Warning for seeking dental care in Manila/Makati

My name is Grace Edwards and expats from New York.  My husband and I have been living in Makati area for 5 years and I am sharing with you, especially the newbies my terrible, frustrating and so time-consuming experience I had with dentists here in Makati area.   These 2 dental group that I will mention are the 2 dental group to avoid by all means.  The first one is the ****   I went to this dentist Dr.***, for crowns, bridge and eventually an implant.  I went to *** and have seen her in a period of a year and a half.  I was never happy with her work because it did not meet the standard I was hoping for from an American owned establishment.  The materials that were used was below standard even do the fee they charged was for a higher quality material.  This is the reason for all the delays in fitting and adjustments and breakage.  I was so frustrated that towards the end of the treatment.  I  just gave up and just make do with what I have even though I am still suffering from the inefficiency of the dentist.  Last month, I decided to go back and see a dentist for my lower tooth that was having a problem since *** said, I can always come back if there is any problem since it is part of the fee I have paid.   **** was no longer working there and they can not give any information about her whereabouts.   They have a dentist named ***  I am a very trusting person, so I gave this ***  a chance.   That same day he had given 11 crowns and one extraction.  I was there for 5 hours.  He drilled and drilled most of my lower teeth.  I was in misery.  He charged me 60.000.00 pesos for the procedure.  I realized then that I have made a mistake.  Again, the job was sloppy and below the standard of what I expect from this establishment.   I am owning my mistake.  I asked for all my records for those 4 years I have been coming here.  I left and vowed never to return to this place ever again.

The second dental group I went to was the ***.  These are a group of dentists located in the lower ground of the building.   The clinic I went to was a very expensive, ultra high tech dental environment and was surrounded by videos of local celebrities touting this establishment.  The dentist I met was a ***, and the first statement he said to me quoting him verbatim  "I am not here for the money, I am very wealthy.  I am here for my passion to fix teeth that others messed up"  That should have been a flag for me, but I like to give people a chance.  I was there for a tooth that has been bothering me, a tooth that is next to an implant.  After an x-ray and an unnecessary cat scan of my mouth(The x-ray was 2000 and the CT Scan was 14,000),  they asked me to come back the next day to study the films.  I came back the next day and spoke to ***, DMD and she explained to me the severity of my case, that I needed more implants, extractions and that I need a new bridge and crown and that I have to wear a denture for 6 months and the procedure will be at least a year and that the lower teeth have to be replaced even though I have explained to them that It was just done last month.  They said because they do the upper that the lower has to be adjusted.  I realized then and then that these people are there to take advantage of me being an expat, and they saw dollars signs all over.  I just took off feeling so angry and frustrated.

I am still looking for a real dentist who can sincerely help me.  Please, expats, avoid these places.  I learned a very hard lesson and very costly experience.   Do not even attempt to give it a try and please share my experience to all expats.

Sincerely,

Grace Edwards

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : removal of name of companies and dentists - can lead to defamation

Hi, Grace. I am a local and we usually go to our family dentist instead of a corporate-managed dental clinic. It is the same experience with you and that is for two generations. I don't think there is any convenient way to manage this except to say that you don't have much money for such a procedure and you will prefer budget options.

Also, since you have experienced expensive dental clinics, maybe try the not so expensive ones? In my experience, dentists that came from the University of the Philippines is usually more passionate and knowledgeable than their peers. Dentists from a state university are less money grubbing than the ones that came from private med school.

Also, you can file a complaint regarding the practice of dentist to the proper authority.

Maybe someone with more positive experience can give us a recommendation. Will be watching this thread.

And I thought the Naval dental clinic in Antipolo was bad for overcharging me 18,000 pesos for teeth whitening.

Hi

Without explaining the complex details of the work I had done, I have been extremely happy with Gerochi Dental and Implant Center here in Makati on Jupiter St.   2.5 hours with a difficult procedure and the cost was P18,000 .   I had x rays  done for P1000 at another clinic close to Makati Med, but that dentist did not gain my confidence.    I am going back to the Jupiter clinic for a check up and cleaning this Saturday and will post here if there is something to report.

Thank you, Mark!  I appreciate your comments and yes I am still looking for the right dentist!

Thanks Bob and yes I will make an appointment with Gerochi Dental and Implant Center and will let you know my progress.

I have been told of a very good lady in ortigas top quality. Not cheap 90,000 an implant but my mate who studied dentistry in Manila says shes first class.

However open to find good dentists for implants , I need two. In Australia an implant costs $7000 per tooth 280,000 peso and medical rebate is tiny

I intend to only have my teeth cleaned while in the Philippines,  keeping my dentist and periodontist in the USA.  What should I expect to pay for a cleaning? (Manila and Ilocos Sur)