Paying bills in Cambodia

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Cambodia?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Cambodia? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla.

As far as I know it is common practice in Cambodia to pay the utility bills separately from your rent.

That is the case with me, I pay my rent by bank transfer, and the electricity, the only variable one, I pay cash to the landlord (who lives on the same premises). Each house has its own electricity meter inside, so a monthly check, deduced by last month's count, gives the used kW. I pay 1000 riel ($0.25) per kW and come out on an average of $25 a month. Water is a steady sum of $5 per month. In my case cable TV and (excellent) WiFi are freely provided by the landlord.

Hope this answers your questions Priscilla.

Cheers

Joe

Same here: electricity is paid to the landlord. I do pay the water myself and use the WING offices for that.

Hey PRISCILLA I live in a guesthouse and have no bills except for the rent each money , electricity and water are included , I do live in a fan room and do know some guesthouses charge electric if you have ac  hope that helps M

You walk into the vendors outlet and pay the bill with cash. Internet, electric and so on. Service is very efficient.

I rented an apartment in the BKK 3 area. I paid 300$ a month in rent for a 1 bedroom apartment. I paid the electric bill and water bill to the landlord when I paid rent. Water bill was $3 USD a month. Electric was $.25 USD cents per Kilowatt. It usually ran $30 USD a month. It could goto $100.00 USD if you ran the air-conditioning all night which I did a few months. My TV and Wi-Fi internet we're provided free d from the landlord. I paid $60 - $90 USD for Moto bike rental for the month. $132.00 USD for tuk tuk rides to work during the rainy months. Other expenses were food. I would budget $100 -$150 a month for food. 8$ a month for gas in the rented Moto.

Hi Priscilla!

I have yet to find a stable source of income (still keeping my fingers crossed that I will finally grab one soon), hence I have yet to attend to my own bills, too.

I can only answer your query through the experiences of other people I know. I should say the process that they go through is hassle-free.

More often than not, they pay their rent to their landlord/landlady each month, together with the charges on electric and water consumption. There's no need to worry about cable tv and internet bills because they already form part of the monthly rent.

With regard to their phone, they avail of the prepaid services. Hence, no bill again.

Where bills are concerned, the prevailing practices here in Phnom Penh are truly hassle-free and worry-free.

I pay everything in cash from my ATM card. Not too many people or businesses take credit cards or ATM cards.

hi Priscilla.
i am a cash paying kind of guy... my landlord (lives upstairs)get cash for everything, usually, we have a bottle of wine or some beer while this transaction takes place...
a very pleasant way to do business methinks.

Couldn't agree more.

There's no better way to undertake things such as this than to have it over a glass of wine or a bottle of lager.  A cup of coconut palm wine may also do the trick.

Since I run the business,  I have a little bit different experince.  One of my staffs wastes 1/3 of her time to pay the bills. All the persons posted which I read are pretty lucky guys.
Such as EDC,  we do have to negotiate very hardly if required.

Many thanks for reading my murmurs

You're luckier, sir. You run a business, whereas we could only hope we own one.

Hi Priscilla,   In Cambodia I always paid the rent and utilities together directly to the land lords agent. Hope that helps.  Regards, Owen.

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Cambodia?

They're usually NOT included. Except in SOME condo unit owners. Some bills include Cable TV which is $10, and internet - should be around $20 ish

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

Utility bills? There is "WING" in every corner of PP or if you have an ABA bank account, you can pay through their mobile App. Saved me a lot of time, I didn't have to go during my lunch break 'cause they also have a 24/7 cash-in deposit machine.

With what frequency are different bills sent in Cambodia? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Deadlines are all different. Water bills arrive every two months. and EDC is just normal, monthly

Hope this helps.