Can I travel in South America with Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro?

Hey guys,

I am Indian living in Brasilia and married to a Brazilian woman. I have Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro (CIE) card. I need to know, Based on CIE card if I can travel in other countries in South America like Argentina, Chile, Uruguay etc. without applying for a visa to those countries?


You need to check the visa requirements for every country you plan to visit.  Living in Brasília, that shouldn't be especially hard.  Mercosul members (Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay) MIGHT extend a break, but I wouldn't take anything for granted.

As far as I know you don't need any visa for mercosul with CIE card...

Hi anybody knows about visa requirement for Chile who holds a Brazilian permanent resident ? Can I go to Chile with my RNE permanent resident card without visa or carry passport ?

Yes you go go to Chile on the can enter any country that Brazilians can enter with only RG and Chile is one of those. The CIE card overides and need for a visa if your from a country that needs a visa....You are regarded as a Brazilian Resident, not a citizen of your home country.

Great article here from gov site, you'll notice CIE estrangeiro is a recognized Brazilian Mercosul travel Document - irregardless of your nationality … sul-com-rg

You can go to any mercosul country or Associate member
Argentina Uruguay, Paraguay   as well as : Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela , Chile

I personally was with a Chinese guy who entered Argentina to go to Foz do Iguaçu with a Temporary residence card (Looks like an RNE but valid for two years) He was working as an expat in Rio
He recieved all the same treatment as any Brazilian including entering with no passport or visa(Chinese require visa for Argentina) and getting discounts at the parks.

I personally have travelled to Argentina and right to Providencia a small colombian caribbean island using only RNE is the past, although I wouldn't have needed visa on my SA passport

Great thank you so much so I only need to carry RNE or do I need carry my passport too ?

Awesome man you are the best on this forum regarding giving information. An other question how long it took for you to get Brazilian citizenship?

from start of process til my name was published in Portaria 9 months, but I only found out my process was done about 4 months later ( they never updated the site, I found my name by a random internet search.)

I just recently got the RG and I can only get the passport in November after the election as they are not registering new voters now because of it so it wil have been about 18 months from application to passport, although it could have been done in 10 months

a year is a good time estimate

Allow me entering here just to add information based on my personal experience!
Well, I do have permanent residence in Brazil since 2016. Last year, I had to attend a conference in Chile. I contacted the embassy, they said that I had to apply for the visa, so PR didn't override in my case.

I wanted to travel to Chile just by bus to enjoy the trip, hence I contacted Argentinian embassy to know about my situation. they also said that I need to have a visa. So, I canceled that program and flew to Chile directly after getting the visit visa.

There are many official sites of Mercosul governments where you can find that any permanent resident can move without a visa but this isn't actually understood by immigration officials. One day I decided just to get information in detail from Mercosul head office in Uruguay. I gave the links and explained about the written form of the visa waiver for permanent residents, the reply was just that who are not citizens of Mercosul nations require a visa. The official didn't even want to explain in detail. So I neither want to get in trouble at immigration points, so be careful.

According to my perception, as there are not many cases of foreigners (Travelling to Mercosul nations) who require a visa in case of absence of Permanent residence of Mercosul, so they don't actually understand the clause. Those foreigners who don't require a visit visa, they can enter without any problem even when they don't have any residence in any Mercosul nation. South African Passport holders don't require any visa to Argentina for visit so, they can visit Argentina without any problem.

Now, I am not sure and don't have any experience of crossing the borders with the Permanent card or landing on the airports to these Mercosul nations. But Whenever, I contacted the embassies, the answer was the same.

If we want to know and try the implication of this clause we need to contact the governments actively.


El Hasan

Oh really that is crazy so I need visa 😢

Regarding citizenship like we go to federal police and apply citizenship right?
When we apply police federal keep the test or they just ask clef-bras certificate ? Once we submit the documents will police visits our home to see ?  Do I need police report from my country with certified from Brazilian embassy in Sri Lanka ?

