Living in the Michigan

You are an expatriate living in the Michigan, or you used to  work and live in the Michigan.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in the Michigan?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in the Michigan?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in the Michigan?

Thanks in advance for your participation

I am not an expat, but I do live in Michigan, its a great state! I love all the hiking spots we have and waterfalls and the weather may not be the greatest but its Michigan and I love it!

trying to find work hear near im possible 9% unemployment no one really wants to give you a go i am a mechanic back in australia unless you are ase certified they will not look at your resume. But on thr other hand accomodation cheap we bought a brand new house hear for less than half what we did back home. And the weather winter freezing cold with snow and summer so humid

Michigan has lots of natural beauty.  The lakes are spectacular.  However, it is a difficult place to settle because it is not very transient.  People have known each other for years.  No real ex pat communities.  Found it really difficult to make friends.

michigan is my home state. i have been an expat living abroad since 2010.

i can only comment as a natives view point to the state, not from an expats point of view about living in michigan.

the natural resources are beautiful and really vary from the area you are in.

i had never had any issues making new friends or a new social circle when relocating to a new city or changing employment.
(as an expat living in finland that has been a different story)

the unemployment rate is high in michigan, true. however finding employment would really depend on one's qualifications and skills and of course the type of work one is willing to do.
as an example... my daughter works 2 retail jobs that pay $8+ per hour, cleans houses and she is a college student.

on relocating in the state, i never had an issue finding acceptable housing in my budget.
location and price is completely relative to housing prices be it lake front, urban, rural, isolated rural, suburban, big city, little town. true of any state and personal preference and budget.

the weather. it's a big state and it also varies by location. seems the weather has been odd for years. summers are hotter than 'normal' seeing high temps more like the southern states and the winters are all over the board as well, either with lots of snow/ice or very little. you can count on the weather changing A LOT :)

hope you found this helpful in some way.

Not much to say yet! Just arrived two weeks ago, will be for at least 5 years. Transferred from Germany. Have South African wife and a young boy. So far we are enjoying it. Currently in a hotel in Troy but will be moving to Rochester Hills soon. Just waiting on SSN! :)