Good private schools in Doha?

Hi all,

I'm new in Doha (less than a week). From Toronto, Canada but have been living in Dubai for the last 5 yrs.

Looking to get some feedback/advice from people who've been there done that...

Would be great if you can share your experiences about the schools - the fees, professionalism of teachers and administration, curriculum and academic standards, extra-curricular activities, school atmosphere and how the other students are in general.

I have two kids - 10 yr old boy and 6 yr old girl who will be joining me soon.

Regards,

Noman

Noman 68

welcome to Doha and hopefully you will enjoy it here. Private schools in Doha are the best way to go, Public schools have no discipline and the students just run wild while the teachers just sit back and watch. 

Private schools can be pricey and can be cheap, you will always get the quality you pay for. These are the schools i would recommend.

American School of Doha
Qatar Academy
(these are 2 of the top American System schools in doha)

Doha Academy
Al Jazzera Academy
(the best in the British system)

If these schools are out of your price range, please respond and i will give my other recommendation.

Take care and Good Luck,
Lathe

qatarvisitor.com/index.php?cID=414&pID=1027&cName=Residents&pName=qatar-schools&PHPSESSID=8310b2556214f791ef7f2dfa58e47e16

Gives a fairly comprehensive list of schools in Qatar and details of their aims

International School of London is also cool.

Qatar International school is perfect (British national Cirriculum)

Fees range from 24000 QR and above

Hi,
Am with Norman 68 in the same pot. looking for schools in Doha offering British Curriculum. Plse help with your advices and Ideas. my kids are six and eight respectively . what is your take on Newton International School, DESS, ACS just got invite to visit.

Malcom jk

Good schools offering the British Cirriculum are: Qatar International School, International School of London (Sherborne) and Park House. Newoton as well teaches the BC but I am not sure if it is at the same level like other though it has almost the same fees.

Choeuifat also is a good school but your children will have to study hard and always will have regular exams.;

My son used to go to QIS (Qatar International School) and it is perfect.

Honestly, One of the worst schools i have ever seen not just in Doha, but world wide. Not a learner place, but rather a place for kids to kill time. It looks organized, but kids learn nothing usefull at that school.

The international school of london is one of most expensive schools in Doha and yet the worst by far. Everyone i know attending the international school of London in Doha is about to leave the school.

Poor education and a total waste our kids time to send them to this school. Stay away of this school and try other ones. Such as Global, Doha College, DESS.

We and our friends had a terrible experience in regards to learning. Some of us managed to send the kids to other school and some are looking for places for their kids.

Choeuifat :)

Choeuifat is ok but if you and ur kids would be able to study all time day and night the whole year!!

Tony - Doha, I didn't know that International school of London is that bad,  would appreciate if you can share more details here or in a private message as I have applied for my kids there for 2012-2013. My elder son was in Qatar International school and it is Perfect, they are so strict but school, teachers, curriculum are perfect!

hi all
I am very intrested in some points said on here. i move 2doha on august 2012 have got incontact 2schools
doha british collage schhol
doha montessori british school
can any one give me any infomaiton about this many thanx

I am sorry to disagree but I am aware that Newton International School West Bay is a very good school offering the British National Curriculum. They have recently been accredited by a world wide International recognised body and got an outstanding report.
Please don't let misguided information cloud your judgement and I would strongly recommend you investigate all options.

Please note there are several Newton schools and should not all be clumped under the one umbrella.

Would appriciate if anybody can refer me the cheap international school with british or American curriculum.

Thanks

Tony, What is exactly bad about the school? can you give me further info ?? i heard it is very good ??!!

My son studied in AIS Egypt & it's very famous & one of the top american schools in egypt, though when we joined i discovered it's only fake reputation & we faced many problems.

Can you explain more for me please ..
Thanks

Marianna

tony_doha wrote:

Honestly, One of the worst schools i have ever seen not just in Doha, but world wide. Not a learner place, but rather a place for kids to kill time. It looks organized, but kids learn nothing usefull at that school.

The international school of london is one of most expensive schools in Doha and yet the worst by far. Everyone i know attending the international school of London in Doha is about to leave the school.

