Anyone want to start a Facebook group?

Having it "readable" and being able to participate are two different things. I wouldn't consider joining a FB group if I weren't first able to see what kind of people are in the group and whether there was anything discussed that would be of benefit to me.

I can only speak for myself and folks I know, but most people have private Facebook profiles that are closed to the public and away from Google searches.   To me, a public group would mean that all group conversations are not only blasted out to the entire internet in the same way that forums, including this one does, but also to everyone on our friend's list, which I for one, am not a fan of.  Maybe you use Facebook differently than I, but there is no one way to use facebook correctly.

Privacy is a concern for many of us, whether to protect ourselves for employment or from random individuals up to no good.  I have had a stalker follow me around on social media for over decade now.  I very rarely participate in open forums and thought long and hard before I signed up for this one.  I try to be very careful what information I divulge but forums like this one its impossible to go for long without sharing basic demographics (and deleting posts aren't allowed).  It is only because I am now out of the states and the likelihood of my stalker showing up to my door or events, as he's done in the past, is down to nil.  Of course my experience is my own and not anyone else's here, but in my opinion it would be wise to make *any* facebook group private that has people freely sharing personal information and their whereabouts. 

So my vote is obviously for Closed group.

I vote member's only Rey.

I'm not a frequent user of FB, but I would want it for members only.

As to people that misbehave, we can ban them from the site and remove their posts, if anyone has any issue let me know and I will take action as I will be moderating the site and do not need to get approval.

I vote for members only,

Either way do remember that we could end up with several thousand members anyway, so consider before you post anything you don't want 5,000 people to know.

I vote members only.

Let me explain 2 items.
a) We are making a closed group, you have to ask to be accepted or be invited by a member.
b) Default of close group allows the posts to be readable by the world and can end up in Google and other search engines.

#### We are asking for a vote if you want the posts to be readable by the world or only by members of the closed group. There is a setting to make it group readable only instead of the default.

Regardless how the vote goes, only members will be able to post or comment.

Not a heavy user of Facebook, so I will be learning as I go.
Not a dating site, a friends get together site.
Sometime on Monday the FB group will be up and will have the setting based on the vote. I will announce the  group name and I can invite you if you send me a PM with your FB profile URL.

Personally, I would prefer members only.

I vote members only

Open groups in FB are pretty horrible. Closed and private is the way to go.

Rey,

One of the groups I belong to the post have to be approved before they are posted. Not sure if you have considered that.

Member readable only sounds preferable to me.

The groups (I belong to garage sale groups) I belong to are now closed, but were open when I joined. I would never have joined in the first place had I not been able to read the posts and get a feeling for the group before joining.

When the group is closed, nobody new can join. Do people here REALLY it that way?

And being "member readable" will not stop a troll. It just means the troll will become a member before trolling.

The new Facebook group has been created, you can find it here. The moment it was created 2 people asked to be added, neither one looked like they belong so I did not add them. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/454610751563324/
Can be found by name also: Expats in Puerto Rico

So for now, send me a PM with your FB profile link so I know to invite you.

Things are going to be slow at first, so bear with me, I am learning.
Rey

So is this page only for expat forum members for Facebook?

The page is for any legitimate person that is in Puerto Rico or wants to come to Puerto Rico. Obviously locals are also to be accepted so that the group can find locals that want to become friends with the expats.

Thanks for setting up the group.

Well including Admins, we have 13 members so far. A little hectic because I am not super familiar with the interface and having to look at every profile of the people asking to join. Sometimes sending messages to see what their interest is.

We had our first Algerian member request in the group, nothing in his profile showed any interest in PR so I declined him.

I sent a request and receive a single-sentence response asking why I wanted to join because the group was not about Trump.

I don't belong to any political groups, so I thought that was odd and rather presumptive.

lgustaf wrote:

I sent a request and receive a single-sentence response asking why I wanted to join because the group was not about Trump.

I don't belong to any political groups, so I thought that was odd and rather presumptive.

The request came from the profile is Linda Kennedy Gustafsson and the first thing I saw was the following:
"Amazing how many of Trump's team had amnesia until "outted" on their Russian meetings"

Followed by:
BRUTAL: Australian Journalist Sums Up Trump's G20 Visit In 2 Minutes news

As at that time I had no idea who Linda was, I send out the above message asking why you wanted to join and telling you that this was not a Trump related site.

Did I accept the wrong member?

No, that was me. I joined The Spot after discovering its existence here, and I was accepted without my intentions questioned.

I post stuff on FB as a member of FB ("what's on your mind"), not as a member of any group.

I just requested an invite under my FB profile, "Bronx A'Rican". My profile pic is not my picture (it's one of my favorite artisit Noe Two's natural hair grafitti pieces) so I wanted to give you a head's up.

Hi, Rey. I just requested an invite also, under Barbara Schutt.  Profile pic is a heart on a beach :)

Schuttzie wrote:

Hi, Rey. I just requested an invite also, under Barbara Schutt.  Profile pic is a heart on a beach :)

Done

Anybody else? We are up to 18 now.

Did you find me, Allan?

westernprguy wrote:

Did you find me, Allan?

Nope, what is your FB profile?
Alexandres Lugo? if so yes I added you and your friend.

me too please - I sent you a pm earlier Rey, thank you  :)

dblahusch wrote:

me too please - I sent you a pm earlier Rey, thank you  :)

I just invited you

Ok, we are up to 20, if you have not been added let me know  as far as I know there is no invite outstanding.

Alexandres Lugo is me Rey. You added me earlier today.

westernprguy wrote:

Did you find me, Allan?

No I do not seem to have a request from you, send me your FB profile, just hit your profile and copy the UR and send it to me, fail that give me the name of your profile.

ReyP wrote:

Well including Admins, we have 13 members so far. A little hectic because I am not super familiar with the interface and having to look at every profile of the people asking to join. Sometimes sending messages to see what their interest is.

We had our first Algerian member request in the group, nothing in his profile showed any interest in PR so I declined him.

Please add me! Just sent a request and message.

-Donna

Anyone knows Mark Peyton?

We are up to 24 (including admins) invite friends you like the rest of the members to meet.

With so much spam going on in FB, I think it should be a close by invite group.

It was created closed and messages are only visible to members like the majority wanted. So far we have about 26 members and 3 admins

We are Raul Linda Santana in fb

adlin20 wrote:

We are Raul Linda Santana in fb

Done

We are up to 40 regular members plus 4 admins including me. That is in less than 24 hours.