Living in chennai, where, how, how much ???

Hi everybody,

My company just propose me a job in Chennai as expat. for the moment I accept, and we will soon negociate the conditions... So I would like to know some basics of the life in Chennai especially about where and how much to rent a house in good place of Chennai, how expensive is the expat life in Chennai. My wife and my little baby will come also so have you maybe some information about Nanies, is it good nanies ? what can be the cost ?

I take some times to find these information on the internet but for the moment I didn't find any good site to help me on this topic. Maybe you could have some...

I thank you very much in advance for your usefull answer

Welcome on Expat.com JohnLe :)

I will suggest you to view this website to get an overview of the approximate cost of living in Chennai. It listed the price of the basic "items/services" that am sure will be helpful to you to calculate your monthly/weekly expenses.

Hope this helps a little bit meanwhile.

Regards

Hi,
Welcome to Expat community of Chennai. I am a Freelancer and help expatriates settle down without any trouble in Chennai.You can be rest assured that you have a very smooth transition to Chennai and sttle down.
You can be in touch with me.

Regards
Tribeafri_2000

Hi tribeafri_2000!

If you have useful information that can help JohnLe please post them on the forum so that others can benefit from it.
Kindly note also that free advertisement is not allowed on the forum.

Thanks and regards
Armand

[Moderated: Please use private message instead]

Hi Le,
Let me know when is your arriving plan or bringing your family would like to help you on this.
regards

Hi jkbehera!

Maybe you could share the information on the forum so that others could benefit from it.

Regards
Armand

I moved out of Chennai in February after 1 great year spent there. The best areas of town are Besant Nagar and Alwarpet; they're nice residential neighbourhoods with lots of trees and little traffic. Besant Nagar is along Elliots Beach, there's a promenade, 2 big supermarkets, gyms and restaurants.  A two bedroom, furnished flat with A/C should be around Rs 25,000 ($550) in those two areas.

If you have a car and a bigger budget then a house along the East Coast Road (ECR) heading South of Chennai is also an option. Look at classifieds.sulekha.com/chennai/real-estate/home.aspx to get a sense of the market prices.

Life is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. There's a price for every budget. If you want to limit yourself to 5 star hotels you'll be spending an average of $25 for a meal, not including drinks. Drinks are very expensive, with 30ml of whiskey, brandy, etc costing around $7-8, beer around $5 for 330ml and wine something ridiculous like $50 a bottle. There are mid-range restaurants where food shouldn't cost more than $5. Alcohol is limited to bars in 5 star hotels + 2 bars that are more reasonably priced (Zara's and 10D). As for entertainment, there are plenty of Indian classical music concerts and dance performances that you'll hardly pay anything for. The Music Academy and Kalakshetra Foundation are two venues with websites that's worth keeping an eye on.

Hope that helped. I don't know about nannies I'm afraid.

I don't know about nannies,

Hı Lauracostıca,
                nıce to hear from you many ınformatıon about Chennaı as a Chennaı person lıvıng ın Abroad for many years, your ınformatıon useful for my next vacatıon to Chennaı.. thanks and keep ıt up..

hi iam raj ,i was in milan for around 7 years and now back to chennai,i would lov to make italian conversation ,if you have any meeting plz let me know.
vediamo presto ,parliamo in italiano ,grazie

Dear Lauracostica,
Thanks for sharing your tips on this forum !
I noticed you only mentionned south areas when talking about nice places to live for expats.
Actually, my husband and I are going to be living in the north part of Chennai to be closer to his job.
So I wanted to ask you if you knew about nice areas up north ?

thanks in advance and best regards,

christelle

Hi Christelle, Hi John,
Welcome to our fast growing french community in Chennai !
The nicest area in North of Chennai is Nungabakkam (also a costly one) but upnorth there are also Purasavakkam, vadapalani (northwest), anna nagar (maybe too far).
Usually, you will find expats in Nungabakkam, Alwarpet, Teynapet, R.A Puram, Adyar, Kotturpuram, Besant Nagar, When they prefer to live in the city.
And outside the city, mostly on south chennai on ECR (East Coast Road) From Thiruvanmyur to Kanathur...on the way to Pondicherry.

For nanies, it's better when you can find someone refered by another expatriates...There is french family returning back to France by end of June, their maid who is was also their nanie for many years will be available.

The rent for appartment or house is now increased by almost 30 to 40 % compared to 2009/2010 and today the petrol is 67,22 rs/ltr (april 2011 : 62/litr)...
Best regards,
T.

Thanks a lot for your answer tab74 !

Anna Nagar is actually the area advised by the company. The factory is really far from the city center. So the further we will be from the center, the closer my husband will be to his office.

I'll take a look on the map to see where are the other areas you mentionned !

Thanks a lot, Have a nice day,

Christelle

Hi Christelle,
You're welcome!
Where is the office located ?
Regards,

Hi again :)

Thiruvallur (I have to admit, I'm not sure about the spelling ...)

Hi !
Don't worry about the spelling...it's different each time here ! :)
I think Thiruvallur is out of Chennai anyway.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Please register in the Business directory]

Really No People Just tend to hangout so easily in chennai.
People Should Network,Exchange views.. etc..
get in touch Friens..OPEN out

Hi,
Where is your job location in Chennai?

life in chennai is very cheap it only depends on your expectations.

thanks..how much would larger 4 bedroomed villas cost me?

Hello crystabel -> This thread is 2 years old. Kindly start a new thread on the Chennai forum. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

[Moderated: avoid copy paste post pls]