Poor education and a total waste our kids time to send them to this school. Stay away of this school and try other ones. Such as Global, Doha College, DESS.

We and our friends had a terrible experience in regards to learning. Some of us managed to send the kids to other school and some are looking for places for their kids.

Hi Lathe,
What are your recommendations for the cheaper private schools?

Thank you

Hi evry1,I'm moving to Qatar wit a 5year 1 visit work visa.I've not secured a job yet,but my  proffesion is Brickmason,can anybody advice me  on how easy I may find a job on arrival?would 1000$ be enuff for my BTA ?I would appreciate if my questions are anwserd.thanks looking forwad to hearing from u guys.

Kenneth - read the thread - its about schools - if you want a job suggest you post an ad in the appropriate section of the blog.

Hello, does anyone in this blog have children at the doha british montessori school please? we are actively considering it for our child, and would be keen to have feedback. thanks in advance

tried to apply my child there but they have no spaces for academic year 2013/2014 !!
i heard it's very good

chiaramonterosso wrote:

Hello, does anyone in this blog have children at the doha british montessori school please? we are actively considering it for our child, and would be keen to have feedback. thanks in advance

Dear Marianna, thanks for your feedback!  do you know of parents sending their children there and if so, what do they have to say about it? on what grounds do they consider it very good? i would be keen to have any information. thanks again

Hi, I am new here!!

I have some question regarding secondary school in Doha.

My husband has got a job in Doha and we are looking for a school for my son, 14 years old and need to find good secondary school there.

Currently my son goes to New Zealand school, but in the past, he went to Japanese school and French school.

But my husband told me it is so hard that they don't even let him see the school and told him to apply online first.

So I am wondering if there is anyone who has a child goes to good secondary school in Doha.  If so, then could you please share some of the info?

I want to know..

1.  Which one do you recommend? ( English speaking school preferred.

2. How can we see the school?  ( I was told they don't let them in the school.  We are now in Doha for a week... Our time is very limited.)

3.  How can we get a place for my son?( So far we found International School of London, ACS, British Montessori seems good.  But British school doesn't accept any application any more, ACS said that ' maybe, maybe not.  apply online.'  Which made us very frustrated.  International school of London doesn't answer the phone.)

Please let me know if you have any info!!

Thank you very much!

Many of the schools you mention would ask you to put in an application because their waiting lists are 5 times longer than their current enrolment numbers!

The process is usually that you apply - then at some point in time when you near the top of the waiting list you are asked to bring your child for testing. If the school is then willing to enrol your child they will offer you a tour and you can them accept or decline. Other than that you need to know someone!

My only other suggestion is to turn up on their doorstep and ask to speak to someone. This week coming is the last week of school before a week holiday so may be a good time to try as student numbers may be lower due to people taking a 2 week break instead of one.

If you find a copy of Marhaba in Virgin or Carrefour it has a good list of the schools in Doha with their contact details, addresses and what curriculum they teach etc

thanks, dragonladyoz for your advice!

Yes, I got that info book. 

I am so surprised how hard it is to just get a place in the school!!

I will be patient...!

We have friends that waited 4 mths to get a place and know of others that eventually sent their wives/families back to the UK as they couldn't get places. You might want to look into home schooling for a while - I understand there are a number of groups that are involved in this.

mmmmm..  That makes me scared!! Ok.  I will go and see some schools.

Thanks again!

Yes dear i have a couple who has their 3 kids in the school & they are very satisfied with the system .. Unfortunately, admission is closed since feb & they take no more applications :(

chiaramonterosso wrote:

Dear Marianna, thanks for your feedback!  do you know of parents sending their children there and if so, what do they have to say about it? on what grounds do they consider it very good? i would be keen to have any information. thanks again