1.  Based on the new rules, Policia federal will not entertain the naturalization application without the applicant having a certificate of Proficiency in the Portuguese language, which in simple terms means that the applicant must pass the CELPE Bras.

2.  A home visit is done after the submission of the application

3.  A translated authenticated or apostilled criminal certificate is required from all of the countries that you have been a resident of in the last 5 years.

Hope this helps

Stanza51, just curious if you want to chime in:

Living in Brazil and married to a Brazilian since 2004, got my RNE Jan 2005, almost 15 years ago.  Have a Brasilian born teenager, lived continuously in Brazil for 15+ years, I own 2 houses as well.  Was considering getting citizenship when my 15 year official date hits in Jan. 

Do you really think they'd do a home visit or require a Portuguese test?  After 15 years? 

I realize I need to figure this out for myself but just curious if you had any input? 


I travelled all the way to the middle of Colombian Caribbean on it , but as a South African I wouldn't need a visa anyway, still never showed a passport once

"Do you really think they'd do a home visit or require a Portuguese test?  After 15 years?"
Yes it is the law. Al have to take citizen tests to be processed. Not sue as to home inspections since 2017


The requirements for applying for naturalization appear here: … oOrdinaria

As you can see, you should easily qualify. 
There are several ways to document your ability to communicate in Portuguese, and they are listed.  If you don't have any of the others listed, you may have to take the CelpeBras.  It's offered twice a year, usually in May and October.  You've missed the application deadline for this coming October.  The Edital announcing the dates for the May 2020 exam should be published in the Diário Oficial da União in early March.

El Hasan
"I had to attend a conference in Chile."
I am coming out of left field here, but mention of a conference may have triggered "work"! You can travel to Mercosul nations as a tourist, but having a PR in BR does not allow working.
I have never had an issue traveling to a Mercosul country, and Chile was my 2nd destination under my BR PR.

how long are you (as a Brazilian permanent resident travelling on the national id card) able to stay in mercosur countries as a tourist? is it limited to 90 days like other nationalities or do you get an unlimited amount of time there like mercosur citizens do?

Basically yes, but you can extend  it for an additional 90 days, If you desire to stay permanent you need to apply for a permanent resident card,  (VIRET)
From what I heard, MERCOSUR is a trade agreement, not an immigration agreement

I think that Brazilian PR doesn't allow us to travel to any country of South America. It's also written on the PF website. Important thing is your country of origin. Legally cannot enter without visa. Illegally its possible because many countries allow everyone to enter.

If you don't need a visa to enter the second country, you may enter with your CRNM.  If a visa is required, you must enter with a passport/valid visa.

Addendum - for USians, Bolivia issues a visa on arrival; thus, your passport is necessary.  As far as the rest of MERCOSUL  your CRNM should suffice, as it displays your nationality.

@stevefunk hi sir I have a CIE card can I trave to Bolivia

02/15/23  @stevefunk hi sir I have a CIE card can I trave to Bolivia
-@Lamin Camara

Welcome, Lamin Camara.  The Mercosul treaties allow the citizens of Member and Associated Countries to travel among them with just their national ID cards, but do not impose obligations with respect to Third Country Nationals to whom a Member State has granted residency.  As noted above, if the country you'll be visiting doesn't require a tourist visa from citizens of your country of origin, you'll probably be able to enter on your Brazilian CRNM/CIE; if it does require a visa, you may have difficulties.  Even if you're only showing a CRNM/CIE and are admitted, it's a good idea to have your passport with you anyway, just in case. 

BTW, under the 2017 Law of Migration, CIEs issued prior to November 2017 are treated as CRNMs for their entire period of validity, so there was no need to apply for new cards at that time.  As you approach your renewal date, you'll need to go through the normal renewal process for your residency at the Federal Police, and you'll receive a CRNM to replace your CIE when you complete that process.  However, if your CIE says "INDETERMINADA" in the "VALIDADE" space, it will still expire nine years after issue under the 2017 law, and need to be renewed.  So if your CIE was issued in 2014 or before, it's probably time to renew.