Extending Philippines tourist visa for 1 month vs longer?

As an American tourist extending an Philippines automatically-granted tourist visa, is there any harm in asking for more months than I need? Are they more likely to grant a 1 month extension than a 3 month extension? (The tourist visa “Consolidated general application form for tourist visa extension” has a box “Number of Months requested”.)

I'm staying in the Philippines for an uncertain period of time while my Filipina girlfriend tries to get a job and a work visa overseas so we can move elsewhere. I first came to the Philippines three months ago. I extended the 30 day tourist visa once, and then we left the country for a week of vacation. A month ago, we came back to the Philippines, with me once again on a tourist visa, and I just extended it for 30 days.

Hi Styoung, If i recall they give you 30 day automatic tourist  visa upon arrival to Phil. Next time you can do another 30 day extension only. After the 2nd extension, you need to pay 50.00 dollars  for the ACR card plus your extension fees. After that you can extend for 2 , or 4 or 6 months extensions .  I just renewed mine for 6 months for P 7,000.  This site may help you. ..................................................................Extension of Authorized Stay Beyond 59 days - Bureau of Immigration
www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirement … /extension

scott1953 wrote:

Hi Styoung, If i recall they give you 30 day automatic tourist  visa upon arrival to Phil. Next time you can do another 30 day extension only. After the 2nd extension, you need to pay 50.00 dollars  for the ACR card plus your extension fees. After that you can extend for 2 , or 4 or 6 months extensions .  I just renewed mine for 6 months for P 7,000.  This site may help you. ..................................................................Extension of Authorized Stay Beyond 59 days - Bureau of Immigration
www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirement … /extension

An updated link to the above

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requ … nd-59-days

So, once I have my ACR card, will I be able to immediately extend to 6 months the next time I enter the Philippines, rather than only applying for the 1 month extension at first?

The nearest immigration extension office to me (Makati) does "receiving but not processing" of the ACR card initial application. Does that mean it'll take a lot longer than if I went to the main office in Intramuros? Should I expect to go back the following week to pick the results up?

Your ACR card is good for 1 year. If you leave the Phil. and reenter, you have to start the  tourist visa process all over again  with the 30 day free when you reenter. but your ACR is still valid for 1 year. Like me, i just paid and extended for 6 months. If i leave the Phil. the 6 month extension i paid for is invalidated per immigration official i asked.

styoung wrote:

The nearest immigration extension office to me (Makati) does "receiving but not processing" of the ACR card initial application. Does that mean it'll take a lot longer than if I went to the main office in Intramuros? Should I expect to go back the following week to pick the results up?

......................Living in CDO when i filled out the ap for my original  ACR card  at the immigration office here, it took like 2 months to get it back. But you have a paid receipt to show if asked. They called me when it finally came in for me to come and pick up. On my ACR renewal this year, they just took my 50.00 dollars and i did not have to fill out any form this time. It was ready and they texed me to let me know i could pick it up after only like 2 weeks.

I am also planning a 6 month stay in the Philippines and after checking out the updated link provided by pej1111  I'm a bit confused.  It was my understanding I would come in on my passport which is good for the first 30 days.  Then I need to apply for a 29-day extension (which they call a waiver).  After that I thought you could extend for any additional months (in my case I'd want 4 more months) in one shot.  When I looked at the link provided it appears that you have to extend only two months at a time.  The first 2-mth extension is Php 5700. plus ACR costs of Php 550.  Then they show a chart for "After regular extension of two months" with a cost of Php 2930.  Am I reading that correctly?  Can you not extend for 4 months in one shot?

Also, I noticed on the old form that it says you need 2 color photos 2"x2" but there is nothing on the new form or checklist mentioning photos.  Does anyone know if photos are still required for a visa extension?

Last question.  What's the purpose of the ACR card?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

LOL, just googled the ACR card so have the answer to my last question. 

Would still appreciate feedback on the visa extension process.

