Cooking like a local in Sao Tome and Principe

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Sao Tome and Principe.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Sao Tome and Principe? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Sao Tome and Principe?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

As one of two Americans living in Sao Tome, I was able to shop at local grocery stores that had many of the meats, vegetables, fruit, and other items I am accustomed to and prepare them. You can find chicken, beef, pork, fish, assorted sodas, bottled water,  ice cream, beers, wine, bread, cookies, crackers, cooking oil, flour, rice, beans and just about anything you want. SuperCkdo is the best place to shop for food items. Purchases can only be made by Dobra. USD, Euro, credit cards not accepted. You can covert those currencies at most hotels or a local bank. There is a black market for currency exchange if you know where to look.

As far as local foods, I would eat out at one of the many restaurants. The local food is very good and cheap.

It consists mainly of grilled fish (many types), grilled chicken, pork, beef, fried banana, french fries, plantains (boiled or fried), salad, and rice. Very good food. I miss it.

I never prepared local dishes at home other than deep frying banana or plantain.

It was actually cheaper to eat out than eat in.

The Omali Lodge has a nice restaurant with a nice view of the ocean. Just ask around for the locations of the good restaurants. There are many.