Cost of Living in Germany - Baden Wurttemberg

Hello All,

I am an Electronics engineer having 14 years of international experience in various countries.

I am looking forward to move to Germany to take up employment, with my family (Myself, Wife and 2 Kids , 4 years old and 2 years old)

I am contemplating for a job offer in South Germany. I request for your guidance before i negotiate the salary.

My prospective employer has verbally indicate a Annual Gross salary of Euro 72,000

I calculated my monthly net salary (after tax, health and pension deduction) for Tax Category 3 to be Euros 4,000

Based on this i have made the below budget for a month

4 Room Apartment (warm)                      1100
Utility (Electricity, water etc)                     250
Telephone and High Speed Internet      100
Food, Groceries, Snacks, Restaurant      1000
Entertainment, Clothing                            200
Saving for Annual Vacation                       300
Buy a new Car (monthly instalments)     350
Car maintenance, tax, fuel                         300

The Total Expenses sum upto Euros 3600

Which leaves me with a small saving of 400 euros.

I understand the Kindergarten and school for kids is for free, Maybe it costs some money.

Please advise is my budgeting correct and enough to lead a decent comfortable life? Or should i capture any other cost apart from above

Also is the prospective employer offering a fair salary?

Your help and inputs is much appreciated

The salary is standard for your background. Using http://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info and some assumed settings, I get €3850 payout per month, but this depends on your personal circumstances and can differ.
It is difficult and prone to mistakes to make a detailed budget beforehand - and it's equally difficult for us to comment on it, without knowing your lifestyle, preferences and spending habits.
I'll try some comments nevertheless:
- The payout is slightly above the average for a German family of this size. So you will manage if you adapt to a local lifestyle.
- Rent heavily depends on the city. Your budget is enough in most places, but maybe not in Stuttgart (at least if you need a separate room for each kid).
- Food is on the low side, but o.k. if you don't eat out often.
- Schooling is free ()except incidental expenses like books, stationery, etc.), but kindergarten is not - you need €200-600/month per kid, depending on the place and duration of care. But since most places have long waiting lists for newcomers, you might not need this anyway. (Will your wife stay at home?)
- It is perfectly possible to use public transport in most places, so the car expense is optional.

Dear  beppi,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

The city would be Waldshut, Wher

My wife is not working, she will be at home

We would eat out in restaurant 4 times in a month, would be a average mid cit restaurant. Otherwise we would be cooking at home.

How much do you think I should allocate the budget for food if you think 1000 euros is on the lower side?

Thanks

Waldshut is next to Switzerland and therefore probably on the expensive side (but I have never been there).
For a restaurant meal you need to budget €10-30/person.

I think you will do OK as this is well above the median German household income. I live on much less despite living in Stuttgart. I doubt Waldshut is expensive although near the Swiss border. Smaller municipalities tend to be cheaper than the bigger cities or known University towns. There is however a higher likelihood that you will need a car in such an area. Public transportation is good in middle to big cities, not necessarily so good in small communities or more rural areas.

Dear Tomin,

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

From the above replies from members, i feel this salary is fine to move to germany.

Thank You

Hi All,

I too have similar question, I am offered in Stuttgart Germany with Euro 2700 after tax deduction. I will accompanied with family (wife and 2 year kid). Please where this budget is affordable to live in Stuttgart, Germany.

Thanks.

Navanee_38 wrote:

I too have similar question, I am offered in Stuttgart Germany with Euro 2700 after tax deduction. I will accompanied with family (wife and 2 year kid). Please where this budget is affordable to live in Stuttgart, Germany.

What do you want to know?
This is about an average income for a German family of the same size, do it's certainly possible, but you won't be rich.