Thanks again.

nosredna wrote:

I am also planning a 6 month stay in the Philippines and after checking out the updated link provided by pej1111  I'm a bit confused.  It was my understanding I would come in on my passport which is good for the first 30 days.  Then I need to apply for a 29-day extension (which they call a waiver).  After that I thought you could extend for any additional months (in my case I'd want 4 more months) in one shot.  When I looked at the link provided it appears that you have to extend only two months at a time.  The first 2-mth extension is Php 5700. plus ACR costs of Php 550.  Then they show a chart for "After regular extension of two months" with a cost of Php 2930.  Am I reading that correctly?  Can you not extend for 4 months in one shot?

Also, I noticed on the old form that it says you need 2 color photos 2"x2" but there is nothing on the new form or checklist mentioning photos.  Does anyone know if photos are still required for a visa extension?

Last question.  What's the purpose of the ACR card?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

I understand your confusion and i go through the same thing every time i go to immigration for an extension. I have learned to bring extra money, photos and copy's of my passport. Like an immigration officer told me when i questioned her about what it said on there web site, she said "all that matters is what i tell you i need for you to receive your extension". Like i stated earlier, i just did a 6 month extension but was given the option for a 2, 4 or 6 month extension. Yes, you still need to supply them a  2x2 photo on the new 1 page extension form plus a copy of the entrance date to the Phil. and cover photo page of your passport. And a 2x2 photo when you apply for an ACR card. By the way, the ACR card cost   is $ 50.00 US dollars, not Php550,  and  you have to pay in PHP'S which is around P 5,000. I figure the purpose of the ACR card is an easy way for them to make 50.00 dollars off foreigners  and a way to find us if they are looking for us in country. Also if you dont already know, they extended the time foreigners can reside here on extended tourist  visas from 12 months to 36 months now before we have to leave the country and start the confusing process all over again. Good luck!

styung after your free first month you can only extend for 1 month then 6 months after that, ACR card or not all u need now for extension is your passport and the new simple form thats it

Upon entry to the Philippines, I believe you have a free 30 day visit with just your passport.  If you want to extend your visit beyond 30 days, the first Visa can be issued to you for only 30 days.   If you need or want to extend further, the second extension can be from 30 days to 5 or 6 months.  (The longer the extension, the higher the fee).  However, if you are granted a 5 0r 6 month extension, and you leave the country for any reason before the expiry date, your long term Visa is no longer valid!   For that reason, only get a Visa for as long as you need it...
I am a Canadian, but I think the rules are the same for a US Citizen.   You will also need to have an ACR i card on your second extension... A basic non-resident ACR I card is relatively straightforward to get as well. 
Many travel agents around Manila will look after all this for you. It just cost you additional pesos, but saves you the agony of visits and long lines at the Embassy.

Bob18, do you have actual experience using a travel agent to extend your Visa? This is the first I've heard of this possibility. If so, do they do the service without expecting you to book travel with them? Also what part of Canada are you from and how long have you been living in the Philippines?

You can apply for a single entry 6 month or 1 year visa at the Consulate office in the USA or your home country,  Please check for the current cost, ( prior cost were $60/6 mos.,  $90/1 year.

The ACR card is an Alien Registration Card/ID card.  It allows you to travel without your passport and avail of senior discounts for retirees over 60.

Under Immigration Memorandum Circular No. SBM-2013-003, non-visa required national may extend their stay up to thirty six (36) months while visa required national may extend their stay up to twenty four (24) months.

