A public primary school in Girona

Hi,
I am seeking for a good public primary school for my 9 year old son. The problem is that he doesn't know Spanish and just knows a little English. I want to know if anybody have had such a problem.
Thanks
Arash

Hello,

I moved to Spain in the 1990s with my family from the US. We lived in Castell d'fels for one year, and then my daughter and I spent a second year in L'Hospitalet. My kids ages were 6, 11, and 13, and their adaptation depended somwhat on their age and their personality. They are all grown up now, and all consider their time in Spain as an excellent experience. Having a second language has been helpful in their careers.

First of all, I believe the primary language in Gerona in school will be Catalan, as Gerona is part of Catalonia. You may think of this in a positive manner in that they will be learning two languages, Spanish and Catalan, instead of just one. My first advice is that you communicate to the school administration your child's level in Catalan, English, and Spanish. They may have a program to integrate your child. Ask about other "immigrant" children (note that non-Catalan speaking kids from other parts of Spain were included in this group when we were there) that are your child's age and try to acquant yourself with their parents. Go to local "APA" meetings. The APA group are parents and this group can be helpful in getting used textbooks, and finding out about other organizations such as scouts which may be of interest. The APA can also be helpful in making contacts and finding which teachers are best for your child. Finally, it is important to make contact and communicate with your child's teacher, especially to stay current with how he ot she is integrating. Finally,it is important to bring textbooks and novels in your home language at your childs level and a bit more advanced, so he or she doesn't get behind when you return home, if that is your plan. Also if you can afford a language tutor and can arrive before school starts so they can begin learning before the first day, that will be helpful.

Many of the things I offer as advice, I did not do with my children. In spite of this, the older two adapted well. My oldest son, who is very outgoing, made lots of friends and adapted well. My daughter, who is more selective, made fewer friends, but is still in contact wirh many of them. My youngest son who was 6 when he arrived, had more difficulty in adapting. I wasn't aware of the problem, until my daughter told me that "it is so sad seeing him at patio all by himself". I immediately met with his teacher and asked that an effort be made to get him together with "immigrants". Part of his difficulty was that many Catalan children either didn't know Spanish well or didn't wish to communicate in Spanish at that age. All my kids arrived in Spain with some knowledge in Spanish but no Catalan. My youngest son played video games a lot on my laptop while he was here, he had some friends, but we had to make arrangements to take him to play at his age, which slowed his integration.