Online shopping in Namibia

Hello everyone,

Shopping online can be far more convenient and offer greater choice than going into shops, be it grocery shopping or retail.

Are there options for online shopping in Namibia? Which sites or apps do you use most frequently and are these local or international?

Are there particular products that are cheaper to buy online or that are perhaps not available in Namibia?

What is the delivery process like — is it easy to receive deliveries and what are the costs of shipping? Are there any taxes to pay upon receipt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Personally I find online shopping in Namibia virtually non existent as far as Namibian websites go and what I would expect when going online to find goods.

There are some businesses that have a "website", however I use that term loosely. Usually there's no pricing showing and it just says contact us.

From what I've read on the government website regarding what is allowed to be imported it is very restrictive and you will have to pay tax on any goods over $400 NAD (that figure is from memory. It may be more but i thought the amount was very low). On goods valued at $2000 NAD i had sent from home I had to pay $590 NAD.

I had to actually email my home country to find out where my package was as it still hadn't arrived even after a few weeks of my arrival.
In the end they tracked it to Nampost who apparently said they'd tried to deliver it/phone but the person whose address and phone number I used had not heard from or seen Nampost.

I'm sure I sound very critical but as I said, it's my personal view coming from a country that has great online shopping.