Working in Makati City

Hi,
I am Samantha from Malaysia.

I am considering an offer to work in Makati City, but not sure how is the lifestyle would be in the Philippines.

What is the salary range for Malaysian expat in Makati City?
Is the living cost in Makati City high?
How much should I expect for the salary offered?

About the life:
Is Makati City safe to live?

Thank you for your sharing.

God bless
Samantha

Hi Samantha, Makati is exactly what you have read about it, upscale and expensive, yet comparatively safe.   I can't help you with salary information, but I know that if you were a Malaysian male there would be MANY more perks to taking a job in Philippines than a lady would appreciate.  Sorry, not much more help than that, but unless you get an outstanding offer...and you're truly an adventurer...it might be best to pass.

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for the information. Really appreciate it.
I will keep your advice in mind.

God bless.
Samantha

Hi Samantha,

Makati is comparatively expensive yet safer than other areas in Manila.
If you are going to reside in makati then the condo/units price is vary depends on location. It is aproximately 15k to 25k per month.
For salary, it may depends on the firm how much they will offer as Steve said. I can't help much on that.

Regards,

Tikipii.

Samanthachong wrote:

Hi,
I am Samantha from Malaysia.

I am considering an offer to work in Makati City, but not sure how is the lifestyle would be in the Philippines.

What is the salary range for Malaysian expat in Makati City?
Is the living cost in Makati City high?
How much should I expect for the salary offered?

About the life:
Is Makati City safe to live?

Thank you for your sharing.

God bless
Samantha

Hi Samantha,
Ask the company offering you the position with regards to renumeration and conditions etc. No point second guessing.

Cheers, Steve.

HI Samantha,

Been here for two weeks and I can tell you briefly on my knowledge of COL here in Makati.

Rent: Expect at least 30-50K PHP per month for high end studio/1BR condo (approx 35-50 m2) fully furnished. Go further out a bit you can get a rent in range of 15-25K.

Meals: Non restaurant food can be PHP 100 or less. Standard restaurant or fast food chain is in range of 100-200 for a decent meal. Standard famous restaurant is still quite reasonable as well 250 PHP and beyond, even upscale sometimes starts from 300+ PHP range. Cheapest desert so far is McDonald sundae at 10 PHP and cheapest full meal I have tried is 75 PHP (with tuna).

Mobile Phone: At least 1000-1500 PHP per month  should be enough

Home Internet: 1500-1900 PHP per month will get you 5-20 mbps

Transport: I find walking in Philippines is the best option especially if you live in the city center and air quality is better than expected, much better than Bangkok and probably similar to KL. Otherwise public bus is about 4 to 12 PHP as far as I know. Uber/Grab for short distance (5km) with average of around 120 PHP during normal demand. A decent car is around 400-500K PHP.

Movie tickets: 260 PHP per ticket

Groceries: i.e. Chicken 200 PHP/1KG, Beef 400 PHP/1Kg

My worst complain so far is mobile coverage is mediocre and internet quality is close to poor but acceptable for standard usage. City development can be very mix, developed in one area and within walking distance you will see rundown building.

If you are single I think 100K will give you a reasonable middle class lifestyle.

Thank you so much for the advise.

Thank you so much for all the advise, really appreciate it.

Um..I lived on less than 100k and supporting a family of four in metro manila. lol. You can get a great studio apartment for 20k in makati or any upscale area in the city. The rest is up to you. You can have a great lifestyle with 50k.

It is comparatively safe in the city itself, but it's best to always be cautious whenever you go. Low crime rate doesn't mean no crime rate.

@ultrakyo 's info is accurate and helpful

Meat here is cheaper than vege

Hi, was that gross or nett?

100K Gross is fine for single and you won't live a hard life but probably be living month to month depending on your spending pattern.

for condo, you can get 15k -40k per month, if you just want to live alone then studio type might be suitable for you, 15k-20k only.

mobile phone, i spent 750 PHP / month
wifi, i spent 700 PHP, using PLDT

transpo, you can use jeepney for 8 -10 PHP, bus 12PHP at the cheapest, depends on the distance.

most malaysian expats i knew here earn 40 - 70k monthly so you can live a decent life here with that amount but depend on your spending on monthly basis

If you work in Makati, you do not have to live there.

It is very central in Metro Manila. You could live anywhere for as little as p2,000 a month or less.

Makati is the fancy area of Metro Manila. But that does not mean it is necessarily safe. Safer than some areas maybe.

You are considering taking a job and do not know the salary? You should find that out first!

fernandosdesign wrote:

Um..I lived on less than 100k and supporting a family of four in metro manila. lol. You can get a great studio apartment for 20k in makati or any upscale area in the city. The rest is up to you. You can have a great lifestyle with 50k.

Family of 10 here, not counting extended. We live on 15,000 and are rich. Spend 2,000 a month on rent.

BALUT_BREATH wrote:

If you work in Makati, you do not have to live there.

It is very central in Metro Manila. You could live anywhere for as little as p2,000 a month or less.

Makati is the fancy area of Metro Manila. But that does not mean it is necessarily safe. Safer than some areas maybe.

You are considering taking a job and do not know the salary? You should find that out first!

where can you find a place for 2k pesos or less monthly? other than bedspace, where else?

I've been back and forth for about 8 years.  This year I'm staying for 5 months.  It depends on your comfort zone.  If you want western style then bgc, or Makati where you'll see s lot of foreignor but you pay for that life and convenience.  50,000 pesos a month you would be ok in a studio.  But look around on the internet theres deals to be had.  I live in a place 575 usd a month includes internet cable and utilities.  Small studio but fits what I need.  Good luck