider:
For the exemption because of owning the vehicle for 2 years or more, you also have to have been resident outside Malta for the 2 years immediately preceding importing the car which you won't have been.
And if you take advantage of classic car registration take note of the restrictions as to when you are allowed to drive it. Some are restricted to Sunday use only. (Black Number plates, I believe.)

I have been resident outside Malta for more than 2 years since I moved here only in January 2018.

I did not know about any restrictions on driving vintage registered vehicles, thank you for flagging this up.
I will look into the rules to make sure they fit my use of the car.

nickwong wrote:

I have been resident outside Malta for more than 2 years since I moved here only in January 2018.

I did not know about any restrictions on driving vintage registered vehicles, thank you for flagging this up.
I will look into the rules to make sure they fit my use of the car.

I am not 100% sure but I think the 2 years living outside Malta is immediately prior to importing the car. As you say you will be bringing the car over in May you will have lived here for 5 months before importation and this may be flagged up by the date you applied for your eResidence!

Ray