DESS and Doha College are fantastic schools for anyone looking for a school offering the British curriculum. DESS is for children aged 3-11 and gives priority to British passport holders (I have 2 children there), Doha College has both Primary and Secondary education and my daughter is in year 8 of their Secondary school (age 13). I can't fault either school and as a result of their great reputations there is often a waiting list for all year groups. We went and looked round both schools before submitting any applications back in Jan 2011 - we just phoned the schools and made appointments while we were in Doha having a look around.
Other schools worth looking at that follow the British curriculum are Sherborne, Compass and Doha British School (it's no longer a Montessori school) - they all have Primary and Secondary year groups. The key is to get your name onto a waiting list - we were told that my sons were 8th and 30th on the waiting list for their age groups for a Sept 2011 start at DESS, but we still got offered places for both of them within 4 months of applying. My daughter took entrance tests for Doha College in Feb 2011 and had her place confirmed pretty much immediately for a start in Sept 2011 in year 7, which is when we were moving to Doha.
If anyone is looking for Primary places, Doha College has just announced in the last week that they will be opening a new campus in Sept 2013 in West Bay. As a result there will be places available in all year groups (age 3-11) for a Sept start. Some existing students will transfer to the new site which means there will be spaces at both sites (existing school is near al Waab) - go to dohacollege.com for further details.
Good luck to all people trying to secure school places - it can be very stressful but definitely worth waiting for the right school places to come up!

Hey  hello
Is there any good international school in Qatar .
If there please let me know . But a not so expensive .

Hi,
I found your post appropriate. We are looking for places in Doha college for Year 1 and 2 and 9. On their website they have waiting list for year 1 n year 2. We want our 3 kids in 1 school if possible. Do they give preference for siblings? Please help.We r currently in England n will be shifting by end of June.
Hope you will help soon.
Thank you for your time.
Xx

As above - you can be lucky - you might not be.

Preference is usually given to siblings - but that may not be until the following year enrolment. Doha College is opening a new campus at Lagoon - but only primary - there might be a few places open up at main campus once some people shift over to the new campus.

All you can do is try - although I would also suggest that you apply to other schools as well, just in case.

Thank you ever so much.

I think you will find that Doha College does not openly give preference to siblings as it is a selective entry school - therefore the children would need to meet the entrance criteria if they are to be offered a place. However, in reality if 2 children were applying for one place they would most likely offer the place to a sibling over someone else if they have met the entrance criteria. Just so you are aware, Doha College have just announced that applications for a Sept 2013start in the primary school  are now closed due to the high volumes of applications they have received.

Thank you dear. We will try and send the latest report of all my children and wait for the revert.
I am also considering Sherborne, DESS, ParkHouse,

Please share your opinion about Qatar Academy. The website doesnot give relevant information. It follows IB curriculam.

:)

Thanks for the post. I'm having a challenge to find any availability for my 7 and 3 years old boys for Sept 2013 term. Do you know of any schools currently accepting new students?

I m new....sorry if this is a repeat question:

Please list 3 top AC schools in Doha (Middle school and High School).

Thanks

Hi
There many issues with schools:
1) waiting lists, sometimes goes up to two years
2) fees: quite expensive for the good ones, difficult to find a good school below 10 k euros per year
Check dohamums, I think they have a comprehensive list of fees and schools
3)teachers: very often amateurs
Basically the demand is higher than the offer so parents have a very Low power and have accept whatever is there. There may be exceptions but overall in dubai schools are much better and government monitoring / control is tighter

Hi Abdulali,

I suggest you to read the previous posts on this discussion. It might be helpful in getting some answers to your questions.

---------------------------------------------------------
Hi samabd,

Just want to remind you that the title of the discussion is actually 'Good private schools in Doha'.

Feel free to share your experiences relative to the subject.

Thank you

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Do you know any international schools? I am from the UK a professional teacher who is interested in teaching in the middle east saudia arabia, Qatar so on.

Hi, we have decided to give a go and live in Doha.  I have a son who is just turning 15 years old.  Do you have any info regarding secondary school in Doha?  I know it is very hard to get a place for primary school age, but how about secondary school??

Thank you for your help!!  :)

Hi All,

I have come to doha recently and my son is 4.4 years old. I am looking for a good private school for him in Doha. Looking for a good reputed school for him which would help his all round development. :cool:

Like any parent I dont want my kid to just stick to books throughout the day. I want him to play and have fun and learn new things and enjoy while he learns.  :)

Please give me the best International and Indian school here which allows me to pay fees in monthly mode and also meet the above.

Looking forward for valuable inputs and answers. I am planning for admissions this month. So dont have much time.Please advise.

Thanks in advance!