Thinking about teaching English

Hello,

I'm getting my tefl certification in the fall, and plan to be somewhere by September next year.

I'm trying to do my due diligence, and find well recommended schools to work for or reportable agencies to connect with.

I've looked into Korea and China and it's not hard at all to find this information.

I haven't found much related to teaching in Vietnam, though.  There's the recruiting companies website and the school's website, and crickets.  It's weird.

If anyone has any suggestions for how I could improve my searches, or if you have any recommendations / warnings to pass along, I would really appreciate it!

The only advice I can give you is to be very careful. Vietnam is awash with native English language teachers and many of them are on very low salaries.

I have been repeatedly asked to teach English, as it is my mother tongue, and did teach a couple of kids as a favour to neighbours - at no cost. Never again! To begin with people will bring kids of different ages and differing abilities to the same class - ages from 6 - 11, nightmare.

One of the problems is that kids in Vn schools seem to be taught to pass the exams and not to actually be able to communicate easily.

Doubtless there are some good schools around hough, so you need to choose carefully.

Thanks for your reply, Matt.  With the lack of information I'm finding I think your advice to be careful is spot on. 

It's still weird that there aren't expats posting all over about how awful (or good) teaching in Vietnam can be; they don't want to, or can't. No getting past that huge red flag I don't think.

Plus searching the names of companies that claim to have many jobs is always leading to a dead end.  It's very much like they don't exist.

Thanks again for your reply!

No worries. I might also mention that as a foreigner in Vietnam you may find that the employment laws are suddenly elastic in favour of your Vietnamese employer if you have problem - unless of course you have a Vietnamese wife with very highly placed relatives .....

Yeah, running into those sorts of problems in a communist country must be the stuff of nightmares.

Given these issues, a nice safe posting in a S Korean public school doesn't sound so bad after all!

Hi
I have some classes in da nang, viet nam. If you are available, please cv to me
Best regards

#2 - QUOTE
I have been repeatedly asked to teach English, as it is my mother tongue, and did teach a couple of kids as a favour to neighbours - at no cost. Never again! To begin with people will bring kids of different ages and differing abilities to the same class - ages from 6 - 11, nightmare.
UNQUOTE
Exactly !  My VN wife used to 'volunteer' me to teach English and the odd adult. Never again!

Hi can anyone advise me on the teaching times and school hours in Vietnam

Melgov wrote:

Really ? You can't be serious.

Melgov wrote:

If you mean language schools, they normally have evening classes during the week (Mon - Fri) around 5 to 9 pm and morning, afternoon and evening classes on weekends.

Regular primary-secondary schools are pretty much the same as other countries, starting at maybe 8 am and ending at 3 or 4 in the afternoon(?).

Hello thank you for your reply.

In my country primary schools are from 8 to 1pm
Secondary 8 to 2.30

But I know Asian school run longer.

Reason i asked is I read in Vietnam children attend half a day. Thanks for the clarity

So which mean if get a job at a primary school I school expect to work Monday to Friday from 7 to 5?

Melgov wrote:

So which mean if get a job at a primary school I school expect to work Monday to Friday from 7 to 5?

With a very few exceptions, public schools in Vietnam do not hire foreign English teachers directly but contract with the private language centers to provide teachers on a per class basis.  A typical public school schedule might be 20-24 hours per week with a maximum around 30 hours.  You will usually meet a class only one or two periods a week and they will meet with a local English teacher the other days.  You will likely be asked to focus on spoken English and the local teachers will stress vocabulary and grammar.  Work may be at more than one location but hopefully all in one district.  Note too that you are paid only for actual class time, not even the five minutes between classes.

Melgov wrote:

Hello thank you for your reply.

In my country primary schools are from 8 to 1pm
Secondary 8 to 2.30

But I know Asian school run longer.

Reason i asked is I read in Vietnam children attend half a day. Thanks for the clarity

For public schools, see THIGV's post above, which is accurate.

There are also private primary-secondary schools that often use the word "international" in their name although they are not fully accredited as a true international school offering the IB. Here, "international" just means that the curriculum is taught in English.

On the other hand, there are also several IB schools, if you have the necessary qualifications.

These types of private schools may offer something more like a regular full-time position and often hire  teachers for subjects other than English, such as science, history, etc.

The best thing to do is contact the schools themselves.

Are you serious? We are in the midst of a pandemic. You cannot come here now. Schools are just beginning to open under pretty severe regulations.

Nobody even knows yet how many businesses have even survived this shut down let alone are ready to hire FTs.

I can count job ads on one hand lately. Some are offering online positions until...

Many governmental health agencies are warning that the infection rate will spike and be even more contagious in a second round expected this autumn.

I don't think working in a foreign country is a realistic option at this time. You should investigate online teaching. Lots of places are willing to train. Google the equipment you need.  It's probably cheaper than flying here and securing accommodation, living expenses. There is far more online work then there ever was in person at this time.

Try VIPKids for example.

Hello yes true thank you for you feedback.

I am not considering it for anytime this or next year.

Thank you for your concern and update

Online jobs are just not easy too. I have tried. With little response. I have all the equipment needed  just need a yes.