Horrific experience at **** hospital's Dentistry Dept.

Had to pay350,000 d for a consultation. Was the only patient in a big room with about 6 dentists and 3 deentists' chairs. Was unlucky as the man who looked at my teeth would only use the thick handle of the "thin hook-like tool" to knoock on teeth. No attempt to explore the cavities.

Arrogantly, he decided that my Wisdom tooth aka "#8" should be extracted. WTf? It was a pain-free tooth, unlike #6!! I told the translator, but this brutal man only did his rough knocking with the handle and had made up his mind.

Befroe the actual work, he ordered an AIDS test. Claiming "all patients would have to get this done". At exactly 2,255.000 VND without the actual work? I feel ripped off and let down.

Might return to complain. Someone should notice when it's the wrong tooth. Bringing a toothpick to show the painful cavity? This knocking on teeth doesn't work to identify problem areas. But then, dentists in the West would use the thin end to probe...

I need drilling, nothing involving the spilling of my blood. And no, I don't have AIDS and don't buy this explanation. But yes, I have encountered folks like him. "Professionals" who won't listen!

The day before, a bus driver couldn't find the SAMSUNG factory near Bac Ninh. His conducttor couldn't use Google Maps?!? Okay, asking 10 times failed miserably. The solution was to kick passengers off the bus with a lie - "this is SAMSUNG". Problem solved Vietnamese style. (Had to share a long ride on a motorcycle taxi with a stranger, a woman. When there was the ramp to crross over the highway, the Chinese Dream couldn't handle the weight and we had to get off and  w a l k. (Selecting the right low gear is another thing may bikers refuse to attempt)

Hanoi huh? I am glad I chose the south. My dentist in Saigon is excellent, uses this modern equipment to evaluate teeth, I guess they don't have it there. Called "X-rays". She found a problem and said, "if it isn't bothering you, just monitor it, and we will check it next time".

gobot wrote:

Hanoi huh? I am glad I chose the south. My dentist in Saigon is excellent, uses this modern equipment to evaluate teeth, I guess they don't have it there. Called "X-rays". She found a problem and said, "if it isn't bothering you, just monitor it, and we will check it next time".

Can you reveal the name of the dentist?
Or do you want to prevent him from raising prices after having many new customers?
:lol:

See this thread. I recall another Saigon dentist thread too but can't find it.

It's worth pointing out that, while I never heard of any dentist demanding an AIDS test, my dentist in the US now uses both gloves and a clear face shield these days.  It makes thing safer for both him and subsequent patients.  This was unheard of when I was young.  An AIDS test is actually rather quick and easy.

You are correct about not using X-rays as a screening tool.  In Vietnam, they seem reluctant to use them unless they have a specific target tooth and are ready to do the work.

The > 2.500.000 d price tag rues me as none of this will be put to relieve my pain from a cavity in need of drilling.

Some people just don't bother with listening. Am thinking of returning and complaining about the way the problem was wrongly assessed.

This time, I will put a toothpick into the cavity to show its exact location ;)

Chris

Dont bother, you will be wasting you your time. That kind of "professional" doesn't give a f*ck.

I actually had a similar experience in Saigon just over 2 years ago. "Dentist" wanted to rip out a tooth and fit an implant - only 5000 dollars to you, squire.

I said shove it. I found a Dr. Hung with a state of the art dental surgery a few hundred metres away and he fixed me a new crown, explaining that the peg on my existing crown (that had detached itself) was too short.I think the whole thing, involving two visits, a bit of drilling, a new titanium peg and a new crown, cost about 400 USD or thereabouts.

Dont bother, you will be wasting you your time. That kind of "professional" doesn't give a f*ck.

I actually had a similar experience in Saigon just over 2 years ago. "Dentist" wanted to rip out a tooth and fit an implant - only 5000 dollars to you, squire.

I said shove it. I found a Dr. Hung with a state of the art dental surgery a few hundred metres away and he fixed me a new crown, explaining that the peg on my existing crown (that had detached itself) was too short.I think the whole thing, involving two visits, a bit of drilling, a new titanium peg and a new crown, cost about 400 USD or thereabouts.
-@eodmatt

I went to another dentist after first one destroyed my tooth, she was supposedly teaching at uni or was that lie? Who knows. Her office was dirty, in moment I was thinking I am gonna catch Hepatitis or HIV there. Finding good dentist here is roll of the dice.

It's worth pointing out that, while I never heard of any dentist demanding an AIDS test, my dentist in the US now uses both gloves and a clear face shield these days. It makes thing safer for both him and subsequent patients. This was unheard of when I was young. An AIDS test is actually rather quick and easy.

You are correct about not using X-rays as a screening tool. In Vietnam, they seem reluctant to use them unless they have a specific target tooth and are ready to do the work.
-@THIGV

I remember in my remote and small hometown already in 1984 dentist  used facemask and sterile gloves.  I don't remember if she used faceshield, probably not. Professional dentists were already at that time fully aware of possibility of HIV transmission.