Just a comment on the previous couple of remarks; it is true that you can apply for a Visa to the Philippines in your home country to extend your beyond 30 days.  What is not clear with the previous response is that there are basically 2 types of Visas.  A single entry visa and a multiple entry visa.  The single entry visa is just an extension of a single visit to 59 days.  You may extend that visit once you are in the Philippines for up to six months.   The multiple entry visa can be purchased for 6 months or 12 months, byt that still only allows each visit to be up to 59 days.  You can make as many 59 day trips in and out of the country as you like within that 6 month or 12 month period.  This Visa type is available in many countries including for sure the USA and Canada.  Just check on-line.
A number of travel agencies here in the Philippines will do the visa work for you.  I have used one located in the lower level of  Makati  Palace on P.Burgos, but I see signs posted at many other agencies offering the same service.   All these agencies make use of a 3rd party that collects all the visa applications and takes them to the Philippine immigration for processing.  I have witnessed the arrival of these 'runners' at immigration  with a bagful of applications. 
I also see the comment about 'Visa exempt Nationals' able to obtain a 2 month to 2 year extension, but I am from Canada and last attended the extension office of immigration here in Makati for an extension beyond my 59 days on my multi entry visa.   The maximum extension I could get was up to 6 months.   If you attempt to clarify the situation in person because you read or heard differently, the response may be "It does not matter what you read, these are the rules! "
That was my answer...

Correct.

29 days free
then you get one month for $60

then you can get two month extention for $175

you can keep getting two month extensions for three years.
at the cost of $175 is my understanding.

Conclusion. Unless you get married and stay, it costs about $1000 dollars to stay the first year in PL, Then if you are over 55 post a bond of $10,ooo  you can stay with no fees.
If 35 and over post a bond of $50,000 I think. It would be reasonable to double check my info. I am repeating what a friend told me.

If you leave the PL you can get your money back but you can not touch your money while you are here.

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/co … ces-2/visa

Types of Philippines Visas

Applying for a Philippine visa will require that the applicant's passport be valid for six months beyond the applicant's date of departure from the Philippines. The passport must have at least one blank visa page.

a. Tourist Visa (For pleasure or business) 9 (a) Visa  [CLICK HERE]

b. Visa for Minors – Travelling Either Alone or Accompanied by a Guardian [CLICK HERE]

c. Non-Quota Immigrant Visas

1. Spouse of a Filipino citizen (13-a) [CLICK HERE]

2. Unmarried Children under 21 years old of a Filipino citizen (13-a) [CLICK HERE]

3. Natural Born citizens of the Philippines who have acquired foreign citizenship (13-g) [CLICK HERE]

d. Quota Visas [CLICK HERE]

e. Student Visas – 9 (f) Visa [CLICK HERE]

f. 47 (A) (2) visa [CLICK HERE]

g. Special Investors Resident Visa (SIRV) [CLICK HERE]

h. Special Resident Retiree Visa (SRRV) [CLICK HERE]

Very informative reply thank you. I am planning on visiting the Philippines soon (UK citizen) and just so I'm clear on the process and have understood it correctly:

1. I can stay for 30 days no visa needed on a UK passport

2. I can then extend my stay while in the PH by +29 days

OR

3. I can apply for a 59 day tourist visa from here in the UK. I can extend this by upto 6 months while in the PH

OR

4. I can also apply for a 12-month multiple entry tourist visa from here in the UK. However each visit is limited to 59 days

Is this correct? Thanks very much!

Yes...  That seems correct to my understanding...

So many are confused by the tourist visa terms but it's relatively simple.

You can get the 29 day extension at Manila Airport (and I believe Cebu too, not sure). This means you will need to visit immigration again in 59 days (30+29).

After this you can get a 1 month, 2 month or up to 6 month TV (Tourist Visa). You can do this until you've stayed for 36 months. Then you need to leave and return.

You DON'T need to get an ACR each time you go to extent your stay, obviously. Expiry is written on the back side of the card.

