Do and don't in Iran

Are you living in Iran? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Iran?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Iran?

Thanks!

I think it is not easy to live here in Iran for a foreigner except he/she has some Iranian friends to support him & teach him basic things! otherwise there will be many problems. I can explain more later. :/

Hamed_H wrote:

I can explain more later.

That would be really appreciated, thanks Hamed-H !

If you want to live in Iran the most important thing you should consider is the new political situation. many educated Iranian people try to go abroad because here everything gets worse & worse! Financial problmes for normal people is now a disaster!
Besides there are some other limitations that the government force people due to religious reasons.   
Although the condition for tourists is quite different & through a good package tour you can make a lot of beautiful memories here  ;)

actually,as Iranian person who couldn't live in Iran...I must tell you the Iran could be a nice country with kind people and thousand reason for attraction tourism  but now every thing is so complicated, mess!!! everything changed talent,educated  person are prisoner or ran away due to suck and stupid rules  ...

hello,

I am considering accepting a job in Iran as an expat, I have no idea about living in Iran except what I see from TV. What should I expect? I am married my wife will move with me, and she is really concerned about the life style in Iran. any suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

tell me in which city are you supposed to live? I think you will not have problem if you live in a big city like Tehran.
Besides as you are Turkish you should be familiar with general Islamic rules... Do not hesitate to ask me further questions.

hmmm...very intresting i would like to go iran someday and learn the lenguage :-)

i have lived in USA for the past 28 yrs and have held high level jobs in USA and consider moving to IRAN,,,i have given it a lot of thought and so many tell me not to move there but deep down i feel it is ok ,,,so i am going there soon in december but would like to know how can i stay in touch with forginers in IRAN in case i get home sick ( i would like to make frinds with spain, italy, and france ) while in iran ,,BTW, iwas born in IRAN and am a KURD

Hello Shala and welcome to Expat.com :)

Where will you be based in Iran?

You could always check out the Network of expatriates in Iran and get in touch with some of them - even prior of moving there.

Hope this helps
Arlette

Iran has many political ( and at the moment very big financial ) problems, but what country doesn't? You can say such things about many countries in the world.
South of the city seems to be very dangerous after midnight, but nobody lives there? or you may never visit there?
I lived in Moscow and that's a city you can say is dangerous late at night. I was out late at night in some poor regions of the city and It was beautiful and nothing happened. I think for travelers and generally speaking , for everyone, nothing happens if you are familiar with the basics that all follow while traveling. Do not worry , Islamic rules in Iran are not even comparable with what you may see in Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia. Islamic rules in Iran are now a mixture of religion, culture, ethnic chracteristics of some areas and many other factors. If you want to travel to Iran , don't worry, Iranian people are very hospitable. It is true that life hardships may change the people, but culture has very deep roots in the heart of this people.

Thanks for this sharing farzan!

Harmonie.:)

Hey Harmonie,
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hello
Iran is multi cultural country. It depends on where you want to go and customs maybe different. But here some advise:

Be polite with Iranian people. respect is important in my country.
Be friendly and you will find many friends.
Don't criticize their culture and history.
be comfortable. People often are religious but often are moderate. not very religious as it is in arabic countries.

and many other things also. ask if want to know about something specific.

Sorry if my english is not very good.

I'm not an Iranian but I learned that you should say hi and have a small talk anytime you see someone that you know or they will think something is wrong with you or you are disrespectful. You should offer anything you have even if you don't want to give and if you offer more than one or two that offer is real, it means you really are offering. If you say ok in first offer they may think you are disrespectful. If you go as a guest to someone's home and have a meal you should wash their dishes. It was super strange for me because here it can translate bad. I know this much but if anyone knows more about what is considered as respectful or disrespectful/ bad or good please write so I can learn also. I experienced that wiredness that you think you behaved good but in that culture it isn't good and people don't tell you anything but they become colder with you so you don't understand what is going on 🙄

"should say hi and have a small talk anytime you see someone that you know or they will think something is wrong with you or you are disrespectful"
It is somehow true, if you become friends with people you have to talk to them when you see them, unless you are in a hurry, you are going somewhere and can't talk and the like.

"You should offer anything you have even if you don't want to give and if you offer more than one or two that offer is real"
It can be true, with close friends only, with relatives, with someone you can have a joke with.

"If you go as a guest to someone's home and have a meal you should wash their dishes."
Absolutely not true, unless in students dormitories and in this case they will wash the dishes together.

"I experienced that wiredness that you think you behaved good but in that culture it isn't good and people don't tell you anything but they become colder with you so you don't understand what is going on 🙄"
It is unfortunately true. Even in the lives of married couples sometimes this happen.