I'm from the USA I've been here in Philippines since July of 2017. I use the BOI office at SM Aura mall. It's on the 8th floor of the office towers. It's quick easy and painless..all my visa extension visits there have been completed in less than 20 min with the exception of my ACR-I card..and for that I only had to come back after lunch the same day. So I walked around the mall awhile, had lunch then walked back in the office and picked up my passport. I always go in the mornings there is no people no lines it's a very nice air conditioned room. You fill out a simple form and give them your passport. They will give you a paper with list of fees You walk to another window and pay your fee then they call you in a few minutes to release your passport with sticker inside. My first extension was a required 29 day extension which was PHP 2130. My second extension (you can now choose your length 1 month,2 month,6 month) was for 2 month including the ACR-I card (which is mandatory) was PHP 6467. No photos needed they just copied my pic from my passport. My third extension was also 2 months and cost me PHP 1930 . I really was expecting much worse conditions but so far it's been a good experience. I don't know what it's like at any other office but my experience at this office all 3 times has been the same. Very pleasant ! I'm scheduled to go back in January for my next extension. From what I have learned the difference in price between a 1 month a 2 month and a 6 month visa is 500 a month. Meaning to say you pay a base set of fees then 500per month extended. For example my last extension was for 2 months it cost PHP 1930 if I chose 6 months extension it would have been 2000 more for 4 additional months for a total of 3930 for 6 months. The unpredictable part is what the base fees are going to be. This has been my experience this far I hope some of this information helps

UPDATE: I went and got my 3rd 2 month visa extension today.since it was my first visa extension after 6 months of being here. there was an added fee of 1400 making the total fee for my 2 month visa this time php3650. Also the express lane fee is back so if you want it within minutes it's an extra php 1000. If you did regular you will have to go back and get
passport in 3 days. It cost me a little over php500 round trip in taxi so I just paid the php1000 express fee not to come back in 3 days...my passport was ready in minutes. So today for a two month visa plus express lane fee was Php4650.

UPDATE: I went and got my 3rd 2 month visa extension today.since it was my first visa extension after 6 months of being here. there was an added fee of 1400 making the total fee for my 2 month visa this time php3650. Also the express lane fee is back so if you want it within minutes it's an extra php 1000. If you did regular you will have to go back and get
passport in 3 days. It cost me a little over php500 round trip in taxi so I just paid the php1000 express fee not to come back in 3 days...my passport was ready in minutes. So today for a two month visa plus express lane fee was Php4650.

Hello Keno, I went to get a 6 month extension in Sept. 2017 - March 2018. Here were my total fees paid.  Monthly Extension Fee P 3,000, Annual Report P 300, Monthly Extension Application Fee P 900, Visa Sticker Fee P 100, Certificate Fee P 500, Legal Research Fee P 40. Total 6 month fee i paid was P 4,840. I have never been required to leave my Passport with BOI. All i do is copy the face page and page of date i entered the country. I don't leave my Passport with anyone! Seems like BOI charged you a lot for just a 2 month extension? I have never heard of a P 1,000 express fee?  I was told its less expensive for a 4 or 6 month extension. When i go for my extension the whole process takes less than 10 minutes wait time and i leave with sticker and my Passport. I use the BOI office in Cagayan de Oro where i reside. Seems like BOI took financial advantage of you?

In 2017 I didn't pay any express lane fees either I got 3 extensions (30 day and 2 extensions of 2 months each).Duterte stopped express lane fees in 2017. Starting in 2018 he allowed them again. So if you get an extension now it's either php 1000 to get the stamp now or not pay the fee and wait 3 days to come back and get your passport. My last 3 extension took less than 10 min and I didn't leave my passport.

I guess they figure foreigners wont miss that extra P 1,000. So i will  just pay it in 2018 at renewal time cause i would never leave my passport with them.

Scott1953, when you renew for 2 months do you have to provide proof of departure within that 2 month period; i.e. a copy of a plane ticket?  What other documentation do you provide other than your passport?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Nosredna, I am sure you know we can extend our tourist visa for 36 months before we have to leave the country and start the process again? You need to show your exit  plane  ticket before you can board a plane to come here and before you can exit the country, you need to show BOI your exit ticket and get an  ECC document before hand at BOI office  before you are allowed to leave. My understanding is you can get a 2, 4 or 6 month extension. I get a 6 month extension cause it seems less expensive. All i give them is a copy of the face page and copy of my entrance page from my passport and the money for extension. Hope that helps?

I have extended my tourist visa at least six times during the last three years or so and was never asked to show an onward ticket.

I asked immigration Monday...they said the onward ticket is only at the airport...once your your in philippines just don't over stay your visa you can renew your visa up to 36 months and just buy your exit ticket when your ready to leave